XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hardware issue?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am 

The only way software could have caused the motherboard to fail was by trying to flash the EFI with a genuine Mac EFI. With all the recent vulnerabilities flying around that's a possibility if you have OS X setup to automatically install updates or simply installed updates before it went awry, but I imagine it's an extremely improbable scenario (the Mac Pro 3,1 firmware should have failed long before it was able to write data to flash).

Still, on the new board I would configure it to disallow EFI/firmware/BIOS updating. There's almost always a setting buried someplace to lock out updating the system (you can always go back in and enable it if you want to update). With that disabled it would be nigh-impossible for Apple to flash it. I've seen some OEMs use a jumper on the motherboard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:22 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The only way software could have caused the motherboard to fail was by trying to flash the EFI with a genuine Mac EFI. With all the recent vulnerabilities flying around that's a possibility if you have OS X setup to automatically install updates or simply installed updates before it went awry, but I imagine it's an extremely improbable scenario (the Mac Pro 3,1 firmware should have failed long before it was able to write data to flash).

Still, on the new board I would configure it to disallow EFI/firmware/BIOS updating. There's almost always a setting buried someplace to lock out updating the system (you can always go back in and enable it if you want to update). With that disabled it would be nigh-impossible for Apple to flash it. I've seen some OEMs use a jumper on the motherboard.

Errr....Apple can't and doesn't flash non-Apple mobos. This is a hackintosh. Apple'd run afoul of some very potent laws if they purposely screwed with your computer's hardware like that when they aren't the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:36 am 

But hackintoshes fake being a Mac. Therefore Apple could try to flash it, since it appears to be a Mac to them. I very much doubt it would succeed so many, many levels, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try. As for the legality, you're taking off the shelf hardware and making it appear to be Apple hardware in order to break Apple's license to run Apple's OS on it. Shrinkwrap licenses being the murky question that they are, the idea that Apple would try to update Apple hardware isn't odd. If you make someone else's hardware appear to be Apple's hardware, you're the one creating the situation. But as I said, there's virtually no chance that a motherboard not running Apple's odd EFI firmware would let Apple's odd EFI firmwares touch the motherboard.

Last time I checked iD never did get sued or even served for causing physical damage to HDs with their prelease copy protection on Doom/Doom2/Doom3 (I think they may have kept it up with the Quake alphas). It would cause the head to seek out as far as it could go then make it seek in the opposite direction as far as it could go (I believe it would try to park the heads with timing to maintain that momentum), over and over and over and over while letting the player play the game. A certain dumbass I know didn't shut it off because he was stoned out of his mind and refused to stop playing. It was triggered by having a prerelease version of earlier iD games installed. The end result of a few minutes of this was a completely unreadable HD.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:41 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
But hackintoshes fake being a Mac. Therefore Apple could try to flash it, since it appears to be a Mac to them. I very much doubt it would succeed so many, many levels, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try. As for the legality, you're taking off the shelf hardware and making it appear to be Apple hardware in order to break Apple's license to run Apple's OS on it. Shrinkwrap licenses being the murky question that they are, the idea that Apple would try to update Apple hardware isn't odd. If you make someone else's hardware appear to be Apple's hardware, you're the one creating the situation. But as I said, there's virtually no chance that a motherboard not running Apple's odd EFI firmware would let Apple's odd EFI firmwares touch the motherboard.

Last time I checked iD never did get sued or even served for causing physical damage to HDs with their prelease copy protection on Doom/Doom2/Doom3 (I think they may have kept it up with the Quake alphas). It would cause the head to seek out as far as it could go then make it seek in the opposite direction as far as it could go (I believe it would try to park the heads with timing to maintain that momentum), over and over and over and over while letting the player play the game. A certain dumbass I know didn't shut it off because he was stoned out of his mind and refused to stop playing. It was triggered by having a prerelease version of earlier iD games installed. The end result of a few minutes of this was a completely unreadable HD.

The OS reads the "firmware" version from NVRAM, which clover uses to spoof the actual firmware values. This prevents Apple's updates from even attempting to run. Thankfully, they can't run because obviously they're hardcoded for the specific motherboards Apple uses, not the typical PC motherboards hackintosh users use. As long as you keep Clover up to date, this shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:35 am 

Just a quick update. This new board booted OSX El Capitan easily as both Mac 3,1 & imac 14,2 both with F4 BIOS and the updated BIOS F16j. I updated BIOS because Q-flash is very easy to do and I think it has some features related to using Sierra that might be useful. The next step is to 'validate' all of the SIMBIOS numbers related to the imac 14,2 system def and then try and update to Sierra. Then I can start checking for audio and facetime/messages and the other details. Interestingly, initially I had an issue because there was some remnant of Chimera from years ago that was interrupting the boot process. It took over boot but would never complete the boot process. I wish I knew how I 'fixed' that. It's no longer happening.

Edit: Used the "Update Directly" method to update to OSX Sierra. Went slowly but without any issues. The system boots fine to Sierra. Still have to research and verify SIMBIOS details and fix audio, messages & facetime. I have yet to try and attach to any internet associated network so there is that too.