XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:54 pm 

I don't recall ever having to change anything in the Get Info window of a new external disk before using it. Today I received two new Glyph Studio Minis and, when I attached the first one and attempted to copy files to it, the Finder needed my Administrator password. I thought that was odd, but I entered it and copied the files over. Later, I needed to copy some more files, and Finder again asked for my password. I then checked the disks Get Info window and found, in the Sharing and Permissions section, that the permissions were:

System    :: Read & Write
Wheel      :: Read Only
Everyone :: Read Only

whereas all other disks (excluding the boot disk which is configured the same way) had these permissions:

User        :: Read & Write (instead of user it actually shows my administrator name)
Staff        :: Read Only
Everyone :: Read Only
...and above the permissions window it says "You have custom access."

I was able to change "Wheel" (which I've never seen before) on the new disk to my administrator account (as is the case on all other disks) but I'm not able to delete "System." I don't necessarily need or even want to delete "System;" I just want to have Sharing and Permissions to be the same on all disks (I'll leave the boot disk alone).

Again, I don't remember having to ever enter my password to use new disks. Are new disks being configured differently for a reason?

Signed,

Confused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:19 am 

Just a bit of advice here: If you see "wheel", do not change it. You can feel free to add your account back in if needed, but the wheel account is the system. Having had to manually restore permissions to system files before in the Terminal by using the chown root:wheel command + arguments, I've learned that you do not touch wheel at all if it's already present. Leave it be. Otherwise you can actually lose access entirely to your file(s).

And as of El Crapitan and later, external disks are treated differently. I found this out with Carbon Copy Cloner when I tried to do incremental backups from multiple sources to a single drive. That single drive's permissions got munged every time I did this, and only stayed true to the source when doing a full backup. Seems neither it nor OS X likes giving proper access to externals. Makes launching Blizzard games from them a royal pain in the ass if your main game install is hosed for any reason.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:33 am 

This is an external, non-bootable disk used for storage only. I'd already changed "Wheel" to my admin account name and I can't change it back. Do you think there'll be any problems?

Thanks, Tia.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 am 

MikeHarrison wrote:
This is an external, non-bootable disk used for storage only. I'd already changed "Wheel" to my admin account name and I can't change it back. Do you think there'll be any problems?

Thanks, Tia.

The only problems might surface when trying to make a backup if that's the purpose of the external. But for future reference, if you see wheel as a group type in the get info window, leave it be. That's the root account access level that the system uses, which is why you can't change it back (you can, but only in Terminal using sudo chown root:wheel /PathToVolume, and using chown root:wheel when you aren't sure if the consequences later is dangerous).

For now it's a "let's hope it didn't do anything bad" situation. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 am 

So far – as the disk in question is only for storage – there haven't been any problems.

Thanks again for the advice!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:06 pm 

If its a storage drive not used for backups or booting, the best option is probably to use the "ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox that's (under normal circumstances) present on external HFS+ volumes.

You only need permissions if you want to secure folders on the drive from access by other accounts on your system, are booting off the drive (which needs permissions), or are performing backups (e.g. time machine).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:19 am 

Thanks, MB!