XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:01 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I've mentioned this before but man when things start randomly crashing at home I really get ticked off and cranky, because dealing with that is my day job. :D

I feel your pain. For me, it’s after a long day of work, it’s dark outside (and my shitty apartment is a dimly-lit dungeon), everything I have to read is small print on a dark surface, I need a goddamn flashlight to diagnose problems, and I’m out of beer.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:41 pm 

I'm too cheap to buy LEDs but I'm all in on CFL - the nice thing about both is you can get ton of light for the same wattage as an incandescent. A 40W CFL is the equivalent lumens of a 150W incandescent, so any socket rated for 40W can contain a light as bright as the sun. As for small print, I've given in to my age and bought reading glasses. If I need a bit of spot light the flashlight on my phone works reasonably well. That's not bugging me.

What bugs me is I spend all day fighting stupid issues created by people who simply don't give a shit what they break while trying to break the law (trying to get something for free and infecting everything they touch in the process, including going to multiple systems and trying the same steps because it's not their inability to recognize a virus at work, no its our stupid equipment not allowing their malware site disguised as a free movie site to operate) at best, at worst they're not paying attention and smashing displays and systems by either dropping heavy items on them or pushing them off desks while powered on. And with a $0 budget I have to figure out how the hell to pick up the pieces they've left behind, which we only find out about because a crabby person came in later and sat down in front of it and is annoyed that the equipment doesn't work perfectly at all times without any effort on their part, sometimes including a refusal to pay attention and learn how to actually accomplish the task they're in that room to accomplish. So then we have to review security footage to find when the last idiot was in there with a boom or video camera or whatever they didn't learn to operate when they were being taught how to operate it to find out who gets charged for the equipment, but because the idiot who installed said security cameras didn't know what he was doing it's a goddamn shitshow.

So when I come home from all that and find that my equipment isn't working right, it feels like I'll never get a break from my workplace insanity.

So, yeah, I need a vacation.

But least my stuff at home has been working mostly well. I even managed to stop RDR2 from crashing every 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Such a thankless job. :bonk: :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:25 am 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Short-lived “fame”; made it to #8 overall. Yet it will fall, yet rise again… only to fall again, perhaps rise, and eventually fall once more.

Congrats on #8 Leo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:23 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Such a thankless job. :bonk: :(
I get thanks quite a bit, although not from the ones trying to circumvent restrictions. They don't like me much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

That makes me feel a bit better. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 pm 

Sometimes I wonder about the true cost/savings to be green all the time, both in terms of personal costs and overall environmental costs. I put in CFL in our house about a decade ago but noticed in some fixtures I was having to regularly replace them because CFLs (and LEDs) are not designed to work in enclosed fixtures. So the question then is, do we really save any money on newer bulbs once we factor in shorter life or having to install new fixtures? Then too, we had to take CFLs to a special disposal center so did my driving 20 miles and sitting in the car with the engine running in a waiting line for 15 minutes really negate the energy savings? Now we have transitioned to LED. Now LED use less energy but we mostly need lights in winter when the waste energy in lighting which come mostly in the form of heat is something we can use in our house anyway. So our heating system comes on perhaps a bit longer because we are using energy saving bulbs? I don't know. I do know that I removed a bunch of still usable CFLs because I knew I didn't want to be doing multiple trips to the disposal place. So what about all the manufacturing resources I wasted in doing that? So you see where I am going with this? It really is impossible to get the true costs of some of these things, particularly if you are not the kind of person who "has" to get a new iPhone because your old one is 2 years old and won't play 3D 4K video or whatever. I remember hearing somebody saying that the greenest car is one you own because of the resources that have to go into making a new car.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I've often wondered this too... how much pollution is created, mostly in other parts of the world by mandating Catalytic Converters which require mining & smelting of rare metals, platinum, rhodium and/or palladium.

Then the pollution of the manufacturing & shipping processes, then...

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200 ... 608100.php

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 pm 

I don't particularly care about how green the light is, I care about being able to put the sun into a 40w receptacle. If I went back to a 40w bulb it'd be dim.

I'm not entirely sure that a CFL or LED that consumed 40w of power (putting out 150w or god knows how much in an LED) is necessarily running cooler than a 40w incandescent. 150W CFLs get ungodly bastard hot. Turn off the light and let it sit for a few minutes before touching it with your bare hand hot... which is pretty much true with incandescents...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:55 am 

A 100W incandescent and a 23W CFL and an 18W LED (I think those are the correct values) all produce the same amount of light. It's just that a LED uses a few watts to produce waste heat whereas an incandescent uses most of its 100W to produce waste heat. LEDs still produce some waste heat though which is why an 18W LED will get pretty warm. Incandescent bulbs got pretty hot in a closed fixture but since it was basically a wire and glass there were no sensitive electronics to worry about, unlike CFLs and LEDs.

The other thing about LEDs and CFL is their supposed life. They are advertised as x-tens of thousands of hours but in reality after some period of time they just start slowly getting dimmer, so that tens of thousands of hours life isn't true unless you're happy with something ending up like a candle. I think I have to swap out our bulbs in the dining room every three years or so and when I do it is amazingly brighter. And I did have a CFL "blow" on me twice. I was in the room and smelled burning electronics and saw the outside of the base had a nice char hole in it. I much preferred the way an incandescent produced the same amount of light all the time until it failed, and then failed safely.

