XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:50 am 

This is where I’ll post for my Macs and iBooks that have some sort of problem, or can’t find an OS X for them, instead of having separate forums. Here are my BIG issues with these Macs- SUCH MAC MADNESS! Ok, below:

-iBook G4: CANT FIND A OS X LEOPARD TO DOWNLOAD!
-MacBook Pro 2007 A1226: I wiped it, and after that, wont boot off dvd, Alt doesn’t work, reset SMC.
-MacBook Pro Early 2008 A1260- turns on for a couple seconds but won’t boot
-iBook G3: Doesn’t turn on after optical drive replacement
-iMac G3: Can’t find OS X Leopard online, Archive.org?, going to edit the installer for a G3.
-MacBook A1181 White: After Yosemite on unsupported MacBook, it’s so slow! I’ll download the graphics patch.

Very frustrating.

The A1226 MacBook boots to a white screen, it was on Snow Leopard, and I made a dumb mistake of wiping the drive. If I put a techtools CD in it, will it work if I go to ALT boot menu? It doesn’t see the Yosemite USB!

A1260 MacBook- I don’t hear that hard drive click noise.

iBook G4/iMac G3: I need Leopard, will edit the badmachines and requirements for the G3 iMac

MacBook A1181- doesn’t recognize Ethernet either, such slow download speed.

:nothappy: :nothappy: :nothappy: :nothappy: :nothappy: :nothappy:

I’m working on these for 7 HOURS A DAY and NO LUCK!

Am I doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

How to boot PPC Macs from USB...

Some PPCs boot from USB, ising Startup Disk, some others using alt key Startup Manager, others the method... below

So I had to dig into my OpenFirmware roots and do it the old fashion way. So here's the quick tip for the rest of you out there (hopefully Google will eventually pull this up in page ranks so it gets hit first and saves people time).

1. Plug in the USB device where you have copied your bootable system to (I do not cover this part since it's well covered already, google is your friend).
2. Power on your iBook and hold down Command+Option+O+F. This will take you into the OpenFirmware. Scary looking if your not a computer type person.
3. Once you see the screen go white with some text on it, you can release the keys in the previous step.
4. Type "boot ud:,\\:tbxi" and if you're lucky, it will start booting from your USB device. If not, continue on.
5. Type "dev usb0" at the little ">" prompt and hit return.
6. Type "ls". If you see something like "/disk@1", continue, else go to the previous step and use "usb1" instead.
7. If you get here and you haven't seen something like "/disk@1", then you're likely screwed, sorry.
8. Type "dev disk@1" and hit return, and then "pwd" and hit return again. You should see something that looks like "/pci@f2000000/usb1b,1/disk@1". You will use this in the next step.
9. Type "boot /pci@f2000000/usb1b,1/disk@1:,\\:tbxi". This is the device part you got in the last step after typing "pwd" with ":,\\:tbxi" added to the end.
10. Moment of truth, hit enter. You should now be booting into your USB drive. IT WILL BE SLOW SO BE PATIENT

This should also work on other PPC Mac's that don't normally boot from USB, such as G3s.
https://ben-collins.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... stick.html

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -usb-stick

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... 19#p117419

Parts left out I think...

boot ud:3,
:tbxi or if you just have one USB device, type: boot ud:,
:tbxi.

It was ud:10 if OS9 drivers were installed.

Works everytime, also works for flash drives and external optical drives hooked up to USB..

Only drawback: It won't appear as a start up disk under system preferences, I am trying to figure out how to hack it to make it recognize it. USB 2.0 booting on PowerPC was introduced silently with Tiger 10.4.3(from what I read).

for any powerpc mac, go into open firmware and type: devalias.. scroll until you see "ud"(your device needs to be hooked up for this to work). Then follow the instructions above.. You will be amazed to welcome USB as a new member of your powerpc bootable family.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
How to boot PPC Macs from USB...

Some PPCs boot from USB, ising Startup Disk, some others using alt key Startup Manager, others the method... below

So I had to dig into my OpenFirmware roots and do it the old fashion way. So here's the quick tip for the rest of you out there (hopefully Google will eventually pull this up in page ranks so it gets hit first and saves people time).

