XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:46 am 

Great link. Thanks. Tried it and it made no change to the 21.0.0.197 I already had, so guess it just installs whatever the current version "21.x...." is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:03 am 

now at 21.0.0.213

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:23 am 

mc68k wrote:
now at 21.0.0.213

Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:49 am 

Firefox 45.2.0 ESR

I'm not getting an alert for this yet. Expect that if I don't install it now, I will later.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... 2.0esr.dmg

And the regular 47 is out also.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... 2047.0.dmg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:06 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Firefox 45.2.0 ESR

I'm not getting an alert for this yet. Expect that if I don't install it now, I will later...

I decided to wait and see if the alert update thing works.
It does and it did.
I got the alert today, June 7, one day after you posted.
Thanks WZZZ, the ESR has worked just fine for Mr H and me.

Assume all is well with the update - and with you all...
;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 am 

Flash 23.0.0.162 is out. As a side note, getting a curious message from Adobe, finalize, just before the install completes. Started with previous update. I've been denying the LS prompt with no adverse affects. No idea what it's supposed to do--probably phone home with some crap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:49 am 

TenFourFox jumped to the 45 branch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:59 pm 

Firefox gets an important update today. Apparently it was possible to deceive it about certificates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:08 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Flash 23.0.0.162 is out. As a side note, getting a curious message from Adobe, finalize, just before the install completes. Started with previous update. I've been denying the LS prompt with no adverse affects. No idea what it's supposed to do--probably phone home with some crap.

I believe it basically checks in with their website to verify you have the latest plugin installed and that you only have a single Flash plugin installed.

/Library and ~/Library are both valid locations for Internet Plug-Ins, some wacky people move their Flash plugin to ~/Library, then install an update, which places the new version in /Library, at which point much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensues about an action they no longer remember performing.

It's only a guess though. But I know it would go away if you let it perform its finalize step once though. Alternately you could remove the task that's launching finalize.

Firefox 49.0 and ESR 45.4.0 are out. After finding it difficult to obtain 45.4.0 through their website, I stumbled across these instructions:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... README.txt

Which basically means you can always (at least until Mozilla changes their mind) get the latest US English ESR for OSX through this URL: https://download.mozilla.org/?product=f ... lang=en-US

Basically as ESRs are released that link will always download the latest version. It can be customized for different languages and OSes by modifying the URL as stated in the text file. Which actually solves the sole problem I've had with ESRs... getting the latest version. Depending on which browser you use to access their download page they serve up different ESRs, like a ridiculously outdated 38.x release.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:55 pm 

One more for patch Tuesday. Apple put out its annual update yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:41 pm 

WZZZ wrote:

When I got that message I could not understand a single thing about it and so clicked on 'Deny'. I'd never seen it before.

When/if it happens again, would I be best allowing the connection? Each time there is an update?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:57 am 

Re. the latest Flash 23.0.0.162: I've been trying to help someone at ASC (I hardly reply over there anymore, but this one caught my eye) was asking what version of Flash could be installed in 10.6.8, as sys requirements at https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ for the 23.0.0.162 show 10.9 and up.

This surprised me, since I had no trouble installing it in my 10.6 or 10.8. Furthermore, it installs and works perfectly on Flash sites. No idea why they are saying for 10.9 and above. Tried installing both from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and from https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html (which doesn't have any warning about sys requirements.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:54 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Likely 10.9 is the lowest they tested it on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:43 am 

Still no issues with v23 on 10.6.8, WZZZ?
I've yet to go to Mavs on my iMac and Mr H's MBP can't go any further than Snow.

The site you showed without the 10.9 warning (that I used to use earlier) still has a shut down warning "This page and the download links will be decommissioned on Sep 29, 2016." Last time they didn't shut down on the date given I recall, what do you think about this time?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:54 am 

Its like when Firefox discontinued PPC support. Even though they no longer distributed a PPC version, the code compiled and ran perfectly fine on PPC systems. A couple versions later it no longer compiled and ran and the guy(s) behind TenFourFox became a godsend.

Right now it works. In a little while it likely will start having issues. OTOH 99.9999% of Flash features aren't used by websites and its just used to play video, so it's possible only the new features won't work... in which case you'll never encounter them.

If they don't make that site inaccessible soon, I'll be renewing my yearly agreement with them for access to the private (Adobe ID required) site before I've actually used it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:17 pm 

Thanks MB for the reply.

I know that even now with Flash I have trouble on Snow. With Flash set at 'ask to activate' and with noscript set for me to have to "allow" flash - sometimes it doesn't work - as in if we need to view a utube (how do we get rid of that ground bee nest in our front lawn???) I have to go through all the motions to set it to play - then I get an error message and then if I do everything again - it works.

I just checked and on my iMac, I have things set so Flash updates automatically.
I don't know if that's a smart idea or not - but it did update to v23 and it does work.

Now here's the big question: is Flash smart enough that it wouldn't update if the version were incompatible???
And if it isn't that smart - should I shut off update automatically (as I have it shut off on Mr H's MBP?)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:24 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I don't know for certain, but I wouldn't count on it being smart enough, I'd disable it, wait & check for reports.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:14 pm 

I doubt Flash is that smart, however it all depends on how smart the guy writing the installer is. If he does his job properly, he will check the system requirements and fail to install if they're insufficient. However installers are typically relegated to junior members of the team, sometimes even unpaid interns, and their work isn't always thoroughly reviewed by the skilled members of the team... which leads to the state of installers today. If the installer puts the files in the right spot, flags the right flags, and doesn't cause problems during testing then it's normally greenlit with just about that much care given.

