XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are you kidding me?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:15 pm 

What. The....

Much like buying an old Porsche, every now and again I think about case modding a Quadra950/PowerMac9500. So I go to where America shops, only to see Q950s for over a grand! :o

A Q9500 going for $1200 (+$100 S/H) has the Q950 (256 MB RAM/3x300 MB HDD) with a bad PRAM battery ( :bonk: ) and an Apple Design Keyboard ( :roll: ) with an ADB II Mouse.

Another Q950 that is $1650 has 256 MB RAM, a Yamaha CDRW, and an HDD with 4 partitions for System 7.1, 7.6, 8.1, and AU/X, and it has the OrangeMicro 486 card. They will include an Apple Microphone since they are so generous.

I know the Quadras are awesome and everything, but I can get a 2012 Mac Pro and put 2 Xeons in it with plenty of RAM for half the price of first system!

Even a Quadra 700 is $600!

SC

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.13
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

Post subject: Re: Are you kidding me?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 pm 

I used to have a key from a Quadra 950 in my office but we moved and I think it's lost forever now. It was in someone's office drawer and I had an "aha" moment when I saw it. The Quadra, unfortunately, was long gone - only the key remained.

Sometimes I think people hold onto old systems thinking it's going to age like fine wine and become a retirement package, when in fact due to lack of maintenance and care the items in question are only worth of being placed in a garage sale.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’ve got a 9600/300 I inherited from my dad. Have a bunch of upgrades and stuff for it. It’s in superb physical condition, but I cannot find a monitor cable/dongle to test it with (all I have are DVI/HDMI monitors). I do know that it bongs on startup and hard drive makes noises implying it’s booting. I’m down to one hand and not enough time to screw around with it so it’s just taking up space. Make me an offer if you’re interested.
-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 pm 

I might have a DB15 (the old Mac display port) to VGA adapter with a little wheel that controls what display it reports is connected to the system. Not sure though, I may have tossed it when I moved. For some reason I had something similar that was DB15 to DB15 too, don't even remember how that was supposed to work. I know I tossed that thing.

Oh. The key I referenced was from someone who left and when I was cleaning out what they left behind in their office I found the key. I didn't just go rummaging around in someone's office one night. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 pm 

That looks good Leo!

I'm going to go in to battle with installing 10.13 on my mini, and discovering all the stupidity Apple has added in the few versions between 10.10 and 10.13 for a bit.

SC

ps - Do I see a Blue and White G3 and 2 G4's keeping the 9600 company?

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.13
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:32 pm 
he who stacks pork

Smithcraft wrote:
Do I see a Blue and White G3 and 2 G4's keeping the 9600 company?

Yessir. I somehow acquired a bunch of hardware when my dad sold his house. I thought I was only receiving three computers, but it ended up being a 9600, Quicksilver G4, MDD G4, Graphite G4, Yosemite G3, Digital Audio G4, 400MHz Powerbook G4, 2006 15" Macbook with booting issues, and a 2008 3,1 Mac Pro. I managed to find homes for the more recent machines… but before having acquired all that stuff from him, I already had two Graphite & Digital Audio/Quicksilver G4s (heavily modified and maxxed out), two MDD G4s, a Yosemite G3, a Powerbook 180, 1986 Mac Plus, and recently acquired a Gossamer G3 that needs a motherboard swap.

Have wanted to tool around with them for a while. Life keeps getting in the way: women, mountainbiking, job stuff, and now this stupid freshly-rebuilt hand in a cast (has been in a cast since October 11th, just had Surgery on November 4th).

I miss the good old days of PPC a couple decades ago. Had lots of fun tinkering with them, and modifying them beyond what their creators had ever imagined.

-he who stacks pork