XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 am 

Hackintosh system, 16GB ram 3 internal Drives (Intel 180 GB 520 series SSD, Samsung 250 EVO SSD, Western Digital 500GB HD) Gigabyte EX58 UD3R mother board, Xeon 5650 cpu.

Older system running High Sierra (El Capitan was on the Intel SSD).

I shut down the system last night and went to bed. When I woke up this morning the system had not completed shut down and there was a non spinning gear icon on the screen. I shut down the system (hold down power button) and tried to reboot only to discover that my system didn't see the Intel SSD anymore. I can boot to High Sierra on the Samsung but the Intel doesn't mount. It really doesn't appear to do anything. The system doesn't see it at all. I took it out of the computer case and plugged it into an external USB case and still when plugged in the system does not respond to it in anyway.

I think this means the drive is dead? If so it is my first failed SSD and it gave zero signs of failure prior to this. Let me give a little more detail around what I was doing before this happened...I really don't think this has any bearing but maybe I'm missing something.

So I have 2 other external drives in the next scenario...one older 90GB SSD (empty) & a 500 GB HD with a copy of Sierra on it. My plan was to copy Sierra to the faster 90GB SSD, then update that to High Sierra in order to do a trial install of Mojave on it. I used super duper to clone Sierra to the 90GB drive. I then installed the newest version of Clover boot loader to the 90 GB drive. I booted from the 90 GB drive and it booted into Sierra.

(Just a little aside here...My system forever has shown SIMBIOS details as a 2010 Mac Pro. With the process I just described it booted to Sierra with the SIMBIOS of 2012 Mac Pro. That was unexpected & I mention it only because it may ultimately determine if my system can run Mojave) anyway back to the issue at hand...

After booting successfully into Sierra from the external 90 GB SSD is when I decided to shutdown and go to bed. I've described the result when I got up this morning.

There is an additional frustration because I had my trusted Clover boot EFI file on the Intel so now have to re-establish Clover on the Samsung SSD.

I guess all of that boils down to the question, is my Intel SSD dead or is there something I can do to try and resurrect it? Do SSD drives usually give some sign before failing?

Thanks!

Last edited by db5owat on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am 

If you have an external case you could try sticking it in there and see if it shows up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If you have an external case you could try sticking it in there and see if it shows up.

Hi MB. Yes I mentioned that in my diatribe above. In or out of external case makes no difference. It's not seen by Linux Gparted in my Linux netbook either (from ext USB).

I'm just surprised there was no signs of failure to this point. Just suddenly not working at all. I think those Intel drives are considered pretty decent too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Not an SSD expert, but it sounds dead to me.
Quote:
System doesn't recognize Intel® SSD
Make sure both the SATA data cable and SATA port are clean and dirt-free.
Make sure the SATA data cable and SATA power cable have no damage and are properly connected.
Change the SATA port where the Intel® SSD is connected.
Make sure the BIOS setting is properly set, especially the SATA mode setting.
If you have another system available, check the SSD in that system to see if you get the same results.
If your SSD has an U.2 port, make sure both the U.2 data cable and U.2 port are clean and dirt-free.
If your SSD is an M.2, make sure both the M.2 connector and M.2 port in the motherboard are clean and dirt-free.
If you have a different M.2 port available, try to connect the SSD to it.
If the M.2 SSD is NVMe* check with your motherboard manufacturer in order to confirm that the M.2 slot in the board is compatible with NVMe* SSDs.
If your SSD is NVMe* then make sure you're running the latest NVMe* drivers. For Client SSD NVMe drivers, click here. For Datacenter NVMe drivers SSDs, click here.
If you have an add-in card SSD, try to reseat the drive and make sure both the PICe connector and PCIe port in the motherboard are clean and dirt-free.
If you have an add-in card NVMe SSD, please test by moving the drive to a different PCIe slot. A slot closer to the processor is suggested.
Make sure your motherboard is running the latest BIOS. Check with your motherboard’s manufacturer in order to download the latest BIOS for your board.
Make sure your SSD is on the latest FW. You may download our Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox for Client drives or Intel® SSD Data Center Tool for Datacenter drives.

Note Intel® SSDs connected by a USB-SATA adapter or enclosure aren't visible in the Intel® SSD Toolbox.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... orage.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 pm 

I have a Gen 2 Intel 80 GB SSD from about nine years ago. It didn't last very long. Intel's SSDs from that era just aren't good. Something about the controller they used just caused it to up and die out of nowhere.

There's really no getting around it - it's dead. For that reason I make frequent backups of SSD bound material, which for me is my OS and on its own SSD, Blizzard's games.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:41 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
I have a Gen 2 Intel 80 GB SSD from about nine years ago. It didn't last very long. Intel's SSDs from that era just aren't good. Something about the controller they used just caused it to up and die out of nowhere.

