XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:21 am 

There seems to be permissions problems on my external drives that is apparently contributing to backup issues. I know nothing about permissions and why they are granted the way they are to files, folders and volumes.

This issue does NOT involve my startup drive or volume; only external data drives.

So far, in just one of many folders, Tri-Backup has identified many, many files that have permissions differences between the source and destination. I've found that each of my three external storage drives currently in use (not including Time Machine) have different permissions. Get Info reveals:

Audio 1:
"You have custom access"
my account: Read & Write
staff: read only
everyone: read only

Audio 2:
"You can read and write"
system: read & write
admin: read & write

Archive:
"You can read and write"
my account: read & write
wheel: read & write

I don't know why the access and permissions differ on these volumes, but I need to make them the same (for the sake of my sanity), and also make all the files and folders on the source and destination not only the most recent versions, but also to have the same permissions.

Is there a way to globally AND SAFELY change file and folder permissions on external volumes (after giving all the external volumes themselves the same permissions as well)?

Any other comments would be most appreciated, too.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd give all external volumes YOU = R&W, system = R&W.

You can change perm mission on the whole volume in including folders & files by clicking on the gear icon of the Get Info window & choosing Apply to enclosed items.

Wait for a better answer, there should be one. :)

Oh, in the Get Info window, is Ignore Permissions checked or unchecked?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 pm 

Thanks, BD.

"Ignore ownership" is checked only on Audio 1, but not on the other two, for some reason.

Like I said, I know nothing of this stuff but, if "ignore ownership" is not checked on those two volumes (which both happen to be destination drives), could that be why there are now permission problems? Meaning, rather than carrying over the permissions from the source, "ignore" is causing the permissions to be changed to that of the destination volumes?

See, here's an example of why this permission stuff confuses me: I just looked at the permissions of my startup drive:

Mac mini:
"You can only read"
system: read & write
wheel: read only

If I can only read, how is it that I can write files to the drive? (It's more rhetorical than anything else; I'm not expecting an answer to that.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

TB has an Admin mode that I suppose you are & should be using.

I think you do not want to have Ignore Permissions set, that allows you or anyone to R&W anywhere on it, but won't copy Permissions over normally.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:34 pm 

I don't have Administrator privileges enabled in Tri-Backup but, as I am the sole user of this computer and my account is the Admin account, I'm guessing I have correct access, yes?

I just found this, specific to setting permissions on a Mac running Sierra (which I am). I'll assume this refers to files and folders on a startup disk, but it doesn't state whether the same information would apply to external drives. What do you think?

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25287?locale=en_US

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
- Execute with the current user / Administrator permissions: With Administrator mode, the entire disk is available, including the System and the accounts of other users. With the permissions of the current user, other accounts may not be copied nor the System.
Note: We usually use the "current user"mode unless if you want to copy the data to all users. Administrator mode is automatically activated if you choose a "Bootable Copy" action.
- Copy owner and permissions: Every file and folder has an owner and permissions. You can choose to copy these attributes (in this case, you must set the Execute with Administrator option), or conversely to have the default attributes (the copy will have the current user as owner).
- Compression: You can choose to have every file saved or copied as compressed (which reduces the size of the backup) and possibly encrypted with a password (the recovery of each file can only be done if you have the password which was used to encrypt the file).
Note: Compression and encryption routines are proprietary. Tri-BACKUP is necessary to restore the original file.

http://www.tri-edre.fr/pub/files/tribackup8en.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

OK. Here's what I'm thinking. I've been trying to find out exactly how those various sharing and permissions SHOULD be set, but have had no luck. But then I remembered that only several days ago, I reformatted Audio 2 after these backup issues first appeared. Can I assume that the sharing and permissions settings Disk First Aid applied to Audio when reformatting it are the same settings all external drives should have?

EDIT: And those settings on the newly formatted Audio 2 match the settings on the Time Machine disk. I'm thinking that's what the Mac likes.

Last edited by MikeHarrison on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, I would think so, but not sure if Ignore Permissions applies or not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:45 pm 

I edited my last comment as you were commenting: the settings on the recently formatted Audio 2 match those on the Time Machine disk... AND "Ignore ownership" is NOT checked on either of them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:03 pm 

You just ran into the primary problem I had with the multiple source backup scheme. I've had to do the whole permission adjustment thing I don't know how many times. Makes for real fun when backing up documents folders from two different drives to the backup drive. Bleh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 am 

After synchronizing the contents of Audio 1 with its backup, I've reformatted Audio 1, and now its ownership and file/folder permissions exactly match those of the recently reformatted Audio 2 and my Time Machine drive (reformatted a few months ago).

I'm now copying everything back to Audio 1 from its backup using Tri-Backup's Copy Folder/Volume function in administrator mode with the option to also copy all ownership and permissions.

When that's done, I'll go through the same process with my Archive volume so that its ownership and permissions match that of all other external drives.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Please keep us posted as to the final result. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 pm 

The Archive drive was reformatted and, now, all frequently-used external drives have matching ownership and permissions. Two exceptions are a drive partitioned into two different Mac mini clone startups and a spare (both of which remain offline). I will assume the clone drive is formatted correctly, and I won't bother with the spare until it's needed.

Now, I just have to understand the various Tri-Backup functions better to know which to use under which circumstances.

So, thanks again to everyone for the assistance.