XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:18 am 

I've been using Microsoft Word for Mac since around 1987 (long before Office). To a lesser degree, Powerpoint and, lesser still, Excel. I really like Word (except that they've occasionally made changes that I wasn't crazy about) and, the truth is, I pretty much have to use it. But, as support for Office for Mac 2011 has ended, it's probably time to consider updating to Office for Mac 2016.

Trouble is, reviews posted by consumer users (many, perhaps, non-professionals) have tended to less than enthusiastic, while the reviews by PC Mag and ZD Net are much better.

One of the things I didn't like about Word 2011 was a redesign that required re-learning. Counterproductive. I wasn't able to simply pick up where I left off. Against the whole initial concept of making tasks easier.

Are there any Word for Mac 2016 users here who can share their experiences with it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:19 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Mike, have you tried the free Libre-Office?

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:26 pm 

I much prefer Office 2016 to Office 2011, there were a bunch of stability issues particularly with Word 2011 that were just never fixed and Office 2011 was decisively broken by High Sierra.

I like the new interface in Office 2016 because it is more consistent with what PC users have been using since 2013 but that is just my opinion.

However I wouldn't upgrade to Office 2016 now because Office 2019 is being released imminently.

Me and a couple of colleagues are beta testers for Office 2019 and I don't think it is a very compelling upgrade from Office 2016 but it is probably worth waiting for if you're still on 2011.

I have the Office 2016 Microsoft training materials I can send you're way if you're interested.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:19 pm 

I think a lot of reviews of Mac Office tend to be colored by the fact that Pages exists, and Word isn't Pages. Not that this is really a bad thing, Pages has its own host of unique issues that those same people seem to gloss over for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:13 am 

Thanks, BD, for the LibreOffice suggestion. It looks as though it might be a good replacement. But, with the encouraging comments by 601 on Office 2016 and 2019, and because I tend to be very habitual, I think I'll probably wait for that.

Thanks, guys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm 
Master

I have a hard time imagining that anyone who give MS Office bad reviews would give LibreOffice good reviews, unless they're discounting that review against the cost and aren't a very demanding user. OpenOffice forks, as a rule, drive me up the wall, and I'm convinced that no one who programs them has to actually use them regularly as part of their job. I have special distaste for older versions of NeoOffice, but they all seems to inflict their own special miseries.

I'm not jubilantly happy with the MS Office interface, but it works consistently without making me want to actually cry, and it's responsive. Outright bugs are few and far between. It is pretty good about actually opening files written by previous versions. Not all of these are always true of its competitors.

Familiarity does breed contempt, as does paying a lot of money for a tool to work on dull tasks, lots of Mac users reflexively dislike Microsoft, and I suspect some of those factors are represented in reviews.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:09 pm 

Yeah, once I'd become indoctrinated with the Mac in the late 80s, I found working with Windows (at my various jobs) to be tedious (I called it "klunky"), whether it was the difference in how the software behaved and/or the difference in the user interface. I further became disgusted with Microsoft when it was apparent that they were releasing applications fully knowing they were crawling with bugs. And then there were the security issues.

But, after having used it for all these years – and even though they revamped it to where I had to spend extra time learning it again – I still do prefer Word over other word processors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:45 pm 

I think the only reason we give students a preinstalled copy of OpenOffice is so that if they encounter an openoffice file they have the ability to open it. Otherwise we don't expect them to use it. The few who use it regularly usually complain about why the systems aren't running Linux.