XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:29 pm 

Folks:

A buddy of mine linked me to the "pine phone"?? which is "out of stock" as it seems all of the Pine64 products are, the phone is sold for $150 and comes out with no software, but has a few linux mobile distros . . . for "linux folk" . . . . I am pondering that as a way to get into a "smartphone" . . . on the cheap-ish . . . to fiddle around with installing linux and so forth.

I'm actually beginning to think about replacing my hand-me-down Chromebook, one of the earlier Samsung ARM units that has now dropped out of Google support . . . and the PineBookPro seems to be marketing itself as a competitive option to the Chromebook, listing at $199 for a "14"" ARM cpu and maybe 128GB flash storage . . . etc. As far as a cheaper schlepper netbook option goes, it looks OK at first glance vs the lower spec'd CBs.

I found this http://students.engr.scu.edu/~sschaeck/misc/pinebookpro.html review, seems fairly thorough, he/she states they paid "$269.05" to have it shipped from HK to CA, and they go through the specs in the review. Seems like there is a "lotto" or brief registration window to get on the short list to buy the item and any extras, they bought a couple of items that drove the price up a bit . . . .

What sort of busted my bubble on it, "4GB RAM, soldered in" . . . although the reviewer says, "Well for this type of computer, who needs more RAM?"??? So, OK, well my CB has 2GB RAM and it more or less won't do heavy resource sites like FB . . . so I guess 4 would just get it over the edge?? Not sure if the "exclusivity factor" of having a "built for linux" platform, that claims to be "open source hardware" would be worth waking up at 4:50 AM to try to log into their site and get on the order option list, is worth it . . . . Might be that some PC that is almost "cutting edge" but just a tad old could offer faster cpu, expandable RAM and storage . . . for just a tad bit more $$ ???

:coffee: :confused: :shock: :roll: :ugeek: :classic-eek:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:38 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whilst looking for Pinebooks ran across Laptops... 2 for $35 !!!

https://discountelectronics.com/scrap-laptops-2-for-35/

14″ PINEBOOK LINUX LAPTOP $99.99

https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:17 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Whilst looking for Pinebooks ran across Laptops... 2 for $35 !!!

https://discountelectronics.com/scrap-laptops-2-for-35/

OK, well, yes, it's like going to the tow yard auction for a car, might get a "great deal on a great car" or "might be a deal for a derelict" . . . but at that price who cares?

Quote:
There is a reason these were sent to the scrap pile. I see everything from Apple, HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, Chromebook, even Windows tablets, many have missing keys, cracked screens, or any other number of issues. There is real value here. Many of these could be parted out and sold on eBay for a profit. Some may work fine and need a hard drive and OS.
I don't see many ac adapters. If we have one with the laptop, you will get it; if we don't, you won't. Some of these have to have the hard drives destroyed. If we do that, we will include the hard drive caddy, if at all possible. These are all sold as-is. The shippers will pick them off the pallets in the order sold. Please don't make any special requests we will try to send something somewhat

Quote:
14″ PINEBOOK LINUX LAPTOP $99.99

https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebook

And, yep, this was their "1st gen" product, seems like they sent out 100?? of them, missed the story, but, everything is "sold out" right now . . . seems like "end of the month" is the next window of opportunity to get on board the Pine64 ship.

Question is, is it a huuuuugggeee "bang for the buck" deal, or not bad for the money . . . ???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:38 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You're the resident Linux expert, do computers of that spec with only 4GB of RAM do well?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:05 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
You're the resident Linux expert, do computers of that spec with only 4GB of RAM do well?

LOL, well, I'm sure it meets the minimum spec for various distros . . . but, looking at the forum posts it doesn't seem like some of the users are finding it to be "fast" . . . . I think it is the novelty of using an open source hardware and software machine that is being marketed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Seems slow, heres the Speed comparisons...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ARM-Mali- ... 318.0.html

600 to 900 MHz?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:49 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Seems slow, heres the Speed comparisons...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ARM-Mali- ... 318.0.html

600 to 900 MHz?

Well, yep . . . "slow" . . . but, "good value"??? might be another matter . . . ??? Might be one of those "price point" decisions that brings in adequate spec pieces into an overall "good" product?? Or, just might be "cheap hardware" that runs linux well enough to get by . . . .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, its a far better deal & likely worth more than an entry level Mac Laptop. :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:42 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Well, its a far better deal & likely worth more than an entry level Mac Laptop. :fishsmack:

Truth. Lots of room for value going up against Mac pricing . . . and OSX hijinks . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm 
he who stacks pork

No pine for me, but I use toilet tissue made from bamboo. I know, I know, I must be a hardass; fibers are soft like cotton though– some sort of trickery with smoke and mirrors at the helm.

-he who stacks porrk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Is there a sliver of truth to that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:19 am 

:badteeth: :fishsmack: :coffee: :confused: :?:

Relevance please??? This was a hardware post, not a software post . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:02 pm 
he who stacks pork

este.el.paz wrote:
:badteeth: :fishsmack: :coffee: :confused: :?:

Relevance please??? This was a hardware post, not a software post . . . .

True that… the fiber factor has to be considered.

-he who stacks pork