XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:14 am 

Flash 24.0.0.221 is out.

Oh, and... cough.

I find living without Flash is much easier if it's not installed at all. If the Flash plugin is present but simply disabled many websites will still try to use it. Without it present some/most sites will default to HTML5.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:31 pm 

Flash is up to 25.0.0.127.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 pm 

Flash is marching ever onward to 25.0.0.148. Adobe Reader is up to 11.0.20... plus whatever goddamn foolish updated-weekly number Reader DC uses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 pm 
he who stacks pork

Meanwhile, it’s great to see :roll: that Adobe’s development team is based solely in India. Film at eleven.

Now… what exactly is going on in San Jose, CA headquarters? Just a bunch of sleazy-ass sales people or what?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:25 am 

Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2 ... pdate.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:15 pm 
Master

Adobe should reignite some interest in Flash Player by selling tickets to a big event where everyone gets a cup of gasoline to throw on a giant hideous effigy of it, with one lucky winner lighting the dynamite. They could make it an annual tradition, lest we forget.

Anonymous wrote:
The days of Flash are numbered. I give it about one more year before it's officially EOL'd.

I wrote that in October of 2015, so I was off by 10 months.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 am 

I will eventually have an argument with coworkers over why Flash isn't included on new systems despite it being EOL.

I had similar discussions with them about Java and other plugins. That plugins are no longer supported by almost anyone with the exception of Flash made that point moot, since their outdated plugins stopped being a problem. Hopefully with the end of Flash comes the end of NPAPI/PPAPI for similar peace of mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 am 

MB, are not most/all of Android apps written in Java. I want to write a simple phone home to my ISP from my Android phone and using Java seems to be the singular means to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:31 pm 

Java as a programming environment is perfectly reasonable, and its used all over the place especially server-side - it was the Java browser plugin that was a nightmare. The death of plugins made a few crusty folks lament the old days, even though absolutely nothing changed because nobody uses Java in a web browser anymore (undestand that jsp isn't java in a web browser, the java happens server side and isn't exposed to the client).

The sole thing I personally have to worry about are some &*(@#&*(# HP printers and switches that are managed using Java in a web browser. The printers there's no hope for but I suspect a firmware update may cure the switch... though first I need a switch to fall back to if it blows up...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:30 pm 

Thanks for that clarification. I didn't appreciate the difference between server side and client written code until now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Mrs H: with Firefox you no longer need Flash for YouTube. Almost everything there now plays with HTML 5. In fact,unless you have an addon that can specifically allow Flash, it's impossible to use Flash there.

It's been ages since we watched any sort of video or any thing else online - and I mean ages.
WZZZ told me this about a year ago.
Now that we are in El Cap I figured it's time to figure out how to get to HTML 5 in Firefox.
I've long since ditched Flash and have never looked back - just haven't looked at videos either (Mr H occasionally asks when I'm going to sort out how we can...)

How do we get to HTML 5 in Ff and how do we get to use it on YouTube?
(We still have the very old settings in NoScript that WZZZ helped me set up for allowing things or not - and nothing that requires Flash gets accessed by either of us.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:05 pm 

You don't have to do anything for HTML5, it's already there in FF. For youtube and noscript, at least from my experouence, you might find it necessary to click several times on the video to get it to play in order to dismiss error messages.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:24 pm 

Thanks WZZZ for getting back so speedily.

WZZZ wrote:
You don't have to do anything for HTML5, it's already there in FF. For youtube and noscript, at least from my experouence, you might find it necessary to click several times on the video to get it to play in order to dismiss error messages.

Did you delete Flash or do you have it still set up as you taught me, "ask to activate" ?

I really can't get those youtubes to play - none.
It would be interesting to know how. I looked up youtube and firefox and websites were trying to get me to download an add-on but I was pretty sure you said that wasn't necessary - and then I found your old note, quoted above.

I click the video and get this image:
Attachment:
youtube error.jpg [87.23 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

if I click learn more I get this:
Attachment:
no script message - learn more....jpg
no script message - learn more....jpg [ 29.1 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

I'm trying to see a video of a former student, now an opera diva. It's not the end of the earth if I can't but I should be able to, shouldn't I?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:27 pm 

I don't know why my first image needs to be clicked, but it's there.