That being said, if you have regular backups, I would certainly leave Flash updates enabled since it's one of the biggest attack vectors that criminals are using (the other big one being Java, although it's no longer the ignored installation king it once was). Better to have Flash update and break and have to roll back to an older version than have it not update and have your system compromised, requiring you to roll back to that good backup at the very least, but with all the identity theft (and similar fraud) pain after the event.

As for flash not working, you know, I have that exact same problem. I tend to flip Flash over to "always run", reload the site, which then works fine, and once I'm done I flip it back to ask until I hit the next site that's fighting me. Basically I think the problem is copy protection. Sites implement a background flash object that configures copy protection and it has to be run in order to access the video flash widget in the foreground. But because it's in the background, you can't click on it to run it, so until you run all flash objects, you're stuck being unable to access the video.

Basically they're trying to defeat tools that download their video content. As you can see its a cat & mouse game with ever-increasing annoyances for everyone who's not downloading videos. Gotta love the MPAA, RIAA, etc. and their contractual restrictions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:09 pm 

Another 2nd Tuesday, another Flash update. 23.0.0.185 now.

Adobe finally killed off the anonymous download page of the normal installers, now anyone without a current agreement with Adobe can't download those versions. Good thing I work for one (its free to sign up, you just need to distribute it to enough systems to qualify, and "enough" isn't defined publicly so I don't know what their criteria is).

For the most part once you update Flash with a normal installer you can leave Flash in auto-update mode and it'll update silently. Its just for the initial install you want to be free of all that cruft.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot that Adobe Reader was updated today too. 11.0.18 is out as well as god knows whatever weird date+version number they use for Reader DC. :roll: They announced that this update last week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:54 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:

For the most part once you update Flash with a normal installer you can leave Flash in auto-update mode and it'll update silently. Its just for the initial install you want to be free of all that cruft.

Adobe says for Flash syst requirements: "Mac OS X v10.9, or later"
I'm still on Snow - though I do have one MBP on Mavs, the other (Mr H's) is on Snow with me.

What to do?
We hardly ever use Flash, but sometimes...
I assume it's not safe to use the old version and not possible to update - though I think I updated to the version I'm using now (23.0.0.162) even though it also said "Mac OS X v10.9, or later" for system requirements.

I turned off auto-update for this very reason - you suggested in your previous reply to me that flash should be smart enough to know if it can update or not - do you really think this may happen - it won't let me if it won't work???
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:33 pm 

Mrs H
on the page https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ there is 'need Flashplayer for a different computer'
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
where you can select older versions of Windows or Linux or OSX 10.6 - 10.12 for Safari and Firefox

So it is still available for 10.6. I'm inclined to think it is one and the same and 10.6 is now so old, it barely rates a mention.
Even 10.9 is obsolete by Apple's standard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:30 am 

Mrs H wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:

Adobe says for Flash syst requirements: "Mac OS X v10.9, or later"
I'm still on Snow - though I do have one MBP on Mavs, the other (Mr H's) is on Snow with me.

What to do?
We hardly ever use Flash, but sometimes...
I assume it's not safe to use the old version and not possible to update - though I think I updated to the version I'm using now (23.0.0.162) even though it also said "Mac OS X v10.9, or later" for system requirements.

I turned off auto-update for this very reason - you suggested in your previous reply to me that flash should be smart enough to know if it can update or not - do you really think this may happen - it won't let me if it won't work???
Thanks!

We already talked about this. See a few posts above, viewtopic.php?f=6&p=102826#p102815

I have the latest 23.0.0.185 on both my 10.8 and 10.6. Just tested on speedtest.net and it's working there. Can't be bothered to test it on YouTube right now, since Firefox automatically uses HTML5, but for the version just previous, which also required minimum 10.9, I temporarily installed an addon that allows one to switch between Flash and HTML5 and Flash worked OK there. I intend to keep updating it on both those OSs, until it just won't install or won't work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:04 pm 

roam wrote:
Mrs H
on the page https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ there is 'need Flashplayer for a different computer'
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
where you can select older versions of Windows or Linux or OSX 10.6 - 10.12 for Safari and Firefox

So it is still available for 10.6. I'm inclined to think it is one and the same and 10.6 is now so old, it barely rates a mention.
Even 10.9 is obsolete by Apple's standard.

Thanks roam, I forgot that WZZZ already taught me that.
Trouble is, as you say, it only shows 10.9 as being OK - though it offers 10.6-10.12.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:08 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
We already talked about this. See a few posts above, viewtopic.php?f=6&p=102826#p102815

I have the latest 23.0.0.185 on both my 10.8 and 10.6. Just tested on speedtest.net and it's working there. Can't be bothered to test it on YouTube right now, since Firefox automatically uses HTML5, but for the version just previous, which also required minimum 10.9, I temporarily installed an addon that allows one to switch between Flash and HTML5 and Flash worked OK there. I intend to keep updating it on both those OSs, until it just won't install or won't work.

Thanks WZZZ - and you are right we did talk about this.
But that was about an earlier version - I didn't know if the rules had changed. Just being over cautious, typical...

Interestingly, I have 23.0.0.162 and Add-ons Mgr tells me no updates available; though Flash Check for Updates, by way of syst prefs, says an update is available as I knew there was from this thread.
Just downloaded the thing and getting ready to install.
Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:06 pm 

Flash 23.0.0.205 is out.

It appears anonymous downloads are still allowed, just the site that lists links to the files is protected. So if one were to, say, modify the link Anonymous posted back on March 30th to grab 23 instead of 21, it should pull down the latest.

I expect them to close this loophole soon but for now its still working.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next