XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 pm 

I think I know where this is heading but here it goes:

Just had a power flicker here (no idea why since no storms here). About 2 seconds but everything electronic crashed. My 08 iMac booted up no problem. I also have a QS running 24/7. It did the startup sound when I pressed the power button but because of my shared single monitor setup it didn't show a picture. I then switched to it for video the way I normally would but it was as if the cable wasn't plugged in. I then went to the basement and hauled up two monitors and connected them one by one to the QS. "No signal". I tried resetting PRAM, but oddly it would only chime once, not again. Tried that twice. I then reset PMU. Took a few tries to get it to do anything when I pressed the startup button on the front but then startup sound but no still no video.

G4 is sitting open on the floor next to me. On button glowing as well as red LED inside. Fans spinning. HDD, videocard heatsink and CPU heatsink slightly warm but I can't tell if it is truly booted or not. Normally the shared drive would appear in the Finder sidebar of my iMac but it hasn't.

Can't really think of what else to try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Do you have a USB or FW Drive with an LED on it that you can plug into it to see if the drive flashes as it gets mounted?

With the door open & while booting up put your fingers on the HDD to feel it ratcheting as it loads the OS?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:13 pm 

Good idea. I have a bunch of flash drives all with LEDs I can attach to an extension cable and see if they respond. Will try later (suppertime here).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:16 am 

Didn't try flash drive but discovered main drive was toast. Plugging it into independent power source, no spinning except once, but then it never appeared on desktop or in DU. Still doesn't explain no video since it should show flashing ?.

Next idea. I have a headless/bad display 2006 iMac. Boots into Tiger okay but directly into former user's account which is not admin. Because it is headless I can't see lines in single user mode. Tried making new admin by blindly typing in commands bu no-go. Won't boot to clone backup of my Tiger from G4. Not recognized as valid startup disk. Not sure if this is because old clone not GUID? So, how to get OS onto old iMac? I have no Tiger discs. Would like Tiger because I use this exclusively for Applescripts logging Internet stuff and know they work in Tiger. I have Leopard discs, and unopened box of Snow Leopard Server (need to find). Not sure if optical drive works on iMac. GuessI could set up comething complicated with trying to boot iMac to TDM then clone my old Tiger backup onto it that way, or use external optical on m 08 iMa to install something using via TDM to old iMac?

Sorry for bad typing. Have tons on gear on the floor here and have to lean over sideways to reeach this com[uter!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:52 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Want to sell your SL Server?

No other PPC Macs around?

I have some IDE drives, I can't see what is on them, but some must have OSX installs on them.

Do you have external case that can use IDE Drives?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:02 am 

Only other PPC Mac is G3 beige in basement not turned on for 15 years.

I have IDE drives but not sure if it is worth the trouble since if drive was bad it stitll should have shown drive error on display.

Have old Voyageur Q from IDE days, plus universal drive adapter IDE SATA USB2. Been using those to see if any drives with OS are accepted by 06 Mac.

Keeping hold of SLS for just this kind of situation, plus for acccess to old st¨ff w˙en I'm forced to use Mojave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, OK.

On SLS can you believe the prices?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-OS-X ... 3443745473

https://www.ebay.com/p/Apple-Mac-OS-X-1 ... /127808179

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:02 am 

Should earliest intel iMacs boot to USB or Firewire? I thought USB.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

As I recall both...
Quote:
Update: As the comments point out and Low-End Mac confirms, support for USB booting was present in the Mac OS 9 era with the introduction of dual-channel USB in 1999, available first on the slot-loading iMac and one model of the AGP PowerMac G4; however, your mileage and performance may vary when trying to get these machines to boot Mac OS X from USB devices (as has been previously reported on TUAW). Our apologies for the error!

When I wrote my post Tuesday about booting a Mac off an external USB hard drive, I was surprised how many people followed up to tell me that it wouldn't work, and that I needed a Firewire drive to externally boot a Mac.

While [much] older machines did indeed need Firewire for bootable external media, that is no longer true. Since the release of the Intel Mac computers [and well beforehand -- see update above], and with Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later, you can start up from an installed system on a USB hard disk. Here's the Apple support document that tells you how to do it.

I wonder if some early IntelMacs need the PPC workaround for USB booting?

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 1112336384

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:12 am 

Not sure at the moment which is my Tiger clone. I have 10 drives from the past 15byears. Somme seem to be clones but of course the actual folder names for all are the same. Sogoing with Leopard for the moment. Had to start in TDM to erase the iMac's drive because either Leopard disc doen't have erase capability or it was on part of scren i could not see. Now instaslling Leopard from DVD. Fortunately optial drie still working.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:D 8-)