XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:17 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Your 09 MBP should be fine.

All out of stock of course.

Maximum RAM: 8 GB...
http://www.macofalltrades.com/Power-Mac ... p-j04a.htm

Maximum RAM: 8 GB...
http://www.macofalltrades.com/Power-Mac ... j04bun.htm

Maximum RAM: 4 GB...
http://www.macofalltrades.com/Power-Mac ... -j03bs.htm

Maximum RAM: 16 GB...
http://www.macofalltrades.com/Power-Mac ... c-l05a.htm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Apple-PowerMac- ... 206/i.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 pm 

@BD:

Thanks for the links . . . I was just scrolling through the "offerings" on eBay for G5 . . . since nothing had shown on powermax or mactrades.

Don't know how you got those items to show up on their site, but cool that they get them back in stock. I was thinking that you had mentioned the PCI-e model as the preferred G5?? Seems like the items on eBay are PCI-X??? So, thanks for the macofalltrades links . . . I guess that the "out-of-stock" items might be refreshed at some point?? Prices don't seem too ridiculous considering that they are long "unsupported" . . . .

But . . . maybe later I'll check eBay for "ST motherboards" . . . ??? Anyway, first have to see if anything shows up clearly as the problem or busted before making any decisions . . . .

PS: From my MBPro in the 10.9 partition I checked App store for "Rosetta" and "iEmulator" and neither showed up . . . ?? Does that mean I should reboot into 10.6 and check the App store again, or, those items are "obsolete" and would have to have been purchased "fresh" during the span of 10.6 support??

e..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Google provided the out of stock links.

PCIe are the fastest, 2.3 GHz PCie probably the most robust.

Yes, boot from 10.6.x, it may already be there, though it was an i\optional install, try running a PPC App, it used to say you needed Rosetta, do you want to install it?

If nothing else it's on the 10.6 Install Disc... or around here somewhere! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:21 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Google provided the out of stock links.

PCIe are the fastest, 2.3 GHz PCie probably the most robust.

Yes, boot from 10.6.x, it may already be there, though it was an i\optional install, try running a PPC App, it used to say you needed Rosetta, do you want to install it?

If nothing else it's on the 10.6 Install Disc... or around here somewhere! :)

Ah, OK, I do have the 10.6 install disc . . . so I can look into that at some point . . . .

e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:20 pm 

Dual 2.3 PCI-X Macs are air-cooled.

I think the only PCIe models that are air-cooled are the single CPU (dual core) 2.0s. I might be wrong there, when I looked into G5s I explicitly went for PCI-X models so I could bring over cards from my G4, so I didn't really dig into PCIe models much.

We just sent about 8 dead and beat to hell G5s to the recycling center a couple weeks ago. Most were liquid cooled where the liquid cooling had failed and they stupidly just kept on using them with the fans blasting on high until they seized because "Macs just work."

:bonk:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It's in...

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/Rosetta.pkg

& is only 2.3 MB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

There were purportedly a very few 2.3s with liquid cooling, the vast majority were air cooled...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/27 ... 0&tstart=0

I theorize that Apple built some 2.7s that some couldn't do 2.7 & they just left the LCSes on & down clocked them. :coffee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
It's in...

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/Rosetta.pkg

& is only 2.3 MB

Thanks for this, I'll look for it . . .

And thanks for the clarifications on the G5 options . . . have to see what shakes out . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Is there red LED lit up on the Logic Bord when it's plugged in?

OK, got a few minutes to pull the G4 out, and once I powered it up--yes, the red LED light is lit!!! Is that a "good" thing or not so much? Powered it up a couple times, no chime, but the red light comes on and stays lit . . . .

Unplugged it and put it away again . . . sheeh, a tad heavy lifting it away from me off kilter to reach the end of the table . . . .

e.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm 
Master

If my memory serves me, the red light is "good" to the extent that the computer being on is good; I think that's all it indicates. The G4s were so easy to open Apple intended to provide some obvious feedback that the system was running, lest you accidentally yank a component from a powered-up machine. Fortunately on a PowerMac Mac doing so probably wouldn't destroy anything, but on an Apple II it could cause an actual explosion (let's just say I know this about the Apple II).

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

The red LED is good & essential, it means you have +5 VDC startup voltage... so, does the power button light at all?

How about if you push it off center, top leftish as I recall?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
The red LED is good & essential, it means you have +5 VDC startup voltage... so, does the power button light at all?

How about if you push it off center, top leftish as I recall?

