XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:27 pm 

To the question of "what can a RPi do" I just stumbled across these pages that cover a few broad strokes.

Also, adafruit has the $5 non-WiFi Zeros back in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:01 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
To the question of "what can a RPi do" I just stumbled across these pages that cover a few broad strokes.

Also, adafruit has the $5 non-WiFi Zeros back in stock.

@MB:

Thanks for sharing that . . . kind of funny looking at the female ethernet connection on the board . . . being larger in scale than the rest of the PI . . . . Hadn't looked to heavily at these guys, but I get it now, it's a small motherboard . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:39 am 

Half the fun is figuring things out. I just figured out how to disable audio, which I don't need because it's a headless network server. Now I have WiFi, Bluetooth, and audio turned off. A few watts saved, but I figure it might run a little cooler.

Of course this was me being really stupid because the command loading the audio driver was present and all I had to do was comment it out, but I had to remember where the configuration files were to realize it was there. With WiFi and BT I had to create my own line to disable the modules, whereas audio=on is kind of self-explanatory. :bonk:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:12 am 

@MB:

Yep, the fun is in messing around with stuff . . . and it usually is as the saying goes, "hindsight is 100%" . . . "foresight" is often much "lower" . . . . The PI thing looks amusing, as an educational tool into computer technologies, my high school computer class some 40 years had the IBM punch cards that we had to punch our commands into, with the phone receiver placed into the machine . . . .

My "foresight" at the time was . . . "this will never amount to anything . . ." . . . another prediction that was "slightly off" in my timeline . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:16 pm 

My school system invested heavily in Apple IIs as soon as they came out but I still remember spending a lot of time on the teletype remoted into the school mainframe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
My school system invested heavily in Apple IIs as soon as they came out but I still remember spending a lot of time on the teletype remoted into the school mainframe.

O . . . my . . . :o :? :shock: :confused:

Well, for you it went to a life path . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:23 pm 

Commodore 64s to Raspberry Pis: A Journey
Attachment:
Micro.gif
Micro.gif [ 102.22 KiB | Viewed 390 times ]

Attachment:
Approves.gif
Approves.gif [ 169.9 KiB | Viewed 390 times ]

Edit: Not so fast. I had to cover the data connections for the USB brick adapter to work (the piece at the very bottom, ends in a USB A). Apparently even though my ethernet/usb is a HAT connected to GPIO it still requires usb. w/o the little bridge between the HAT & motherboard installed it wasn't on the network. Rather than mangle the adapter I stuck gaff tape over the data pins. It's meant for interfacing with whatever's attached over USB which is why those pins are connected but pfft I just want power.

Next quest is to find a cover for the GPIO pins because they're very sharp. Haven't drawn blood yet but my fingers are tender.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:37 pm 

So, um, sorry to cut in front of the question line, but this PI is all to power the movements of the biblical character mini-statue?? :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:05 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:09 pm 

That's Buddy Christ, and its supposed to be put on a dashboard but my dash is too sloped to hold anything besides dust.

Wow they're available again. They were out of stock for years.

I found a basic Pi Zero case for $6. Hopefully I can rig it up to not look particularly goofy. Closest I found to a cap/cover for the GPIO pins was a 3d printer file. If I got one I'd have to get more furniture which means shopping and I hate shopping... and a 3D printer costs more than $6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:55 pm 

Very cute . . . we all have our enthusiasms . . . but $25 seems a tad high, esp in comparo to the $3 PI . . . not that there is anything "wrong" with having Christ for a buddy. Agreed that $6 for a case is a very reasonable price.

I didn't understand the "he is painted and ready for action" part of the description, never thought of Christ as an "action figure" type, I guess that's on me . . . and then how does that Buddy connect up to the PI for the "action" part of the figure. :coffee: :confused: :?:

I've lost track of where we were all discussing SSDs . . . just wanted to say again that I am pretty happy with my Samsung EVO 860?? that you guys recommended and that I put in my olde 09 MBP . . . it's pretty zippy . . . . :whip:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:30 pm 

I think it's safe to say that I don't recommend anyone ues Silicon Power SSDs. I've tried 4 SSDs spread across their A (3 drives) and S lines (1 drive) and they're slow and flake out a lot. I'm going to take a look at Crucial MX500 SSDs next, heard good things...