1. Plug in the USB device where you have copied your bootable system to (I do not cover this part since it's well covered already, google is your friend).
2. Power on your iBook and hold down Command+Option+O+F. This will take you into the OpenFirmware. Scary looking if your not a computer type person.
3. Once you see the screen go white with some text on it, you can release the keys in the previous step.
4. Type "boot ud:,\\:tbxi" and if you're lucky, it will start booting from your USB device. If not, continue on.
5. Type "dev usb0" at the little ">" prompt and hit return.
6. Type "ls". If you see something like "/disk@1", continue, else go to the previous step and use "usb1" instead.
7. If you get here and you haven't seen something like "/disk@1", then you're likely screwed, sorry.
8. Type "dev disk@1" and hit return, and then "pwd" and hit return again. You should see something that looks like "/pci@f2000000/usb1b,1/disk@1". You will use this in the next step.
9. Type "boot /pci@f2000000/usb1b,1/disk@1:,\\:tbxi". This is the device part you got in the last step after typing "pwd" with ":,\\:tbxi" added to the end.
10. Moment of truth, hit enter. You should now be booting into your USB drive. IT WILL BE SLOW SO BE PATIENT

This should also work on other PPC Mac's that don't normally boot from USB, such as G3s.
https://ben-collins.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... stick.html

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -usb-stick

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... 19#p117419

Parts left out I think...

boot ud:3,
:tbxi or if you just have one USB device, type: boot ud:,
:tbxi.

It was ud:10 if OS9 drivers were installed.

Works everytime, also works for flash drives and external optical drives hooked up to USB..

Only drawback: It won't appear as a start up disk under system preferences, I am trying to figure out how to hack it to make it recognize it. USB 2.0 booting on PowerPC was introduced silently with Tiger 10.4.3(from what I read).

for any powerpc mac, go into open firmware and type: devalias.. scroll until you see "ud"(your device needs to be hooked up for this to work). Then follow the instructions above.. You will be amazed to welcome USB as a new member of your powerpc bootable family.

It didn’t work :( :cry:

Ugh!

I ended up wiping the USB and used it for clover for Unibeast to build my Yosemite Hackintosh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Did you try FWTDM?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:30 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Did you try FWTDM?

Yes sir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:03 am 

If you're not adverse to spending a little cash you should be able to find installation media on eBay for a somewhat reasonable price (beware of crazy people trying to charge outrageous sums though).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If you're not adverse to spending a little cash you should be able to find installation media on eBay for a somewhat reasonable price (beware of crazy people trying to charge outrageous sums though).

I saw a Leopard DVD for $21!! And it was just the DVD! I’ve been using eBay and I’ve gotten steals off there, but the vintage items go for so much :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm 

I saw someone trying to sell Tiger server for $250. $20 isn't bad if it includes shipping - and if it works.

At one point I had two Leopard boxes but I consolidated during a move and ditched one of them. I need the remaining one for my G5. Hopefully what BD sent you is good (look in the upper left, is it 0 unread messages?).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I saw someone trying to sell Tiger server for $250. $20 isn't bad if it includes shipping - and if it works.

At one point I had two Leopard boxes but I consolidated during a move and ditched one of them. I need the remaining one for my G5. Hopefully what BD sent you is good (look in the upper left, is it 0 unread messages?).

It wouldn’t load on my MacBook. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:24 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Which exact MacBook is it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:25 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Which exact MacBook is it?

MacBook 4,1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:32 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, the Leo DVD is 10.5.6 And that MacBook requires 10.5.2 or greater, so let me ask to make certain, did you restore the "DVD" to a USB Stick using Disk Utility or what?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 am 

BDAqua wrote:
OK, the Leo DVD is 10.5.6 And that MacBook requires 10.5.2 or greater, so let me ask to make certain, did you restore the "DVD" to a USB Stick using Disk Utility or what?

Tried 3 times.. Restored in Disk Utility. So frustrating because the iBook is being stubborn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:53 am 
Benevolent Dictator

So, is the iBook just refusing to boot from USB or what?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 am 

BDAqua wrote:
So, is the iBook just refusing to boot from USB or what?

Yeah :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Can you show me the exact commands you used to try to force it?

Assuming alt key didn't show USB choice?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:49 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Can you show me the exact commands you used to try to force it?

Assuming alt key didn't show USB choice?

I will. Let me redo the USB. I used it for my Hackintosh because I needed a recovery stick. I’ll use my 120GB and I’ll restore Leopard and try again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

If T key doesn'twork...

10.5: Install on a PPC Mac from an external USB Drive

Oct 20, '10 07:30:00AM • Contributed by: Ruth Gaudi

After doing a lot of research and trying out some hints, finally I could install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on an iMac G5 1.8 GHz, and I would like to share with you the solution that I got.

This works for PowerPC Macs that don't have a Dual Layer DVD, and you wish to install Leopard using an external USB Drive instead.

1. Start by creating the disc image of the installation media (this can be DMG, CDR, ISO or any of the disc image formats supported by Mac OS X). In my case I used an external DVD (Dual Layer) drive with the Installation media to make the image -- because the system doesn't recognize that drive in the Startup Manager (when I restart it while holding down Option key), neither was listed at System Preferences » Startup Disk.

