XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Zen or 7700K
Poll ended at Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:14 am
(Gesundheit)-Zen 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Current no Tick-Tock model 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:18 am 

I recommend Skytrain in Bangkok as You see the city structure at the same time, taxi from airport works too, if traffic is not exceptionally bad. I once spent like 2 hours in a taxi on one bridge (not from the new airport), so trains and metro are more reliable way to transit in Bangkok. But big luggage bags will make You want to use taxi. Tuk tuk is ok if one like riding them, usually taxi with air condition costs the same amount though and should be safer in the city traffic. In smaller places an occasional tuk tuk trip could be more fun.

Hepatitis A vaccination would probably be a good idea, people here are quite clean and tidy, but the idea of catching diseases by touch (and hence by food) does not seem to be common knowledge here (like ice from the same source is used both for cooling bottles and cans and then put to drink). Bottled water and ice from unopened ice bag would be a safe bet. And do not let mosquitoes bite too much, mostly because of the change to get Dengue fever. I would suggest using any kind of light while moving around while it is dark outside Bangkok city, since there are nasty centipedes, snakes and even some spiders that are easy to avoid by doing so. Couple of weeks should be such a short time that the risk of these kind of encounter should be quite small around human dwellings. I have had some near encounters with bugs and snakes in the past 6 years, but nothing has actually happened, and I live in countryside. I would recommend using street food, You see what You are going to get that way. Nobody guarantees what people do in the restaurant kitchen (joking), I would assume most of the people in restaurants and the street vendors use the same rules here. I do not eat frogs here, dunno if I'm too careful but they might contain some exotic worms (like cousins of the brain worm) that western doctors might not look for later on. Rat I have tasted here in the countryside, it was fine together with pork, but I think the tourist regions serve just pork and chicken, no worries!

Yeah those grape fruits are tasty mixed with various food ingredients. I also like the Thai salads, but I would suggest ordering the less spicy forms here as with other foods, unless the eater knows his/her chilli. Again the vendors might be already familiar with this spice thing in tourist regions, so the only way to be sure is to order the 'normal' portion as a reference :D I have had a mild flu for the past 3 days, feels almost like rambling while drunk :p_dog:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 am 

Thanks so much miero. Will be passing all the info on in a couple of hours. Glad you've settled into the country and adapted to the new life.

My move to Spain was far easier with EU integration but now Brexit could throw a little spanner in the works. I hope the political problems have settled down a little.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:22 am 

You're welcome, Avon B7. I'm just fine with this relaxed, slow pace countryside life. One thing to add about being here for tourists, traffic is the most dangerous thing. Always look were Your'e going, no one else might not. Look at the both sides every time, in reverse order as traffic is left-handed.

Edit: For English visitors being in the left side in traffic is of course not a new thing, but still everyone and their dogs will be passing You from the left and right sides at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

miero,

what a beautiful build! i like the case, noctua heatsink, the design on the lower half of the motherboard, and the mostly black components. thank you for sharing. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:26 am 

Thank You for the compliments, Mc68k. There were some black SATA cables included in the motherboard box, but not enough to change all of them and I usually don't see the inside, so I did not bother with the cable colours. What makes this setup a bit ugly is the toxic green colour led behind the graphic card Palit logo. The color could be set to whatever, but at the expense of functionality. The colour by default changes according to the card temperature (3 different states/colours), but of course there is no option to change the colours in this scheme. So a prettier colour would mean losing this temperature indicator feature... :upset: First world problem, maybe? :coffee:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Forgot to mention... I think it's a beauty too. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:34 am 

Thanks BDAqua, with this Corsair Graphite Series 780T ATX computer case it is very easy to hide the cables and to reach to almost every place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:01 pm 

Thanks miero. Hope the flu has passed :?
I've passed on all the info. Thunderbirds are go!

Btw. I left busy London for busy Barcelona in 1991 and then left Barcelona for the Med coast in 2004.

I still visit Barcelona Monday to Friday but am now also used to a more relaxed lifestyle (except for summer when the population triples. :cry:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 am 

Hi all,

yeah the flu passed after 12 days, it made trying to think while working quite hard.

The new setup is just as much better as expected in gaming, so it was worth the upgrade. AMD Ryzen 7 1800X would cost 18,900 now and I paid 13,990 for the i7-7700K, which costs now about 12,000 bahts. I can't see any gains in normal use compared to AMD 8350. The memory upgrade from 8GB to 16GB helps a lot with my work, but otherwise same, same. I am looking forward for new AMD processors after maybe 3-4 years. My 4K display could make me to buy yet another graphics card before that, let's see.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:18 pm 

Hopefully once the fervor over the new CPUs dies down Ryzen prices will drop.

Its like trying to get a Switch for the $299.99US MSRP right now...