XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:02 pm 

Say what you will, but I'm really tempted to buy this guy's adapter. For $40 shipped you can connect an ADB keyboard to USB.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSI ... ic=72052.0

Alternately if you feel like doing the heavy lifting he has instructions on how to make one yourself:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.0

I had a Griffin iMate once but eventually gave up and just went to a USB keyboard after I managed to destroy the last apple adjustable keyboard I owned. It cost a lot more than $40. then again it was a lot prettier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Weren't the ADB KBs indestructible?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm 

I never saw an Extended Keyboard II that failed without user error.

However I can't tell you how many Adjustable Keyboards I killed. Of course it was all liquid damage (aka user error).

Otherwise those things were tanks. The EK2 more than the AAK.

I saw a way of remapping keys but it might require a custom firmware. There was a magic key thing using the power key that let you do various magic things to the controller itself. Would be kind of nice to remap which modifier key is which to use it with Windows or whatnot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:55 pm 
Master

I loved to type on the adjustable keyboards, but they were NOT reliable. Every one I ever saw died, at best, all on its own eventually.

The old Extended Keyboard and Extended Keyboard II were very ruggedly built, and even when they (rarely) had problems were repairable because you could replace the switches. I've fixed a couple dozen, I think, back when I was doing repair.

I loved those keyboards, but iMates were a little buggy. If I recall correctly, sometimes they just wouldn't read a keypress, which caused me no end of aggravation. I eventually replaced those keyboards with more contemporary native USB keyboards, but they still work perfectly, ignoring the iMate problems.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:08 pm 

I suppose I never kept an AAK in working condition long enough for it to develop problems.

They were really cheap on eBay after the switch to USB but then they skyrocketed. Thats when I gave up.

Kind of like Model M space saving keyboards... for the longest time you could buy them for $30-$40. Now they're going for $400.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm 

Nifty. I still have an old USB -> ADB converter laying around. Used it for years until tendonitis forced me to go with a more ergonomic keyboard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:12 pm 

That's actually the big reason I went to model m keyboards, they're the only ones with enough feedback to stop me from bottoming out on keypresses. Probably helps that I learned to type on keyboards much like them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:52 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’ve been using a Griffin iMate to connect my 1991 era M3501 to my 2008 Mac Pro for several years. Works great, never needed to install drivers. If I recall, I got it off of eBay used for $30.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:07 am 

I still use an iMate to connect my E2 to whatever mini I have. The only problem I have with it is that sometimes the Caps Lock LED stays on when the Caps Lock is off.

I still have an AAK in the box, but I need a desk that can accommodate that beast.

SC

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.10
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 pm 
he who stacks pork

Smithcraft wrote:
I still use an iMate to connect my E2 to whatever mini I have. The only problem I have with it is that sometimes the Caps Lock LED stays on when the Caps Lock is off.

I still have an AAK in the box, but I need a desk that can accommodate that beast.

SC

REALLY NOW, WHO NEEDS CAPSLOCK?

-HE WHO STACKS PORK