XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Apple September 12 event
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:14 pm 
Master

Three things that will not be announced:
  • iPhone XXX
  • Beige minitower with 6 NuBus slots
  • User-replaceable batteries

Really all I want is a modular Mac that doesn't completely suck ass, and maybe has a few exotic ultra-PRO features like expandable RAM. Then maybe I can, once again, actually recommend Macs to people I know. It's been four years.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:35 pm 

I half expect them to announce a Mac Mini Pro with all the cooling headroom of a Mac Mini and stuffed with equipment that needs a minitower.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 pm 
Master

I fully expect that one of two things will occur:
1) Nothing Mac-related will be announced because screw you that's why, or
2) Apple will announce "upgraded" Macs that completely piss in the eye of anyone who might consider buying them because screw you that's why.

Why do I expect that? Because that's been Apple's pattern over the last 10 years, at least until it finally stopped updating desktop modular Macs completely. I truly don't think Apple cares. It doesn't want to release a Mac that will be anything other than an expensive disposable appliance. The current Mac Mini is proof. There is no reason in the world Apple couldn't have made it at least a tiny bit expandable, but it chose to solder everything down anyway. It is actually a downgrade from the 2012 model.

You could argue that there are at least theoretical benefits (to something other than Apple's profit margins) by soldering stuff in to a portable computer. That's a tradeoff: maybe some people really do prefer a computer that's 3mm thinner over replaceable hard drives and RAM. I dunno. But in a desktop computer there is not even any theoretical benefit. There cannot possibly be a reason to do that other than out of simple avarice and spite for your customers. I'm sure Apple knew there was no positive tradeoff involved, and based on that consciously decided "yeah, screw you, we ran the numbers and we'll make more money this way."

How has that calculus changed? It hasn't, so Apple won't release a new affordable Mac with RAM slots. Any new Mac will probably have a soldered SSD too, just to show everyone what really matters: up front profits.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Let me translate what they won't say in public...

Let no Mac equal or better an iPhone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 am 

Maybe they'll announce some really cool new emojis! Ones that you can personalise. You know that's what you really want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:41 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Attachments:
funnyEmoji.jpg
funnyEmoji.jpg [ 9.19 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 pm 
he who stacks pork

I really want El Capitan, Sierra, or High Sierra support for my G4s. I mean really now – how hard of a request is that? My dual 1.8GHz 2GB RAM SSD’d AGP G4 with “unsupported” Radeon 9000 should work just about as well as an 11.6" MacBook Air which supposedly runs High Sierra yet is a slow-ass piece of shit. Universal binaries exist(ed) for a reason.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 am 

I'd settle for Snow Leopard. Like one of those first couple releases which were still PPC/Intel like Leopard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:33 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I'd settle for Snow Leopard. Like one of those first couple releases which were still PPC/Intel like Leopard.

Echo that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:34 am 

BD, that emoji is too, too cool. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:30 pm 

My wife would like a new iPhone so I'm hoping the rumoured 'affordable' handset appears. Unfortunately, the same rumours point to 64, 256 and 512GB storage options with the usual omission of the most desired capacity (128GB) for upsell purposes.

I haven't looked back since moving to Honor in 2014. Now have a 128GB Honor 10 and enjoying the ride.

Since upgrading the 2011MBP it still rocks but the headless mini tower would be nice if Apple ever remembers how to make a decent mac at a decent price. I'd love a Sawtooth anniversary edition next year. One of the best Macs ever. I really think they should spin the Mac business off and let it operate like FileMaker does. Far from the temple of iPhone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 am 
Master

OMG OMGOMG OMG!!!!!11 New iPhones and a WATCH!!!!.

I cannot contain my excitement. It is beyond anything that is even conceivable by the conscious mind. No event in the entire history of all human endeavor can exceed this single moment. I am literally exploding due to the concentrated epicness of this announcement, etc.

I was prepared to not care in the least, but no, all reasonable people must fully agree, these announcements change everything. Forever.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:21 am 

Don't forget we need to take out a car loan in order to get these quickly-obsolete technological trinkets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:54 am 
Master

To be fairish, if I needed a new phone, and had a good reason to get an iPhone over one running Android or something, I'm sure I'd be satisfied. I bet they work reasonably well. I certainly wouldn't spend $1100 or whatever on one, but if I spent six hours a day browsing Facebook and sending InstaSnaps on my phone, and I made about $10,000 more per year than I actually do, I could kind of rationalize spending $500 - $600 on one, which is what the cheap models may be selling for around Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, I'm also pretty well certain I'd be 100% as happy with an iPhone from two years ago. This presents a dilemma for Apple: I suspect many people have also found that as of a couple years ago, phones got as good as they need to be for most people. Now Apple is faced with the question of how it can wring higher margins from a product that should be getting cheaper and isn't (for many people) getting any better.

It has answered that challenge by making the screen bigger, the design more fragile, and removing the headphone jack.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Removing things is always a great way to cut costs & increase profit, but every time somebody in Apple management farts, Apple's stock value increases by 10%.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:27 pm 

One could look at the touch chip and, later, the audio chip being placed in the particular part of the board that sees the most flexing as planned obsolescence.

Of course they could also state that under no certain terms that putting their product in your back pocket and then sitting on the phone isn't an acceptable form of use. But not doing that leads to increased failure rates which leads to increased sales/repair income...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:01 am 

Well, the so-called 'affordable' iPhone X starts at 859€ in Spain. That makes it no go for us. The 7 Plus might be an option but it just looks dated now with the chin and forehead. To the point that Apple is even pushing the X full screen design by comparing it directly to the iPhone 8! A phone that was a current flagship just a few days ago. If it looks dated now, imagine how it will look in 2020 because whatever we get now will have to last at least two years.

I will visit an AppleStore with my wife so she can see the options for herself and how the phones feel in the hand. I will also show her some Android phones with good specs at half the price. It's her call.

The new phones are solid upgrades for an S style cycle but very, very expensive. They are also slipping in features.

Modem, battery and camera are not as strong as the competition and there are still big Android releases to come before year end. Then the refreshes throughout the year while Apple will be sitting on this new lineup the whole time.

By the time they hit P20 Pro levels Apple will be a year and a half behind and the Mate 20 series will extend the lead just next month which will see the superb P20 Pro drop in price, making it even more of a deal.

A major surprise for me was the lack of new uses for 3D depth sensing, seeing as nearly a year ago Honor demoed their own take on the technology but haven't actually implemented it yet. Lots of good ideas that went beyond face unlock. I thought they would borrow some of those ideas.

Huawei even posted some cheeky tweets thanking Apple for keeping things the same. That said, Huawei marketing sometimes goes completely OTT so it's always preferable to wait and see what actually gets released.