XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Clean inside mouse
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 pm 

I have a wired Rocketfish Apple Mouse RF-AFMSE The scroll wheel on top is losing friction with the gearing inside. I've had this happen with other mice and it's usually cat hair and other crud wrapped around the wheel inside the mouse. My last mouse had screws on the bottom and it was easy to get inside and clean the wheel but I can't see how to open this one. Any tips?

Post subject: Re: Clean inside mouse
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:57 am 

FWIW--doesn't require opening--comments say "it works" (except one who says, "ADVISE: when you have this problem and you make this process repeatedly you will break a rubber part inside the mouse and it will be WORSE, it happened to me and IMO it is not so complicated to open it and clean it properly i have to do it after breaking this part. The bad thing is that you can't find this rubber piece to replace it. The piece below the metal will basically melt down. JUST THAT EVERYONE TAKES CARE OF THIS")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JcKEELrl_c

EDIT, not sure it applies but found this one also for real opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroo1GFGFsI

EDIT: might apply, discussion at https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/214 ... ghty+Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 am 

Spudgers are good at opening everything that snaps together, although it may still break when disassembling.

Rocketfish is/was Best Buy's in-store brand for Mac products, right? You might be better off just going back buying a new mouse for $10 or $15 from them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the responses. It is just starting to occasionally slip so maybe I'm not so desperate yet to risk breaking it. I only get near a BestBuy every couple of months so hopefully it'll last until then. The problem with having 3 cats is hair gets into everything and with my last mouse a cleaning every 3 months or so was routine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am 

I have about a 50/50 shot of opening snap together mice. Unless you have some spudgers around it'll probably cost you about the same for spudgers as a new mouse, and spudgers kind of eat themselves over time (the idea is the spudger gets marred instead of the item you're opening).

Apple's mice are usually glued together for god knows why and short of re-gluing them together you just kind of have to fit them back together and remember to look for pieces whenever you lift it off a surface.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm 

I've made spudgers from a cheap nylon spatula. Might have cost me all of $3. Just cut out a piece and grind the edges down. The strips between the cutouts are close to being ready made spudgers. They hold up really well.