XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:04 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Had a foot of snow at my place & power was out about 14 hours.

eMac would not restart no response from power button, disconnected everything for several minutes, no response again once power was pushed, unplugged power for half hour to an hour, no response again, let it set plugged in awhile longer while struggling to try to Text on an android phone, (remind me to hire a teen next time), with no hope but a prayer, hit power button & eMac chimed to life! :D

Meanwhile, same deal with 2007 iMac, except no joy after a day unplugged, no joy after a day plugged in, 5 more days plugged in & no joy, so I ordered a used iMac, confirmed & Shipped, figured I'd try just once more before unplugging it & moving it… BONG, she starts up!???

Could this all be due to PRAM Batteries, basically they been plugged in & running continuously for years, except for the rare power outages.

It also got down to freezing in here when the power was out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:14 am 
Vice Dictator

iMac environmental temp specs.

Operating environment Operating your iMac outside these ranges may affect performance:
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 90% (non condensing)
Operating altitude: 0 to 10,000 feet (0 to 3048 meters)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, that may be it, thanks Sandy! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 am 

I hope that's the reason for your issues.

Did any pipes freeze & break? Sheesh, 14 hours is a LONG time to be without power in the winter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 am 
Benevolent Dictator

No pipes that I know about, & it makes pretty much sense that the freezing teps were the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:41 pm 

I live on a pretty stable, modern grid except for the final delivery stage which is via overhead cables.

Last Sunday we had exceptionally high winds and I was getting two or three second outages for around 12 hours. They could come in waves or a after roughly 15 minute intervals. All in all there were hundreds of the micro outages. I wonder if they did any damage to my appliances. I unplugged the TV's but my fridge, freezer, oven, microwave etc were plugged in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yikes...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:27 pm 

If it's not temps, I certainly would suspect PRAM battery. I've had 680x0, PPC, and Intel systems refuse to start until their battery was replaced. Laptops seem a hardier breed since most don't include a PRAM battery, but in absolute worst cases disconnecting it from power, battery, pressing and holding the power button for a couple seconds, then reconnecting battery & power seems to bring them back to life.

The worst power outage I've gone through was 2 weeks while the power company shipped in and replaced a substation it knew needed maintenance then replacement, but procrastinated on doing anything until it finally exploded (I feel sorry for the homeowners around it, their houses got damaged). A hundred block area was without power that entire time. I ended up figuring out how to charge everything at work and in the car, and located coffee shops and telephone retailers outside the zone of death with puiblic WiFi accessible in the parking lots after hours. Oddly enough I was usually alone... I think everyone else who wanted to get on the internet just stayed with relatives. Even the few people with whole-home generators were internet-less because the zone was so large the closest hop was w/o power.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:19 am 

I remember back in the early 90s I had a IIcx that wouldn't start with pressing the power button. This of course had a separate monitor and I would turn both off at night. We hit upon a temporary solution which was leave the monitor turned on for a while, turn it off, then power up. The figured the monitor was somehow serving as a capacitor for the system and kind of jump starting the computer. This was all so long ago I don't recall what the problem was and if it was just the PRAM battery or if it was the actual power source (I am getting the feeling it was that).

If you're worried about pipes freezing in that kind of situation, leave the water running a bit.

We lost power for about 24 hours two summers ago. It was pretty hot outside (high 90s + humid). The heat was expanding the copper wires along the alley behind our house and they were getting close enough to arc, plus do something to the transformer. Eventually Xcel came and put a spacer on the wires but we couldn't use our AC or even a fan.