XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recommended thumb drives
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:06 pm 

I need to get some new thumb drives. don't need anything too large but my 1 GB drives are starting to slow down and misbehave. Any yes votes and no votes as to brand?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:03 pm 

I really like Kingston - and tested them again San Disk and they were much faster - but this was a few years ago.
This is the drive, but it was in 2GB size when I got it:
http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/personal_business/dtse9h

It doesn't have a cover for protection however. OTOH it is slim and fits quite nicely on the tight close together ports on our MBPs.
It really is quite tiny.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:28 pm 

Get one of these. I have the 64 GB version and it's insanely fast. We're talking low end SSD fast. If they had a 128 GB version I would have my hackintosh's entire OS backed up on it instead of on a platter HD that's always online as well. And these are solidly built.

Avoid Lexar like the plague. Every last one of their recent drives, including my 128 GB USB 3.0 Jump Drive was defective. It would fail formatting nearly every time in Windows, and while OS X would format them properly every time, I couldn't trust them to write data. And they are so flimsy I am able to literally pry them apart with minimal force using only my thumbnail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:06 am 

I've had good luck with AData, Patriot Memory, and Silicon Power drives. The AData and Silicon Power drives are reasonably priced and, assuming you pay a little more, reasonably fast. All have cheap drives that aren't very fast.

My main issue with flash drives is that many of them slow down as they fill up. So you get it and rah rah rah they're fast but use it for a while, fill it up, and their performance drops.

This is the drive I'm currently using:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0095-00068

I carry it around with me at work. It gets mostly full, it's still fast. I clear off some space, it's still fast. I have installation files and other data on it that I use all the time, primarily with coworkers who can't connect to staff networks and instead waste their lives fighting students for bandwidth, so I end up just using data on the flash drive instead of a staff server.

I've also used Kingston, Samsung, LaCie, and SanDisk drives. I generally have good luck with flash drives beyond occasionally losing them... which is usually someone wandering into my office and walking off with one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:42 am 

Oddly the 1 GB drive with which I am having most problems is a Lexar. However, I bought it back in 2004 I think and in the past 4 years it has seen re-writing of files 2-3 times a week so it has really held up well with time. It may be like Seagate where they used to be the top notch drive and then turned turtle and now they get some of the worst ratings.

I hadn't even been thinking of large capacity drive but mention made me have a look and through Costco I can get a SanDisk 256 GB drive for $40! My wife's 250 GB MBP computer needs a backup drive and I didn't want to have to get something huge like a 1 TB drive and have all that space go to waste (and after 3 years she still doesn't have more than 120 GB of files on it) , but then I also didn't want to spend nearly the same amount on a smaller drive that I would for a big one. A 256 GB flash drive for $40 sounds like it meets the spot. In usual Costco fashion they don't actually list the model but on Amazon a SanDisk thumb drive the same size gets pretty good ratings and is $55. I could also plug it directly into her computer so she would be more prone to actually use it if she doesn't have to set up a conventional external drive with wires, etc.

http://www.costco.com/Sandisk-256-GB-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive.product.100290584.html

They don't mention any part numbers for direct comparison but it is USB 3 so it can't be that old. I sometimes find with Costco though they seem to stock things that don't get great consumer reviews when I double check them back home.

They also have a 3-pack of 16 GB drives for $19.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:42 pm 

Well, I got a 32GB AData for $7 shipped recently on a sale. It is not, however, very fast. Generally you pay more for speed. But I just wanted a $7 flash drive since my stockpile was running low.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:52 pm 
Master

I got a load of AData drives a couple years ago and every single one of them was dead within a month.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:24 am 

Limnos wrote:
Oddly the 1 GB drive with which I am having most problems is a Lexar. However, I bought it back in 2004 I think and in the past 4 years it has seen re-writing of files 2-3 times a week so it has really held up well with time. It may be like Seagate where they used to be the top notch drive and then turned turtle and now they get some of the worst ratings.

I hadn't even been thinking of large capacity drive but mention made me have a look and through Costco I can get a SanDisk 256 GB drive for $40! My wife's 250 GB MBP computer needs a backup drive and I didn't want to have to get something huge like a 1 TB drive and have all that space go to waste (and after 3 years she still doesn't have more than 120 GB of files on it) , but then I also didn't want to spend nearly the same amount on a smaller drive that I would for a big one. A 256 GB flash drive for $40 sounds like it meets the spot. In usual Costco fashion they don't actually list the model but on Amazon a SanDisk thumb drive the same size gets pretty good ratings and is $55. I could also plug it directly into her computer so she would be more prone to actually use it if she doesn't have to set up a conventional external drive with wires, etc.

http://www.costco.com/Sandisk-256-GB-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive.product.100290584.html

They don't mention any part numbers for direct comparison but it is USB 3 so it can't be that old. I sometimes find with Costco though they seem to stock things that don't get great consumer reviews when I double check them back home.

They also have a 3-pack of 16 GB drives for $19.

You should be aware that people that use the drive listed in the costco link are reporting a dismal <10 MB/sec transfer rate. If you have a ton of files, especially smaller ones, expect glacially slow performance on that drive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 am 

Thanks ST. That's what I was worried about but I didn't see any reviews on the Costco site. The model number wasn't in the information. I even tried doing a Google image search. Where did you find this information?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:09 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I got a load of AData drives a couple years ago and every single one of them was dead within a month.
I wish I could say I was surprised, but all the cheap drives tend to die young. I don't really trust this 32GB unit but I'll use it for bootable media.

