XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:34 pm 

I had attempted to connect six external USB 3.0 drives to the Mac mini by using powered USB hubs. It didn't work as well as I thought it would; the computer just doesn't "see" all the drives for some reason. So, for reliability's sake, I had to connect my two most important drives directly to the mini's USB ports, and two to the hubs, leaving two that won't work unless I disconnect two others.

When I mentioned this to a friend, he said something about creating a network to connect the drives.

If this is correct and feasible, can someone please direct me to where I can learn how to create the network?

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:14 pm 

Not all USB hubs are created equal unfortunately. I spent a nightmarish amount of time finding good USB 1.1 hubs until I settled on some "audio hubs" from Griffin. I've had a lot of problems with 2 hubs but so far I haven't been bitten by 3...

It could also be that your drives exceeded the current provided by the hubs themselves. You could try by plugging in drives one by one until a drive stops showing up, unplug the drive, then eject a previous drive and plug the new drive in its place... it'll probably show up. If that's the problem, the solution is to either get hubs with a larger power supply (not physically, just ones with more amperage, assuming they're the same voltage) or just more hubs... you can daisy chain them (hub into hub).

Networking USB drives is only possible with a second system that you plug the drives into. If the system doesn't have enough ports to connect all the drives you would have to plug them into a hub. At that point you use file sharing to put them on the network and all is right with the world.

Power draw issues are one of the big reasons I refuse to use bus powered drives unless someone comes to me with theirs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Power draw issues are one of the big reasons I refuse to use bus powered drives unless someone comes to me with theirs.

Thanks, MB. I just may buy a power brick for each of the drives and forget bus power.