The other advantage of LED over CFL is CFLs contain mercury, and hence the trips to a special disposal site to get rid of them. I prematurely replaced a bunch of CFLs so I wouldn't have to be doing a trip to the site multiple times over the next few years. I actually bought two CFLs when they were first introduced in the late 1980s. They were 60W equivalents, cost about $20+ each, and were quite large and heavy (maybe 4" diameter and 6" long). They actually contained a small amount of a short-lived radioactive substance (sort of like a smoke detector) to act as a starter. Talk about a hazardous waste nightmare.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:49 pm 

Note that I'm not comparing bulbs of equivalent lumens, I'm comparing bulbs that draw equivalent wattage. So a receptacle that can accept a 40W bulb can take either a 40W incandescent or a CFL equivalent to 150W incandescent or an LED of substantially more. A 100W receptacle could accept a theoretical CFL that produces the equivalent light of a 375W incandescent.

I honestly don't care about lifetime. I care about lumens. And I can get more lumens from a given socket with a CFL or LED, and CFLs are a lot cheaper. I drive past a recycling center on my way into work and could drop off a CFL every workday with only a 10 minute delay. They did catch fire and nearly burn the building down a couple years ago but they reopened last year. They're partnered with the prison industrial complex so they're mostly staffed by people working off their "community service" - I suspect someone got disgruntled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:55 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Note that I'm not comparing bulbs of equivalent lumens, I'm comparing bulbs that draw equivalent wattage. So a receptacle that can accept a 40W bulb can take either a 40W incandescent or a CFL equivalent to 150W incandescent or an LED of substantially more. A 100W receptacle could accept a theoretical CFL that produces the equivalent light of a 375W incandescent.

I honestly don't care about lifetime. I care about lumens. And I can get more lumens from a given socket with a CFL or LED, and CFLs are a lot cheaper. I drive past a recycling center on my way into work and could drop off a CFL every workday with only a 10 minute delay. They did catch fire and nearly burn the building down a couple years ago but they reopened last year. They're partnered with the prison industrial complex so they're mostly staffed by people working off their "community service" - I suspect someone got disgruntled.

40W of LED can get you a fine bit of luminance. Efficacy these days is upward of 113 lumens per Watt for average stuff on the market without spending too much money.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:20 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Must be my eyes, the Cross Watt rating of the LEDs I've bought are way overrated for Lumens or Brightness, they don't seem to penetrate empty space 1/4 as good as Incandescent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Congrats to Dean Steede passing me today! :)

http://stats.distributed.net/team/tmemb ... 7&source=y

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:07 pm 
he who stacks pork

2,040,642 for the day – I’ll take it! That strange heat-related GPU bug struck again. Fans kicked in 100% on both RX580s sometime in the middle of the night – it did in fact wake me up but thanks to the bottle of 15.8% ABV old vine zinfandel (Sonoma County) I had earlier, I was too tired to get up and reset the Hackintosh. I restarted it this afternoon so hopefully it will play nicely like a nice Mormon boy. I’m not certain if it’s truly kicking out those GKeys/second or if it’s just a bug… but once again, I’ll take it!

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, what a Zinger,,, congrats Leo! :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:41 pm 
he who stacks pork

It’s doing it again, but I am lettin’ er ride it out… until something catches on fire! :o :upset: Could be a glitch or a Gigakey/second backdoor… who knows for sure? :confused: :whip: :p_dog:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:00 pm 

Okay, but if you accidentally create a black hole its on your head.

:badteeth:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:04 pm 
he who stacks pork

If there’s a black hole, I’m jumping head first into that motherfucker. Surely there have got to be greener pastures than this portrait of American life.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:30 pm 
Team Towel Guy

Hey guys . . . Team Towel Guy here . . . I've slowly worked my way up to #147 on the team stats . . . proud to say that, out loud . . . . From all of the recent posts about light bulbs and the economics involved it might be understandable about the V-8 like "mileage" that goes along with running the cMP to get stats posted . . . but every once in a while I try to run up a few crunches.

Since I just did a fresh install of High Sierra as the first in system into the new Crucial SSD, I'm still getting stuff set up, I tried to run dnetc today from one of the folders I could access in my olde version of HS in a reglar HDD, but I didn't feel like going through the "account set up" for it at the time . . . .

But, looking at what I'm running through my Nvidia GTX 780 . . . using Nvidia drivers & CUDA driver 418.163 installed; it looks like I have the "dnetc520a-cuda55" folder is marked for the one to use . . . rather than the newer numbered "dnetc521-amd64" or the "dnetc521-OpenCL" options?? Possibly I tested them out and the 520a cuda . . . seemed to be "faster"??? But that is the one I have been using in HS 10.13 . . . does that make sense? The "older" version is a better fit for the "older" machine??

Also on the dnetc "client downloads" are listed 3 options for "x86/CUDA 3.1, 3.0. 2.2" with some data about, "version must match installed version" . . . and then something about "see readme.cuda" . . . but running that as a site brought back error, and searching their site brought back nothing??? Is any of this super critical to get just a bit more of an "edge" in the team play???? Easiest would be to drag the 520a folder over into the new drive, but if one of the newer options would be better to try, if I have to run through the "client set up" again, then I'd rather just do it once??? :snail: :bonk: :whip:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:45 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Congrats... 2 days in both April & May! :) :coffee:
dnetc521-amd64 is for ATI cards not nVidia! cards.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:55 pm 
Team Towel Guy

Thanks . . . sometimes I can be a team player . . . anyone need a fresh towel???

So, OK. 521 is ATI . . . might have been from when I still had the radeon card installed??? . . . before the time when "metal-unfriendliness" was preventing upgrading to the 10.14 system that never sleeps????

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

How are you sterilizing these towels these days?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:21 am 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
How are you sterilizing these towels these days?

I use a mix of hydroxychloroquine and UV light . . . then they get put on a SpaceX shutle for a fly-by the Sun for the final "sterilization" . . . whatever returns gets a splash of bleach for "added freshness" . . . . Air dried next to a busy farmer's market . . . for "balance." :welcome:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:lol:

Great work!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next