XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:56 am 

Hi! Hope everyone is having fun.

When I showed an incomplete version of this image some expressed some interest and I finally managed to finish it yesterday. It was rendered in Bryce 7 Pro on a dual core 2.3GHz G5, and in spite of the large number of light sources it took less than 15 minutes. Figures were posed in Poser, then exported to disk and imported into Bryce because it has better lighting. All the musical instruments were modelled in Blender by me and are now fully rigged for Poser. The guitar straps were a pain to do, oh hell yeah...

I will set a 6k version rendering when I go to bed tonight on the same machine and well see how long it takes to render.

Attachments:
File comment: Best band in the galaxy!
The London Singer.jpg [502.81 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, long time no see, but I guess you've been busy!

Any luck with your original G5?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:33 am 

After the Quad G5 failed thermal calibration I put it aside for when I have time and commitment to try again. Not sure what else I can do, but I will try the pump disassembly and cleaning I saw documented a while ago. Supposedly sometimes the pumps clog up and flushing without disassembly won't clear them out. Apparently there are about ten varieties of pump that were used, so similar in external appearance that it can be hard to tell them apart. Some are sealed for life and can't be opened, and my Quad G5, of course, has one of those. However I do have a spare pump in another dead G5 that someone gave me and although that pump looks superficially the same it seems to be one of those that can be opened. I will try anyway. Even if it can't be opened the other G5 died from a short caused by water ingress, not from a faulty cooling system, so I will swap the pumps and see what happens.

A leaky roof in the computer room is a serious threat to your hardware as the donor of that dead G5 found out... Lucky for me I have a landlord that maintains the place where I live better than that.

I have no time at the moment to do any of this stuff, I am recently out of hospital and way behind with work. Since I have two working dual G5 systems I am using them to get my work done. Photoshop CS2 is keeping me busy part of the time and making Poser stuff is also keeping me busy. Once I am better recovered from the infection that put me in hospital I have some carpentry to do for a customer in the South Kensington district of London. She wants extra storage built in to her house and is willing to pay me to do it.

Yeah, busy is the right word...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:39 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
A leaky roof in the computer room is a serious threat to your hardware...

I've lost about $50K of computers & equipment to rain, 95% AFTER I pid for a roof repair & contractor won't show. :bonk: :upset:

Finally found a place that might redo my Qud G5... if I can ever save up any money wiliest dodging drops...

http://shop.wegenermedia.com/index.php? ... 426a45761f

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:16 pm 

for £50,000 it might be worth considering setting a lawyer on that contractor :shock:

Anyway I did remember last night to set the Dual 2.3 G5 rendering when I went to bed, and rendered the image at 6000x3272. It took Bryce 2 hours, 21 minutes and 55 seconds to render it while I slept. Before I rendered it I did a few tweaks, but Bryce 7 crashes now every time I try to make further changes to the file so it has to be declared finished. The changes aren't huge but I think they are improvements. Changed the colour of some of the spotlights and the bass player's costume colour too.

Attachment:
The London Singer.jpg [449.13 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by Fire Angel on Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:22 pm 

Here is a full sized clip from the 6k wide image:
Attachment:
Singer Cropped.jpg
Singer Cropped.jpg [ 132.77 KiB | Viewed 54 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 pm 

...and finally here's another full sized clip from that 6k image:

Attachment:
Keyboard Player Cropped.jpg [364.7 KiB]
Not downloaded yet