Yes, the power button itself works to "start" the fan, and it lights . . . also there is a light on the olde zip drive tray that fires as the machine boots up. I thought I was onto something as, the machine was slid back into the nether regions and so I just plugged it in without the display, ethernet, or usb keyboard and when I turned it on . . . it freaking chimed . . . and then continued to run . . . so I shut it down wondering if this would confirm the video card as the problem (or any of the other peripherals) . . . but on reboot 4x there was no chime . . . .

So, then I thought, ah, maybe it has something to do with freshly plugging it in . . . so I unplugged it . . . and took a shower--when I came back on first boot . . . no chime . . . but second, third, and fourth--chime!!! . . . thought about trying to plug in the keyboard and going for the PRAM reset . . . but, the fifth and sixth reboots . . . no chime . . . .

Doesn't seem to be any pattern, but, perhaps tomorrow I could try to plug in keyboard again and see if I can get a PRAM . . . and/or test the display and see if open firmware shows up . . . ?? Doesn't seem to be anything consistent other than it does fire and the power button lights and stays lit . . . but, the chime, the chime . . . comes and goes . . . . This might have something to do with being in its "place" . . . because when I had it out and in front of me with the tray open . . . no chime??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

If you can get it running try holding t ley at startup & with a Firewire cble maybe we can look at the sys log on the G4 from the Mac Pro.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 am 

BDAqua wrote:
If you can get it running try holding t ley at startup & with a Firewire cble maybe we can look at the sys log on the G4 from the Mac Pro.

Alrighty . . . back to you when I get there . . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:30 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Or, we wouldn't have to wait if you had one of these & pulled the drive...

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=37146003140 ... rue&chn=ps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 am 

BDAqua wrote:

Well . . . "Est shipping from Hong Kong May 11 - June 16th" ??? I might be able to get to it before then . . . but, might be helpful to have one of those . . . the PM has the "IDE" connector???

I got the "Rosetta.pkg" . . . possibly installed on the Mac Pro . . . at the end of the short install there was an error window; "This software may be out of date, you should upgrade to the latest combo update, even if you have already done so . . ." I ran Software update, and a couple items were there, along with Security Update 2013-004, which I never upgraded because at the time I had the non-EFI boot install of Linux Mint in the third partition, and doing any upgrades broke GRUB . . . went through the items then and nothing looked too relevant.

So, I rifled through a few of the PPC items that I have cloned in the Ext HD to test out to see if Rosetta showed up . . . hard to know on the face of it. In the 10.6.8 partition I already have Appleworks installed, so any of my .cwk docs I could open with that. But, Otto Matic launched I ran a couple minutes of it . . . don't know if that's because of Rosetta or from Classic . . . nothing "opened" and said anything about "thanks to Rosetta you are playing this game" . . . ??

I have the Combo 10.6.8 dmg file from 2011 stored in the computer, so I could "re-install" it if that would bring in something newer for Rosetta . . . generally my major concern was for a number of articles, docs, and CVs that I originally did in AW . . . but, I can get them via Classic in 10.6 . . . . Ugh, I forgot about checking to see if the 10 years of email correspondence could be accessed . . . a lot of **brilliant** conversations are stored there, that perhaps at some point I'd want to review for some project. :classic-eek:

And, a lot of jpg photos, which I guess could be imported into the Intel world . . . . But, what didn't work and something I might want to use is EPSON scan and some other EPSON app didn't launch via the 10.6 MBPro . . . possibly because it wasn't officially installed in the MBPro? The Dock icon bounced and then disappeared . . . .

The recent plan was to use the PM to connect to an old scanner that has a photo jig that holds film and scans it into the computer . . . the scanner is from 10.1 days . . . haven't tried to install it into the MPro . . . might be cheaper to buy a new scanner, but I hate wasting stuff . . . too much . . . never enough time to do it all.

Final note, after the install I ran "rosetta.pkg" in Spotlight and it said "nothing found" . . . is there anything to "find" with Rosetta? Nothing shows in Apps . . . is this a commandline app like Applejack???

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Rosetta is transparent, if you can run one PPC only App it's good to go, some HW dependent Apps won't work.

Which Epson scanner is it> Have you tried Vuescan?

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:35 pm 

Haven't tried vuescan, but thanks for the link . . . working in 10.9 right now on the MPro. Thinking about that for a second, I could probably also run the scanner via linux . . . .

Anyway, slightly "backburnered" until I get a moment to try to Target mode the PM or . . . if not, order one of those adaptor thingies and pulling the HD . . . etc. Games . . . things to do on a rainy afternoon--except rainy season is over.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:13 pm 

Also, another thought on the Target mode, since I couldn't get it to do PRAM or open-firmware, I'm anticipating either "failure" or spontaneous "success" which might occur instantly or after several days of trying. So, refresh my memory, if I can get to "console" app and I can see the system logs, any specific log that I would want to look at? Since it isn't booting, would that mean "crash log"??