That being said I've had a series of S102 and S102 Pro units from AData that have been soldiering on for years now. The Pro units in particular have been rewritten dozens of times over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:53 pm 

i bought one of these recently and I really like it.
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital ... s=kingston
it's made by reputable memory manufacturer, cheap, very small, metal casing is better than plastic, fits on keychain, USB 3 transfer speeds, 5yr warranty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:25 pm 

I got one of these:

Samsung

But i haven't had time to test it much. It's small so if you don't have it on a key ring or something similar you might lose it. It's splash and shockproof too. All metal casing.

Shortly after I saw this:

SanDisk

but I cancelled the order as I found literally hundreds of complaints about it getting hot enough to cause blisters. At the time it was on offer for 12€

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:33 pm 

Avon B7,
Did you just edit your post?
I swear a moment ago both links took me to the SanDisk item, now the Samsung one does indeed get me to Samsung.
Tell me I'm not going crazy - at least not in relation to this, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:44 pm 

I bought that same Samsung drive, although the 32GB unit because it was on sale for under $10. I've filled/emptied it a couple times, though the filling was over USB 2.0 and the guy I've handed it to copies it off over USB 3, so I have no idea of its actual speed. I don't know why but when I saw the picture I thought it was going to be bigger.

... I think by this point everyone knows my impulse purchase point is under $10. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 am 

Mrs H wrote:
Avon B7,
Did you just edit your post?
I swear a moment ago both links took me to the SanDisk item, now the Samsung one does indeed get me to Samsung.
Tell me I'm not going crazy - at least not in relation to this, anyway.

I can certify you completely sane. Congratulations. :D

Yes, I did a quick edit as my iPad didn't pick up the Samsung link and kept the SanDisk one in memory.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:39 am 

The print on a lot of shop receipts wears off over a surprisingly short time. Often before the warranty runs out. I scan mine to have a backup and for insurance purposes if I ever have to make a claim. I also keep photos of some boxes for the info they sometimes have.

All of this info is on the Samsung drive which I always have with me. It's a habit I've had since my pre-cloud days but I haven't been able to break it yet. I suppose it would be better to just put them on some cloud service but I haven't got round to it yet.

It means speed isn't such an issue for me in this case and its tiny size helps.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:

I can certify you completely sane. Congratulations. :D ...

That's a relief - though Mr H might disagree

Avon B7 wrote:
The print on a lot of shop receipts wears off over a surprisingly short time. Often before the warranty runs out. I scan mine to have a backup and for insurance purposes if I ever have to make a claim. I also keep photos of some boxes for the info they sometimes have....

I love the idea of photoing the boxes - I never thought of that! Some call me "neurotic" - I call me "cautious"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:34 pm 

Oh, the drives I thought were LaCie were Mushkin. However I have some LaCie micro drives floating around on routers someplace. They're actually MicroSD readers where the MicroSD card fits into the USB connector, the electronics are in the "butt" that sticks out. Using a micro-screwdriver you can pull the card out and put another in its place.

I also noticed last night I have a 16GB drive made by OCZ that's managed to outlive OCZ. Given OCZ's track record that's rather surprising, they imploded mostly due to their horrible quality control.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:00 pm 

Totally off topic
@ Monkeyboy! Yesterday after years of trying to figure out your profile pix, I finally got around to tracking it down via google image search - cat sandwich indeed, and now you go and change it!
Cowboy bebop ein gif? Looks like a Pembroke Welsh Corgi to me (which is mine, from an optician's office in Kyoto)
In fact, it is a PWC!
"Cowboy Bebop (カウボーイビバップ Kaubōi Bibappu?) is a 1998 anime television series animated ... They are later joined by Faye Valentine, an amnesiac con artist; Edward Wong, an eccentric girl skilled in hacking; and Ein, a genetically-engineered Pembroke Welsh Corgi with human-like intelligence."
Source wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:50 pm 

My old profile pic was Alf. A running joke on the series was that Alf felt cats were very tasty. I don't really remember much else about the show besides that.

Ein is from Cowboy Bebop, where he/she is a genetically engineered hyper-intelligent Corgi, capable of hacking computer systems given the right interface.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:58 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
Cowboy bebop ein gif? Looks like a Pembroke Welsh Corgi to me (which is mine, from an optician's office in Kyoto)
In fact, it is a PWC!
"Cowboy Bebop (カウボーイビバップ Kaubōi Bibappu?) is a 1998 anime television series animated...and Ein, a genetically-engineered Pembroke Welsh Corgi with human-like intelligence."
Source wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop

MonkeyBoy wrote:

Ein is from Cowboy Bebop, where he/she is a genetically engineered hyper-intelligent Corgi, capable of hacking computer systems given the right interface.

I knew it! A PWC!
We love the breed, had 2, who travelled with us on our European/North African adventure back in our youth.

Corgis don't need to be genetically engineered to be intelligent, they just are.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:15 pm 

No argument that Corgis are intelligent, however they're not quite smart enough to hack into heavily protected computer systems. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:07 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’ve tried seven different 32GB drives over the past year. So far, the Toshiba-branded and ADATA-branded ones have been bulletproof, whereas the other ones have had read/write and general reliability issues (as in, threw in trashcan). I believe I bought the two 32GB Toshibas and ADATA ones from NewEgg. Sandisk are garbage from my experiences with them.

-he who stacks pork