XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 pm 
he who stacks pork

Hate to wax all political n shit… but I blacklisted Jeff Bezos’ empire about late January of 2018. For graphics cards (used) on eBay for RC-5 related crap I’ve had roughly 97% success. Worst case ever was card needed cleaning/reapplication of thermal compound. Have never been sold the wrong thing (except for those kick-yourself-in-the-face from China crap we’ve done once or twice over the years).

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 am 

Beware of buying auto parts on eBay, it's mostly counterfeit stuff with horrible QC and made from materials unsuitable for the load it'll be under. I say this as someone who's eBay sourced control arm cracked in half while driving home one night. After talking with the manufacturer they showed me the ways it differed from their actual part.

That being said I did build a PC almost entirely from parts sourced from eBay
Attachment:
Case3.jpg
Case3.jpg [ 60.74 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

Unfortunately the CPU is reaching 80C to 90C under normal loads even with this Noctua cooler so I think whoever had it before me delidded the damn thing and put the lid back on w/o adequate thermal material. The Noctua CPU cooler is from Amazon because I was fed up with unexpected reboots and wanted a fix now dammit. I didn't realize it came with optional orange vibrational inserts, which was a happy coincidence given the color scheme. Before that I had a Wraith Max which has a configurable LED if you use it with a compatible motherboard... which this is not.

I built it a year and a half ago for a media server and finally pulled the trigger on an 8TB drive a couple weeks ago. Unless its transcoding it doesn't need a lot of grunt, but it's an A10-7850 so it's got a little kick. Hey, it beats using a Pi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:50 am 
Team Towel Guy

@MB:

But would a Pi "get the job done"???? :coffee: I'm just "curious" because a buddy of mine was playing with a Pi awhile back and he said, "For the money it's pretty amazing" . . . something like that . . . .

And then all of the shipping costs to get all the parts together from eBay . . . and having to hammer and screw those parts together . . . all takes time . . . and shall we say, "energy" . . . mental energy to keep the process "orderly" . . . and then the sending back of the bad parts . . . and the waiting, and the phone calls . . . .

Whereas with the Pi, all you need is some kind of enclosure . . . and what, plug it in to a wall socket . . . and it's doing stuff??? for pretty cheap . . . . :shock: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:54 pm 

A Pi 3 or 4 would work, so long as it didn't need to transcode the video. Once it did it'd be a long-pause stuttering mess. Even my A10 has trouble transcoding, though doubly so when it reboots in the middle. I don't think its rebooted since I put the new HSF on, but its not quite as hot as before (still gets to scary temps).

Decided to pull the trigger on a new CPU. Newer revision, slightly faster, just have to verify I updated the motherboard BIOS all the way before installing it. Went with a Hong Kong seller because US sellers wanted twice the price. Unfortunately that means I won't have it until next month. (sigh)

A Pi4 is a neat little box though. Mine's hopelessly overpowered for what I'm using it for (pihole, a filtering DNS server) at the moment. I have my heart set on this case, though not enough to preorder. $50 case for a $50 computer but goddamn its pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm 
Team Towel Guy

@MB:

Very handsome case indeed . . . but last I heard the PI was $35??? I guess the $50 Pi is the faster item?? :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:06 pm 

Depends on what Pi you want to get. You can get a Pi Zero for $5. If you want a Zero with WiFi then it's $10 or $15. With the Pi 4 there's multiple models with 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB of RAM, and I think some models come w/ and w/o WiFi/Bluetooth though maybe they all do (mine did). Pi 4 also comes with Gigabit ethernet, USB 3.0 ports, and dual HDMI ports. It's a big jump from the Pi 3 and costs a little more as a result.

I think the base kit I bought for my Pi 4 4GB was $60 or $65 which included a case, a power switch, and power supply. An SD card (which it defaults to for bootable media) was extra, and I didn't like their case so I bought my own. All told it was around $100 for everything including a 32GB high-endurance SD card (Sandisk only charges a couple bucks extra, Samsung is over twice the price). The default Linux distribution they use is based on Debian so I'm right at home since I've been farting around with Ubuntu server for the past few years.

Well my A10-7890K shipped. Now to wait until November 15th. (sigh)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 pm 

A-10 Warthog? Cool ride... lol.

Attachment:
300px-A-10_-_32156159151.jpg
300px-A-10_-_32156159151.jpg [ 15.79 KiB | Viewed 3402 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:51 pm 

A10s aren't nearly as cool as an A-10. It draws as much power as my i7 but is much less powerful. OTOH my i7 has a power-hungry desktop GPU as well, while the A10's built-in is actually usable for tasks like video encoding and light gaming (not that I have a monitor hooked up).

Its crazy that they expect fragile F-35s to carry out close air support tasks. Those poor pilots. And their families.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:33 pm 
Team Towel Guy

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Depends on what Pi you want to get. You can get a Pi Zero for $5. If you want a Zero with WiFi then it's $10 or $15. With the Pi 4 there's multiple models with 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB of RAM, and I think some models come w/ and w/o WiFi/Bluetooth though maybe they all do (mine did). Pi 4 also comes with Gigabit ethernet, USB 3.0 ports, and dual HDMI ports. It's a big jump from the Pi 3 and costs a little more as a result.

I think the base kit I bought for my Pi 4 4GB was $60 or $65 which included a case, a power switch, and power supply. An SD card (which it defaults to for bootable media) was extra, and I didn't like their case so I bought my own. All told it was around $100 for everything including a 32GB high-endurance SD card (Sandisk only charges a couple bucks extra, Samsung is over twice the price). The default Linux distribution they use is based on Debian so I'm right at home since I've been farting around with Ubuntu server for the past few years.