Note: you can skip this step and make the restore directly from the DVD -- just dragging the DVD into the Source field -- explained in step 4.

2. Connect your external drive and launch Disk Utility.

3. Select the drive in Disk Utility and then select the Partition tab. Make sure that the drive is formatted using an Apple Partition Map scheme, not GUID or MBR (you may need to reformat your drive to get it in this form).  Once the drive is in the Apple Partition Map scheme.

4. Select the Restore tab of Disc Utility and drag the Disk Image (or the DVD in case you have an external drive) for the Installation Media onto the Source field.

5. Then drag the appropriate partition (in my case, the USB external drive) to the destination field.

6. Click on restore. This may take a while to complete.

7. Determine the partition where your bootable image it situated (e.g. an MacOSX DVD or DMG restored to a partion with Disk utility's restore). This might be disk1s3 in which case the partition number is 3. Also you can check it on Disk Utility, select the hard drive -- right click on it and select 'Information,' and write down the 'Partition Number.'

8. Restart your iMac while holding down Command+Option+O+F. This will place you in Open Firmware.

9. Type dev / ls to get the device tree list.

Look for something in the output like:
/usb@b
/disk@1
As we're talking about a tree here, write down the complete path to this node. In my case it would be:
/ht/pci@2/usb@b/disk@2
10. Type devalias ud /ht/pci@2/usb@b/disk@2. In other words: make 'ud' equal to the path you found in step 9.

11.Now verify you got the right disk:

dir ud:3,\

(3 is the partition number you wrote down in step 7). And look for a file with tbxi attribute, probably in:

\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX, e.g.:

dir ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices

12.Then boot from it:

boot ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

13. Wait a little bit – while the iMac restarts and if you see the Leopard Installer begin, you're done.
https://hints.macworld.com/article.php? ... 1105729488

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 am 

BDAqua wrote:
If T key doesn'twork...

10.5: Install on a PPC Mac from an external USB Drive

Oct 20, '10 07:30:00AM • Contributed by: Ruth Gaudi

After doing a lot of research and trying out some hints, finally I could install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on an iMac G5 1.8 GHz, and I would like to share with you the solution that I got.

This works for PowerPC Macs that don't have a Dual Layer DVD, and you wish to install Leopard using an external USB Drive instead.

1. Start by creating the disc image of the installation media (this can be DMG, CDR, ISO or any of the disc image formats supported by Mac OS X). In my case I used an external DVD (Dual Layer) drive with the Installation media to make the image -- because the system doesn't recognize that drive in the Startup Manager (when I restart it while holding down Option key), neither was listed at System Preferences » Startup Disk.

Note: you can skip this step and make the restore directly from the DVD -- just dragging the DVD into the Source field -- explained in step 4.

2. Connect your external drive and launch Disk Utility.

3. Select the drive in Disk Utility and then select the Partition tab. Make sure that the drive is formatted using an Apple Partition Map scheme, not GUID or MBR (you may need to reformat your drive to get it in this form).  Once the drive is in the Apple Partition Map scheme.

4. Select the Restore tab of Disc Utility and drag the Disk Image (or the DVD in case you have an external drive) for the Installation Media onto the Source field.

5. Then drag the appropriate partition (in my case, the USB external drive) to the destination field.

6. Click on restore. This may take a while to complete.

7. Determine the partition where your bootable image it situated (e.g. an MacOSX DVD or DMG restored to a partion with Disk utility's restore). This might be disk1s3 in which case the partition number is 3. Also you can check it on Disk Utility, select the hard drive -- right click on it and select 'Information,' and write down the 'Partition Number.'

8. Restart your iMac while holding down Command+Option+O+F. This will place you in Open Firmware.

9. Type dev / ls to get the device tree list.

Look for something in the output like:
/usb@b
/disk@1
As we're talking about a tree here, write down the complete path to this node. In my case it would be:
/ht/pci@2/usb@b/disk@2
10. Type devalias ud /ht/pci@2/usb@b/disk@2. In other words: make 'ud' equal to the path you found in step 9.

11.Now verify you got the right disk:

dir ud:3,\

(3 is the partition number you wrote down in step 7). And look for a file with tbxi attribute, probably in:

\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX, e.g.:

dir ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices

12.Then boot from it:

boot ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

13. Wait a little bit – while the iMac restarts and if you see the Leopard Installer begin, you're done.
https://hints.macworld.com/article.php? ... 1105729488

Hm ok, I’ll try that, I don’t use the iBook as much because it started giving a blue screen every time I boot it, plus I got other MacBooks that work fine.