After clicking the second image and clicking OK, several times, I sometimes get a black image with a white spinning cog wheel kind of circle which goes for a while and then reverts to error.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:37 pm 

I've completely uinstalled flash. Main library internet plugins. for youtube, I might have to click up to three times, to dismiss recurring "errors." You might also find it worthwhile to play around in NS with allowing blocked objects.

Note: Writing from ipad. not much patience to capitalize, correct typos, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:56 pm 

How do you uninstall Flash? (stupid question, I know...)

I have it disabled now on Firefox but if I go to Safari (or Chrome) I'm sure it'll still be there.

I have an old download - uninstall flashplayer osx - but it's dated 2010 - so I suspect it is a non-starter.
Pretty sure I got it here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb ... ac-os.html

Is that the way to do it?

[btw - I really value your wisdom and help. Have you had a chance to look at any of my other very basic el cap questions? I am anxiously waiting for my missing manual ($4.02! from better world books) to arrive in my mailbox.]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:20 pm 

In /Library/Internet Plugins, move to trash anything Flash, 2 items: flashplayer.xpt, Flash Player.plugin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 pm 

That's it? No need to bother with the uninstall thing on the link?

Done!
Thanks, WZZZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:36 pm 

Thank you WZZZ!
I trashed flashplayer.xpt, Flash Player.plugin as you said.
And then tried youtube again - and there she is - my student singing Tacea la notte from "Il Trovatore"
Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:40 am 

Interesting. YouTube has begun switching people over to the HTML5 player whether they want it or not, its rare to see it default to the Flash version of the site.

At work I can have Flash enabled and fully functional and it'll put me in the HTML5 version. Even the add-ons I had used to flip between HTML5 & Flash stopped working.

The HTML5 version of YouTube tends to be a lot more CPU intensive than the Flash version. Progress at any price I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:07 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
Thank you WZZZ!
I trashed flashplayer.xpt, Flash Player.plugin as you said.

Interestingly enough - or puzzling?
In system prefs, on the bottom line, there is the flash logo.
When I clicked on it, this was the first item that showed up:
Attachment:
Flash in syst pref settings.jpg [102.88 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

So - what did I miss?
Is it still somewhere?
And should I do something to the prefs that would make flash less accessible to vulnerabilities if it IS somewhere and I just can't find it. I assume ditching what WZZZ helped me ditch did it for Safari as well.

Is Chrome the culprit?
But I don't have Chrome installed, though when I searched for chrome, there were folders called chrome - they are in the profiles folders I've saved of the last 3 versions of Firefox profiles. Huh???

When we went to Youtube, we could watch a video but it wasn't via flash.

When Mr H clicked on a video on BBC(?or some other news site?) - he was told he needed to install Flash player to watch it. Same with Amazon. So, it's not installed here, but then, what's going on with system prefs?

I'm confused (what's new?) :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:18 pm 

Go to the Updates tab. This is what you should be seeing. If you trashed those two, Flash is history, toast, gone, kaput on your computer.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 5.17.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 5.17.23 PM.png [ 64.09 KiB | Viewed 205 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Go to the Updates tab. This is what you should be seeing. If you trashed those two, Flash is history, toast, gone, kaput on your computer.

Perfect!
My updates tab matches yours exactly.

Do I care about the other items - like those in my screen shot - NOPE! not if it is trashed, toasted, and kaputed.
I do wonder why it still shows up in syst prefs, but I have more important things to wonder about than Flash!

As ever, WZZZ, thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:09 pm 

Flash the plugin is separate from the system preference. You would need to find the Flash system preference and trash it separately. I'm not on a Mac now and a little woozy from illness so I'm not entirely sure where in /Library it lives.

Before you trash it though I would check what it says under Update in the Flash system preference. If it's set to auto-update you should turn that off ("Never check for updates"), otherwise Adobe may periodically ask if you want to reinstall Flash when an update comes out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 am 

Flash player in System Preferences lives at /Library/PreferencePanes. If it's not set to auto update, completely unnecessary, but if you like easy enough to just move it to the Trash.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 10.26.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 10.26.13 AM.png [ 31.96 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next