From past messing around, I can't remember a time when the crash log would actually say in plain language, "Dude, we are crashing the system because your usb port card is toast, or maybe it's your video card . . . we can't tell so we are crashing you until you figure it out . . . ."

Doesn't it just say "system crash"??? Anyway, if you get a chance to give me some details, then, if and when T mode happens to work I can just copy the files or whatever I should do with them . . . . I've gone through this a few times on the linux side and using command line you can send them somewhere in a tar.gz format, but even that hasn't been needed for awhile . . . . As you know for the most part OSX works well enough that it isn't needed . . . except for these cases as trying to flog old machines forward and the problems that come up while doing that, i.e., adding a new/used cpu, etc.

F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

system.log is the most likely one. I think Crash logs are from when it is running.

If you get into t mode copy the whole private>var>log folder over.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:27 am 

Latest update:

I hooked the G4 to the Mac Pro running 10.9 via FW; I booted the G4 holding the T key a number of times, no chime, then after a number of reboots, the chime sounds, computer fan running, but nothing shows on the Mac Pro desktop--no disk icon of the G4.

I shut it down, on another reboot, the chime sounded, and I noticed that there was a flashing light from the Waacom tablet that I'm using for its mouse . . . then suddenly the computer "quit" or "died." Thought it was the final hurrah, but on reboot computer started, but back to the no chime.

I was thinking that somehow the previous scenario was showing intermittent power through the usb ports, as the potential problem; or somehow the Waacom tablet was pulling too much juice through the keyboard (even though the cable is a 1/4 inch thick).

So, this am, I tried about 20 starts using various methods of plugging the tablet into its own usb port . . . no chime . . . no power appeared to get to the tablet's light today. And, then, I tried the only other keyboard that I have, the new-ish Apple keyboard usb plug-in, which I couldn't remember if the G4 "couldn't read it" . . . possibly the case . . . anyway, I plugged that in and rebooted . . . no chime.

So, possibly the only other thing I could try would be to plug the MBPro running 10.6 to the G4 FW and try the boot sequence with the T key and see if the G4 shows up on the MBPro desktop. Or, I'll be ordering the adaptor thingie in a few days, and pop the HD when it gets here? I was thinking that there was some indication that the usb port card was faulty, but, I can boot the computer using the keyboard power button, but not shut it down . . . but, otherwise, nothing consistent enough to "prove" usb port as "failed" . . . and still didn't plug the display back in; also was thinking that the chime didn't happen when the display was plugged in, but, when unplugged, intermittent chiming . . . there again, nothing consistent enough to show video card . . . .

I'll be back with the latest development(s) . . . whenever that might be . . . spent the night thinking that moving the Waacom tablet plug to its own usb port would "solve" the problem . . . no dice. :g4:

e.e.p.

edit: just saw yr post about copying the >var folder . . . I'll see when and if I can get it into a readable T mode.]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 am 
Benevolent Dictator

You could try the MBP, but next time you try t mode, see what Disk Utility & Sys Info>FW says.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 am 

BDAqua wrote:
You could try the MBP, but next time you try t mode, see what Disk Utility & Sys Info>FW says.

I'll see if anything shows up . . . have to work today and tomorrow . . . be a few days before I can get back to it.

:shock: :!: :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:46 am 

BDAqua wrote:

@BD:

Looking at the many items posted in that link . . . various "deals" . . . most shipping from HK or mainland China . . . any particular reason the top hit is the Hong Kong shipper, of which there are various from there? Seems like the "free" shipping gives them a month or more to get to the US, and paying a fee makes it a couple of weeks . . . . There was that place that MB listed for a DVI cable that is slipping my mind, I used them, reasonable price but showed up in a couple days . . . any chance these IDE/SATA/PATA adaptors are still available in the US??

Not that there is a screaming rush . . . but, other question, I noticed in one photo they have the HD connected to a laptop via the usb plug; but, on the other side might be some power source?? that is then connected to another plug on the HD?? what would that be from? the power cable to the laptop?? Even if I went to my old iBook would that "circular" plug fit into the provided adaptors?? Or these items are for PC generic plug??

Or, nope, no juice required to access a pulled HD??? Obviously the adaptor combo itself seems to be "cheap" . . . but, then, it's on the slow boat from China . . . literally . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:01 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Likely first because it's cheapest.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/USB-2-0-to-I ... 3=&veh=sem

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... Submit=ENE

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Co ... B002OV1VJW

Be sure to get one with an external PSU.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 7yqgFL.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next