XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 am 

This place was recommended to me on the Apple support forums, as a place to find advice. Hello everybody!

I have a G5 quad for a few years and it is still my main computer. No money. Until recently the only money I earn was on the G5 Quad, from home, because I can't go out to work for health reasons. However recently the machine started overheating whenever the processors were loaded up.

Oh Shoot.....

It was tough, but I scraped together the cash to buy components and dismantled the G5 cooling system. That was terrifying, it's my only computer and I have little chance of getting another one in the near future. It was also terrifying booting up once it was rebuilt, but it spat out the start-up chime and booted first time! Yay me! Problem solved!

No.

It still overheats. It has new thermal paste (the old thermal paste was fine when I checked but I cleaned it off and put new paste on anyway) and it has new coolant. It isn't leaking. It works, but has to be put on reduced processor performance in the preferences or it overheats and shuts down, just as it did before the rebuild. OK, I know I rebuilt that thing properly, so what did I miss? Any ideas? Without this machine I earn no money.

I have a lot of software installed on the G5 and would need to buy much of it again if I get an Intel Mac. No chance yet, maybe next year if I can get the G5 going and earn some more cash. I can borrow cash from a friend if I have to just to get another G5 Quad on eBay, but I don't want to do that if I can get this machine working properly. I'm posting on it now, but I can't do serious work on it because it still overheats if pushed. In the UK a G5 Quad on eBay often goes for between £100 & £200, usually around £150 plus delivery. Painful. I spent £70 or so on parts and coolant and I am pretty sure it's rebuilt properly, so I am out of ideas. Can I get this thing working properly or not?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 am 

All the fans are okay? Visually inspect them too if you can because I know on some of mine (I have a G4) lint gets wrapped around the blades after a while. You've checked all the vents around the computer?

Have you checked Activity Monitor to see if there's any runaway process? On all my computers I run iStat Menus plus Macs Fan Control (not sure how far back that goes) so at a glance I can monitor CPU usage, temperatures, network traffic, RAM and HD usage, fan speed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am 

Limnos wrote:
All the fans are okay? Visually inspect them too if you can because I know on some of mine (I have a G4) lint gets wrapped around the blades after a while. You've checked all the vents around the computer?

Have you checked Activity Monitor to see if there's any runaway process? On all my computers I run iStat Menus plus Macs Fan Control (not sure how far back that goes) so at a glance I can monitor CPU usage, temperatures, network traffic, RAM and HD usage, fan speed.
Thanks for your response.

All the fans seem to be fine on visual inspection. I will try to hunt up some software to monitor them and see if that gives me any clues. I suspect it isn't the fans but maybe the pump, which is a big worry. Anyway I will check the fans and thank you again for your response.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hello.:)
Have you recalibrated the CPUs with ASD 2.6.3 ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm 

Which model G5 is this? Is it an air cooled or liquid cooled model?

There's a good summary of the liquid cooling systems Apple used on this page:
http://ppcarchive.dyniform.net/lcs-to-air-g5.html

If what you took off didn't look like any of them then it wasn't liquid cooled.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

MB...
Quote:
I have a G5 quad for a few years...

Great link btw MB. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:35 pm 

(scratches head) Oh I see. There was only one G5 quad model. Sorry I thought there were a couple. Guess I confused that with the dual models.

Since it uses liquid cooling, converting it to air like that article explains would be a good idea, although servicing the LCS system would also work. There are gobs of people talking about parts and fluid for the LCS systems, but air cooling would be more reliable provided you don't mind the fan noise.

What temperatures are you seeing on the memory controller? That's another weak spot, high temps there can cause memory problems, even failure if the BGA cracks (like Nvidia's problems a few years back).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I missed which G5 it was the first two times I read it... getting old. :!:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:28 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OH OH, I hope you & the G5 are still OK!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:01 am 

OK, the G5 has been checked using a hardware monitor and well, the pump seems to be the problem It runs at the right speeds but the thermal performance doesn't improve much as it goes faster, which suggests it is not pumping properly. I am going to get a dual 2.3 GHz G5 to replace the Quad, it will do everything at almost the same speed except 3D rendering, and then when finance permits I will seek the parts for an air-cooled conversion for the Quad. Dual 2.3 G5 machines are ridiculously cheap.

Once the G5 Quad has been replaced with a dual or is running properly again I will be pulling out all the stops to earn enough to finally go to an Intel Mac. Either one of the tower Mac Pros or a Hackintosh. I will run them side-by-side until I can get Intel native software for all my work and then I will finally leave the G5 behind.

Thanks all for piling in with suggestions and links.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

You probably know about or did this, but wondering if you purged all the air out of the LCS & lines.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:43 am 

BDAqua wrote:
You probably know about or did this, but wondering if you purged all the air out of the LCS & lines.
Thank you, yes, it was very carefully flushed, refilled and purged of air. Yes, there were a few very tiny bubbles present but not enough to cause problems. I modified the system slightly to include a bubble trap and when I checked after an hour of running the tiny bit of air was in the bubble trap. There wasn't much. I'll have to get a Dual 2.3 to tide me over, it won't hurt that much. I hope to get a dual 1.8 eventually and port the air cooling system into the Quad. Then I will work like crazy to raise the money for that Mac Pro or Hackintosh...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, great work, good luck, & keep us posted if you can. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

It sounds like you know more bout the G5 Quad the I do, so very likely you know this already, but in case somebody else stumbles across this thread...

