XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:19 pm 

I'm uncertain about one aspect of VESA adapter plate mounts, I know that a 100X100 is
100 mm x 100mm screw hole spacing, but are the interfaces between the adapter plate
that go on the monitor and the arm end a standard type, or do they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think that is sort of covered here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Disp ... _Interface

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am 

VESA isn't just 100x100, there's a variety of screw spacings, which is why most mounting systems (arm, etc.) have multiple holes.

If you're talking about an adapter plate, which adapts a display's proprietary connector to VESA, then the connection between the adapter and the VESA mounting hardware is standardized. You're taking about monitor -> proprietary mount -> VESA adapter plate -> VESA mount -> VESA mounting system.

The big trick is to figure out what spacing your adapter plate uses (as I mentioned its not just 100x100) and make sure the mounting system can connect to a VESA display with its spacing. So if your adapter has 100x100 holes but your arm has 75x75 holes that's not going to match up. But as I said most equipment has multiple holes.

The other thing to worry about is weight, make sure your mounting system (and adapter) is rated for the weight of the display you're using.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:50 pm 

I realize that there are various hole spacing for different monitors, my 100 x 100 was just an example, I should have
stated it more clearly.

I think a picture is worth a thousand words, this is the end of the arm, it looks like the adapter plate that goes on the monitor
slips into what's in the picture, it sort of reminds me of a variation on a hot shoe connector for a camera flash so my question is that a
standard mount ? -
Attachment:
Arm mount.jpg
Arm mount.jpg [ 69.97 KiB | Viewed 35 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

4,000 words...

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MR3C ... space-gray

https://www.apple.com/uk-business/shop/ ... lt-display

https://www.humancentric.com/products/v ... any-models

https://www.asus.com/Destkop-Accessorie ... nting_Kit/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 pm 

If the arm is VESA compatible it will include a part that adapts that connector to a normal VESA mounting plate.

If the plate that fits onto the back of the monitor connects to a normal VESA standard spacing screws that go into the monitor, then that's the part that adapts the arm to VESA.

If the back of the monitor isn't VESA and the part adapts whatever it uses instead of VESA then the whole thing isn't VESA. In that case it's possible you could get an additional part that adapts whatever it uses instead of VESA to VESA, but that'd be a proprietary part.

VESA doesn't mean all the parts in every arm from every manufacturer are interoperable and can be swapped, it just means the end of the arm is going to end in a VESA mounting plate. If you take the arm apart then you can end up with proprietary connections in the middle.

Does that make any sense? I got like 3 hours of sleep last night so I'm fuzzy and easily befuddled. Plus I manage to twist my ankle push starting my car after the starter got cranky so I've got a bit of pain in the mix too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:54 pm 
Master

The thing that goes on the end of the arm (if not a VESA plate) is not standardized. In your case I think you need an adapter that fits the arm, with the adapter having the actual VESA mount that connects to the monitor. This might be challenging to fabricate without some machine tools.

This anecdote won't help, but the last time I had to mount a display with very weird hole spacing I ended up drilling holes in an old G5 tower side panel and cutting off the excess, then bolting that slab of aluminum to the standard VESA plate that came with my mounting arm...but in my case the arm already had a VESA mounting plate integrally attached.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm 

BD - you almost found what I needed. But without being able to walk into store and test it...

Monkeyboy - This is exactly what I needed to know, the arm end mount is proprietary to the mystery manufacturer.

Quote:
VESA doesn't mean all the parts in every arm from every manufacturer are interoperable and can be swapped, it just means the end of the arm is going to end in a VESA mounting plate. If you take the arm apart then you can end up with proprietary connections in the middle.

Anon - After hitting what is left of brick and mortar stores in my area today it looks like I'll be fabricating a mount from scratch, machine tools I have
I just don't have the interface plate for that mystery monitor arm.

Thanks all !!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:49 am 

If you can figure out who made the arm you could ask them if you could get the part from them.

I've done this a few times for various computer hardware bits and occasionally got it for free so long as I paid shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:50 pm 

I have no idea who the manufacturer is, they were dumpster dive monitor arms, I did look for the adapter plates
but no luck. The closest I came was Human Solution arms, one of BD's links was sooo close I thought about
ordering it, but I decided to just make the dang plate.
I wound up milling away a enough of the arm end to accept a .125" thick piece of aluminum
and made the adapter plate. works great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 pm 

If it fits, it ships!