XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 am 

What makes POP and Exchange email different, and are there advantages to switching from POP to Exchange? POP has been serving my needs perfectly well for all these years.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am 

POP downloads the mail from the server and then deletes it from the server. There is a feature to "leave mail on server for x days" but it's quirky and infrequently causes old messages to get re-downloaded periodically as new messages.

Exchange works similar to IMAP, it makes a local copy of the mail on the server and leaves the mail on the server. Whenever you make a change to your local copy it then mirrors that change on the server.

Unless you're connecting to an Exchange server you don't want to run in Exchange mode. Exchange servers, by and large, support IMAP connections which is how most non-Microsoft Outlook systems connect to Exchange due to regular interoperability problems with other mail clients. The downside is you lose access to Exchange calendars which can be used within an organization.

The advantage of Exchange/IMAP mode is that if something happens to your system a copy of your mail is safely on the server, waiting for the next system/OS installation to download it. With POP the mail is only on your HD so, barring backups, a HD or system failure can lead to lost mail.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:00 am 

Aha. Thanks, MB. It appears Go Daddy may have been trying to sell me an unnecessary upgrade. My POP email has been free of charge with the hosting of my website. With the exception of some messages that were lost on my HD due to my own actions, I have all my email since 2004 (there's a mailbox for IN and OUT for each year). To reduce the potential for spam trouble (accidentally clicking on a link in an email message), I log onto the email server to see what's there and delete questionable messages before having Mac Mail download. It's an extra step, but there haven't been any issues that way, either.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am 
Master

GoDaddy also had some of the most godawful email servers the planet has ever known...even worse than Yahoo! as a likely to be blacklisted for spamming. Oh boy, and their hosting service...I get vertigo just thinking about it. :classic-eek:

Fortunately their domain registration pages are so ad-ridden it's like swimming upstream through a torrent of molasses to sign up for anything. At least, that's how it was several years ago when I finally gave up on them.

When I'm bored and in a bad mood I sometimes Google (yes, it's a verb too) "GoDaddy hosting sucks."

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Just asking... wouldn't the verb be google ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm 
Master

Meh. I dunno.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm 

I interact with GoDaddy once or twice a year on average just for domain renewals and can't entirely complain about the experience beyond the moronic idiots who registered domains using their personal email addresses and a password known only to them, making renewals by anyone else a measure best left to the imagination. For the domains I personally registered using an address that goes to a group of people involved with domain registrations its been problem free. Though I haven't visited GoDaddy w/o adblockers in 10+ years.