There's really no getting around it - it's dead. For that reason I make frequent backups of SSD bound material, which for me is my OS and on its own SSD, Blizzard's games.

Hey Squishy Tia. Yep, it's dead. I bought it in 2012 because it had a 5 year warranty so I guess it survived it's warranty period.

I did have a backup but the biggest problem I have is that drive is the one I installed Clover on. As a hackintosh user you'll maybe have some empathy with my struggle to gain access to my system. I had recently upgraded my Sierra to HIGH Sierra thru normal App store upgrade. That went real smoothly. After the Intel boot SSD died I could not gain access to that High Sierra drive (Samsung). I tried the newest Clover on many different devices but nothing would work...I had various levels of failure that I wont bore you with here. Finally I took the drive out and put it in another hack I made for my son and applied an archived older version of Clover and managed to get the High Sierra (Samsung SSD) to boot. So I'm at least back to a functioning system.

I have two issues I have been unable to solve. They are admittedly small details stuff but is still annoying and I'd love to solve them. I know you are a hackintosh user so maybe you have some ideas for me:
1. The mouse no longer works on Clover boot menu (it always worked before with old boot drive).

2. The Clover boot menu icons are huge! It's the wrong aspect ratio & upon boot the initial Apple Logo (white apple on black background) is huge and stretched sideways. At some point before login screen the aspect ratio corrects itself (1920x1080). I should say, before the Intel Clover boot drive died, these two issues did NOT exist. I've tried as many things within CloverConfigurator to adjust this with no result. My system is a legacy BIOS and the last thing I saw to 'correct this' is to select CsmVideoDxe-64 driver in CloverConfigurator. I did that and it provides sort of work around but it doesn't really solve the issue. It does nothing to correct the giant Clover boot menu icons, but it conceals the stretched Apple booting icon with a black screen. After the black screen is done it presents a normal size apple logo with the familiar loading bar below but it is gray apple on white screen (retro look I'm not fond of).

Again, minor issues but It is driving me a little bit berserk and things will never be quite right until I wrangle those two issues!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:39 pm 

Download Clover Configurator and you can change the boot settings there to be your screen's default resolution. The mouse thing is likely a legacy USB setting in the BIOS. You'll need to see what your settings are there.

I highly recommend that you create a USB installer for the OS you intend to use and copy your Clover installation onto that USB installer. This way if you lose access to your drives for any reason, you can pop in the USB installer, use it to boot the clover bootloader, select the drive not booting properly on its own, and then copy the clover installation from the USB drive's EFI partition to the wonky drive's EFI partition and you should be back in business.

Note: Said USB drive must be formatted appropriately for OS X use and must also be formatted using the GUID Partition Table (GPT) scheme, not Master Boot Record (MBR). Only GPT drives/volumes have EFI partitions, which are required for Clover in EFI boot mode.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 am 

I really can't believe this but I just lost a second SSD. The 90GB Corsair Force 3 that I just put Mojave on died in the same way the Intel died. No signs or warning. I booted into a High Sierra back up just to make sure it would work (after doing CCC & Clover). I used a flash stick with Clover on it because I knew it to be bootable and when I got to the desk top the Corsair never mounted. It didn't show up anywhere, disk utility did not see it. I took it out put it on another Sata port, put it on external (in USB enclosure) & nothing. I don't even get an unreadable warning. This kind of an odd coincidence is it not? Other than the fact both drives are were a bit long in the tooth...The Corsair was purchased in 2011. I did do quite a bit of read and write on it the last few days getting Mojave installed on it. I don't know, I guess it's coincidence. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm down to one SSD and a HDD internally. So that's currently High Sierra...I was kind of taking a liking to Mojave though. My system ran more smoothly on Mojave than HS.

Do these SSD's usually give some warning prior to total failure? Is there anyway to determine conclusively that these things are dead and not just in some temporary 'locked' state? We do seem to lose power often here. In fact we just got a $25 credit on our bill for that very thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

No experience, but I'd suspect pure digital devices, with no moving parts would be very likely to be just ON or OFF.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:56 am 

SSDs don't tend to just outright fail. They usually fail to write and that's when you know it's time to back everything up ASAP. But out of the blue failure to even mount is rather rare outside of significant hardware issues with the motherboard. Does the BIOS setup see the SSDs? It really sounds like you have something that's frying your drives on the SATA bus, meaning either a PSU issue or your motherboard's got borked chokes and/or blown capacitors.

It's time to open the system, lay it flat, and inspect every last component on the motherboard and peek inside that PSU if you can. Instant failures are seldom an issue, and the odds of two failing in close succession to one another on the same system are astronomically slim if the hardware is in good condition.