On the Quad G5 the CPUs must be replaced in the same position they came out of, or ASD 2.6.3 will be needed to recalibrate the CPUs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:15 pm 

I thought I remembered reading that any time a G5 CPU was unmated from its heatsink that it technically needed to be recalibrated? Putting fresh thermal compound on means it needs to be recalibrated.

Though the recalibration requirements are a pretty long list... the room the G5 is in has to be cooled to a range of temperatures and so many feet long by so many feet wide, basically an odd list of requirements. I understand the physics of why they want the more weird parts of it but that list is pretty long.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I wasn't sure of other times the calibration was needed, might be worth trying anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:22 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
It sounds like you know more bout the G5 Quad the I do, so very likely you know this already, but in case somebody else stumbles across this thread...

On the Quad G5 the CPUs must be replaced in the same position they came out of, or ASD 2.6.3 will be needed to recalibrate the CPUs.
Yes, I wrote using a marker on the cooling system metal frame and on the CPU cards metal heat-transfer components an 'A' and a 'B' to make sure I got them back in the same order, which prevents the system insisting on calibration before it will run. The calibration should be avoided in cases where you aren't reasonably confident the system will pass because if it fails those CPUs have to be replaced. Somehow the system knows the CPU cards as individuals, so I assume they have some kind of serial number of their own that open firmware can read.

I am currently bidding on eBay on a pair of Dual G5 systems, one of which may end up being my work machine, the other a backup and/or source of parts to keep it running. I might then hunt up another suitable for transferring the air-cooling system to the G5 Quad.

Thanks everybody who has tried to be helpful here, it helps to keep my morale up when people try to help even if they post stuff I already knew. I can't work until I get the Quad going properly again or until I get another system to replace it, so I am stressed about money at the moment. Even to get those used G5s on eBay I am going to be borrowing money and I HATE borrowing money. Has to be done though :(

EDITED for spelling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good to hear... mostly, we're all rooting for you. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:54 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Any progress or good news for us?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:15 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Any progress or good news for us?
Thanks, it's a mixture.

I got one of the dual G5s I was bidding on but it turned out to be that odd model that can't take more then 4GB of RAM. I'll have to sell it and look for another because 4GB is nowhere near enough for what I do. Unfortunately the Dual 2.0GHz G5 is actually slower at 3D rendering than the Quad is even when the Quad is running the way I have it now, on reduced processor performance. 3D rendering is a part of what I need to do so I am hoping for a dual 2.3 at least. Then once I get that I will risk the thermal calibration on the Quad and if it doesn't pass I shall have to admit defeat and work on the dual processor/dual core machine.

On the good side, I have discovered that I can actually get real work done on the Quad even running as it is. I just did a batch of PhotoShop work for a German publisher and I didn't notice any problems with CS2 at all. I have even done some 3D graphics work in the last week and had no trouble even when I had to render an image. An image is below, someone else designed the 3D woman, but I did her clothes.

Attachment:
Suit-V-Test06.jpg [424.37 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, thanks for the report, good to hear you're getting some work done, (nice work, btw).

I found my Quad G5 quite useable on Reduced Processor, shame I can't find somebody to rebuild the LCS I'm quite incapble nowadays. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 pm 

Curious. I wasn't even aware of this before now, but apparently all the PCI G5s had 4 DIMM slots, the PCI-X models and PCIe models all had 8 slots.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powe ... slots.html

If you've upgraded your G5 with expansion cards you may want to limit yourself to looking at PCIe models so they can be moved over.

Thats why I limited myself to cherry picking PCI-X models from the recycling pile at work. I'm still not sure if any of them will actually work, they all lived a long hard life with limited surge protection, one of the worst power companies in the US, and a company who thought Macs weren't really computers so they got used until they stopped turning on. Maintenance? What maintenance? It's a Mac! :badteeth:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:44 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Curious. I wasn't even aware of this before now, but apparently all the PCI G5s had 4 DIMM slots, the PCI-X models and PCIe models all had 8 slots.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powe ... slots.html

If you've upgraded your G5 with expansion cards you may want to limit yourself to looking at PCIe models so they can be moved over.

Thats why I limited myself to cherry picking PCI-X models from the recycling pile at work. I'm still not sure if any of them will actually work, they all lived a long hard life with limited surge protection, one of the worst power companies in the US, and a company who thought Macs weren't really computers so they got used until they stopped turning on. Maintenance? What maintenance? It's a Mac! :badteeth:

Even if none of them work — unlikely — you ought to be able to make working systems by taking good parts from two or three systems and putting them together. I did that about a year ago for somebody, a woman who had a dual G5 she used for PhotoShop, and it died. Someone gave her two more dead G5 systems and I managed to get the parts from the two additional systems to get hers up and running again. She ended up with a better system actually because it now has two hard disks in it, enabling disk mirroring internal backup. I showed her how to use the disk cloning software she had to make the internal backup and now if her working boot disk dies the mac will just boot from the other disk. There is a third disk waiting in the cupboard of course, so the two-disk arrangement can be restored pretty quickly.

I have two 1.5TB hard drives in both of these G5s, since each of my 3D work projects tends to generate between 2GB and 5GB of new files. 3D modelling and texturing takes up a fair amount of storage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 pm 

Oh, and one of the G5 models with PCI slots is limited to 4GB instead of the normal 8GB for those with four DIMM slots. Trust my luck to get one without knowing they existed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 am 

Actually if you look at that link you'll notice that all the PCI models are listed as having 4 DIMM slots. That's what surprised me. I knew they had done it on the first generation but they kept going right up to PCIe (where it was finally banished). 4 DIMM slots in the non-PCIe models limits you to 4GB, only the PCIe models can accept 2GB DIMMs.