I got mine as part of a promo for the movie dogma, pretty sure I only spent $10 on it. And it came with a Mooby golf visor hat thing. But that was 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:04 pm 

Seems generally that Crucial makes good stuff, although perhaps a little more 'spensive than other options?? I put Crucial RAM in my MBP I believe . . . prolly based upon your rec at the time a few years back.

Yeah, $10 sounds much better for a painted action figure . . . plus extra bonus points for the golf visor hat . . . so it's the 'hat" that connects the PI to the sublime figurine? It's good to cover your 6 as they say; over in motorcycling there is/was the tradition of putting an "action gnome" figure behind the windshield . . . using the concept of a tiny bit of "evil" to ward off the greater evil that might be in front of the rider . . . but a Buddy Christ might work along those lines, projecting peace into the oncoming traffic, etc. :D :!: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:37 pm 

Well Micron MX500 SSDs cost more than WD Blue SSDs, but they have a BX500 line that's down in the Blue price range with about the same performance. The MX500s though are about $10 less than the 860 Evo, at least for 500GB.

RAM is one of those things I don't skimp on. Really confuses some guys at work who a few years ago didn't even know it was possible to upgrade systems after purchase, they think whatever the cheapest part they can find on Amazon is what we should be buying. :roll:

Edit: I can't seem to find a photo in here of my Pi 4, probably because I only have a photo of it on my system here at work. So for size comparison... same size bottle cap...
Attachment:
pihole-tiny.gif
pihole-tiny.gif [ 117.77 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]
Unfortunately those fans are junk.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:53 am 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Closest I found to a cap/cover for the GPIO pins was a 3d printer file. If I got one I'd have to get more furniture which means shopping and I hate shopping... and a 3D printer costs more than $6

You could 3D print your own furniture, yeah?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:18 pm 

The 3D printers in my price range would let me print furniture for mice and hamsters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:52 pm 

A friend broke her leg... doctor wanted a couple of hundred to out a cast on... BUT told her about a place that would 3D print her one. Think it was under 80 bucks AND could be taken on and off.

Last edited by paulc on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 pm 
he who stacks pork

Fall/Winter for me means more GPU crunchers in action than in Spring/Summer. Finally got the itch to put a spare 4GB Radeon RX 580 into my late 5,1 2012 Mac Pro last night (managed it with one hand). Wanting to do the Pixlas Mod and shoehorn two of them into it but unsure about proper airflow when they’re pegged at 100% utilisation. Anyone know if a PCIe Thunderbolt card exists which will allow me to run a few (yes: a few, not a couple) RX 580s externally? A friend of mine who works for a special company writes GPU drivers, he says a Hackintosh built on a 4 PCIe motherboard will be able to handle a Radeon Vega 64 in each slot up to Mojave and Catalina, but I’m getting fed up with the lack of long-term reliability/durability of PC hardware and want to move away from that world.

Thoughts?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:o 8-) :!: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:48 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Fall/Winter for me means more GPU crunchers in action than in Spring/Summer. Finally got the itch to put a spare 4GB Radeon RX 580 into my late 5,1 2012 Mac Pro last night (managed it with one hand). Wanting to do the Pixlas Mod and shoehorn two of them into it but unsure about proper airflow when they’re pegged at 100% utilisation. Anyone know if a PCIe Thunderbolt card exists which will allow me to run a few (yes: a few, not a couple) RX 580s externally? A friend of mine who works for a special company writes GPU drivers, he says a Hackintosh built on a 4 PCIe motherboard will be able to handle a Radeon Vega 64 in each slot up to Mojave and Catalina, but I’m getting fed up with the lack of long-term reliability/durability of PC hardware and want to move away from that world.

Thoughts?

amazing output recently! how is your surgery recovery coming along?

here's a post with a 4 way pci-e splitter thing on a mac pro: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/am ... t-24201730

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:34 am 
he who stacks pork

mc68k wrote:
Leopold Porkstacker wrote:

Thoughts?

amazing output recently! how is your surgery recovery coming along?

here's a post with a 4 way pci-e splitter thing on a mac pro: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/am ... t-24201730

Ahh OK so something does in fact exist. Good to know. I’d surely have to run an external powersupply, and rig up some sort of external chassis to put the GPUs in.

Thanks!

-he who stacks pork

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50