Well my A10-7890K shipped. Now to wait until November 15th. (sigh)

@MB:

Thanks for that description of the various choices . . . so the "hard drive" is via an SD card . . . and is the 32GB card the largest option, or any card could be used to get more storage and more GUI eye candy fired up??

eep4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am 

I don't know what the largest card supported is, I imagine that would vary a little by model. I'm sure they'd support 128GB out of the gate, possibly 256GB. However if you're going to be writing a lot of data frequently you probably should connect an external HD or SSD and write there instead, as SD cards, even high endurance models, have very finite lives.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:48 pm 
Team Towel Guy

@MB:

Thanks for that . . . the idea sounds somewhat "amusing" to fiddle with this basic machine . . . probably would not be a good dnetc cruncher, but might get them done more economically than my MP pulling the electrons . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:18 pm 

Think of it as a phone. They're very power efficient but not very powerful. The Pi 4 is respectable for what it costs but it doesn't cost very much. The entire Pi project was basically to create cheap computers that students could play with in order to learn how computers work and to create projects based around them. To that end they're a great success, since ARM is a very popular CPU they can use that experience in many other areas. And they're a full computer with display and everything so there's instantaneous feedback as you make progress.

I suppose I could try crunching some keys at home but the big issue with Pis is that they're very easy to overheat. The good news is they have thermal throttling built in so it's not a death sentence, it just runs slower. So getting a good benchmark could be a problem. The little 40mm fans included with my initial heatsink/case already started making horrible noise so I replaced them with some 70mm or 80mm USB fans I had lying around for a router cooling project I never got around to implementing (in part because, even with cooling, the router in question isn't powerful enough to run VPN tunnels at realistic speeds).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:44 pm 
Team Towel Guy

@MB:

Thanks again . . . sounds like a "rainy day" project . . . maybe not super practical for today's demanding interweb tasks . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:30 am 

It's a pretty cheap rainy day project though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:36 am 
Team Towel Guy

MonkeyBoy wrote:
It's a pretty cheap rainy day project though.

Yep, it is, but I do have a number of "hobbies" that aren't cheap, like photography &/or motorcycling, both of which are like "black holes" as far as money goes . . . dollars are just voraciously consumed to do anything . . . .

I would probably have to look and see like what are the usefulness aspects to the Pi . . . like does it make coffee or do light house work . . . rake leaves??? I think my buddy set his up for some TV function, but my TV needs are not too sophisticated . . . . The "idea" of a cheap small footprint "computer" is very fun concept in comparo to Apple products . . . but still they should be able to do "something" in today's tech environment????? :snail:

eet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:59 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:26 am 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What? I was trying to be "serious" . . . . :coffee: :upset: :whip: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:fishsmack:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:22 pm 

There are literally a zillion things you can do with a Pi. Just poke around adafruit.com for some of the hardware options. You could have it drive a relay to turn your coffee pot on based on an email coming into a mailbox.

I'm not entirely sure why but I just bought a Pi Zero WH, which comes with WiFi and the GPIO pins soldered on (zeros, unlike most Pis, normally come with the GPIO header unpopulated). $14 on Adafruit. USPS shipping was like $2. I'll probably end up getting one of these things for it, because a supported MicroUSB ethernet adapter doesn't cost much less. There are a billion HAT modules for Pis and they can stack.

If they ever come back in stock Adafruit sold the Pi Zero for $5. They have a normal Pi Zero W for $10. That's what its supposed to cost, the prices on most sites are inflated.

The zero is cheap enough and functional enough that it's displacing a lot of really expensive industrial equipment. The time spent to get it working cost money, but when you're talking six and seven digit replacements you can spend a lot of time on it and still have it pay off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I benched the card at 5.7Bkeys/sec.
That's impressive output MB!

I recently benched a iMac pro with a Vega 56 at 6.3Bkeys/sec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sweet!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:05 pm 

I was feeling underwhelmed by the keyrate but I checked way back in this thread realized my RX480 only did 3.8Bkeys. They're both red devils which typically have a decent stock overclock. Neither one has that nifty red dragon cooler though, where the card stops and the heatsink keeps going so it can blow air straight through. The RX590 is shorter and thicker than my old RX480, the 480 blocked 2 slots, the 590 blocks three. Guess you're not supposed to SLI them!

My hope is that once my new CPU arrives I can leave rc5 crunching on my bedroom pc all winter and provide some much needed warmth. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably have opted for the other bedroom, two exterior walls without a thermostat makes for cold winter temps, the other bedroom just has one exterior wall and it at least shares a wall with the thermostat. Is it November 15th yet?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:22 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sure has cooled off from 90s to freezing here in a hurry, I could use a couple of RX590s! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:25 pm 

The heat here just keeps bouncing from freezing to cold.

Ugh, low of 34 and raining for Halloween with a high of 48. Tomorrow's supposed to have a low of 45 and a high of 47. Today it got up to a balmy 59.

To be honest I'm rather surprised that I don't hear any of the fans in the new PC. The case fans are all 140mm and running 100%, except for the built-in 220mm intake fan and the CPU fans (which are 120mm).

I had my main PC crunching video all last week because the media server would reboot every 30 minutes trying to do it. I actually sweat when I was sat by it for long stretches, the thermostat 10 feet away said it was 90. On the plus side all my old AVIs are now streamable MP4s now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:45 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

cMP dong OGr-2 has raised the temp in my trailer by 10°F., 5770 won't do RC5.:D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next