XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 pm 

Hi all,

I'm afraid the last no name USB3 hub from China is crapping out. Logitech gaming keyboard (read the cheapest mechanical keyboard here) did not work with my Chinese USB3 hub at all, and now I'm having troubles with the hub and Logitech Unifying transmitter. Any suggestions what to get for a hub for usb3, usb3.1 and maybe usbC? At this moment I only need usb3. I can find a lot of crappy usbC hubs, but have no clue. The Taichi Z270 has one usbC connector at the backplate. I would not need anything else than USB3 devices at this moment, but not sure if usbc would equal to anything useful. This is a desktop, I could imagine the usbC would be usewful in my Dell laptop. All I see is a crapload of useless features for a desktop, is there a decent usb hub for plain usb decives?

Another question, do all usb 3.x stuff work trough the usbC connection as default?

In practice I have problems with the mouse and keyboard connections, that should be illegal in the year of 2019! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:37 pm 

Well, if the device you're going to plug it into supports USB-C and supplies a lot of current to that USB-C port, it can allow you to skip buying a power supply. Basically the upstream port from the hub, if you're plugging it into a USB-C system and it'll supply USB-C power on that port then you probably don't need a power brick. Obviously anything downstream probably will expect to draw power from the hub and not supply power, though USB-C allows wacky push power configurations, I don't think their products are that wacky.

Personally I bought one of these and it's worked fine the few times I've used it, although if you're going to use bus powered portable hard drives you probably should get a power brick for it. I use it with a router that I periodically attach a hard drive to, though the HD isn't bus powered. Orico though is kind of hit or miss in terms of reliability.

If you look at that page you can see four USB 3 hubs in that product family, the first and the last that look identical except one's $2 cheaper and I haven't yet figured out what the extra $2 on my link gives you. I don't recall mine coming with a power supply but maybe that's it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm 

Since I have some memory cards (camera, dash camera) I decided to try this one:

http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=4778

I realised I need USB in my desk just for keyboard, wireless Logitech dongle and yet another one to charge the mouse (which I do overnight, so might as well connect it to the PC). By the way this 'FONKEN Micro USB Cable Quick Charger Magnetic Cable 1m 2m Magnet Fast Charging Wire Android Mobile Phone Tablet LED Data Cord' is great for MX Master 2S, thanks to the magnetic adapter one can plug the wire both ways and there is no (always) tedious finding the female connector stage. Not sure if I would want one to my phone, but with this mouse it is great.

http://fonken.net/product/55-en.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:23 pm 

Cancelled the order, as I recalled that I was not sure about the causes of those mishaps related to the USB 3 hub. I moved the hub's USB 3 cable from 3.1 port to USB 3 port. Should not made any difference, but now stuff works again. Bought a Logitech tactile keyboard this spring, and it did not work at all in Windows, even though it was fine in Ubuntu. Connecting the keyboard directly to PC made all problems disappear. Have had intermittent problems also with the Logitech universal receiver, but at this moment both of them work fine with the old 3.0 hub. Might be some other voodoo instead of the hub itself.

I actually wanted to buy USB Type-C hub, but could not find 3m long (10 feet) Type-C extension cables locally, so no can do.

My Taichi Z270 has one USB 3.1 Type-C Port (10 Gb/s) in the Rear Panel (ASMedia ASM2142), so I guess it could power up those USB 3/3.1 devices through a USB Type-C hub? Not that I would need the power to anything else than charging the mouse.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 pm 

As a general rule you don't want USB 3.x extension cables because the extension acts as an antenna and broadcasts noise throughout the entire 2.4 and 5ghz ranges, which destroys wifi. Best to buy whatever you want with a long enough cable to reach.

The problem for me is that all the reasonably long quality USB 3.0 cables have vanished, and I need more than the 9 feet (have to snake them through cable management arms then through the rack to a shelf).

I can get a thinner gauge cable that's longer but that makes no goddamn sense because longer cables require thicker conductors, not thinner ones, which leads me to believe these thinner longer cables are going to end up with connection issues (if not out of the box then eventually).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:20 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Those cables look great, I just bought USB2 version of these, they are industrial or Militay grade...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DWQSD7

6' longest, USB2 had a 10 foot one in the pack.

These look good & have a10' one in the pack...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F83GXGD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:42 pm 

Hm, I have had problems with the Bluetooth reception range of the Z270 Taichi, does it affect that too? Then I need a USB 3.x with 3m chord.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:32 am 

It should be noted that Logitech's mechanical keyboards, especially those with backlights, use way more current than any hub can reliably provide even with a wall wart. You should never plug anything Logitech into a hub. Ever.

At least your keyboard isn't like my G710+ that I can't use because its dual USB plugs suck power through the ports in a manner that crashes my system repeatedly. Sucks too considering I paid $150 for it at the time. Went back to my G11 from like 14 years ago. Somehow it's still working. Would kill for a G11 in mechanical keyboard form...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:14 am 

For some reason this Logitech G610 keyboard has always worked fine with the Chinese no name hub in Linux. It did not work originally in Windows 10 for longer than about 2 minutes, dunno why. Unplugging and plugging in again helped for the next 2 minutes, with or without Logitech's Gaming software. Now it has been working fine for a couple of days. I have to note that they sold this 7 port hub as high quality product with it's own power source and 2 fast charging USB sockets. But hey I have never understood how Windows works with USB devices, it seems to want to see them in the same place as before? I don't have any USB 2 ports.

This looks exactly like the next revision of my hub, same case but it has 2 additional ports and the fast charging ports have been moved towards the back, and now there is also a power button:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Speed-USB3-0-7-Port-Hub-w-2-port-charging-UK-JT1/303282338021?hash=item469d0938e5:g:JdoAAOSw9NJdefQ-

I blame Windows after all, since it is funnier! :lol:

PS. sorry about the picture size, direct copy from Ebay, probably close to 1:1 size. Looks fine in 4K display. :roll:

Edit: Z270 Taichi manual states that 'Intel® new processors have removed removed their support for the Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI – USB2.0) and only kept the eXtensible Host Controller Interface (XHCI – USB3.0).' I probably have installed the ASRock 'USB 3.0 drivers' only later after buying the keyboard, that would probably explain a lot? I switched from 2.5" SDD to IDE M.2 2 months after buying the keyboard, and hence had to reinstall all the drivers. In that case I blame ASSRock, as their update application should have done that during each install. :whip:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am 

Just a note for anyone looking for a comfortable mouse chord, I bough a FONKEN magnetic USB chord originally for the doorbell assembly, but did not need it after all. Now I use it with my rechargeable mouse, and it's great! The magnetic connection is also great in it's own way for older eyes, but this is the first mouse cable that I can't feel at all when connected and moving the mouse. The chords that come with Logitech mice are really restrictive and stiff, but I can't feel this cable at all. It's is a thin braided cable. 1 m cable was $3,5, (with the magnetic adapter included) and it feels like there is no cable while charging the mouse! Might even return to use chorded mouses solely because of the existence of this types of cables. Or start to use my otherwise great G700s Logitech gaming mouse again, that needs recharging every another day in my intensive use while working (I use my main computer about 50/60 hours per week). Best thing I have bough accidentally for ages (Except finding oriental food). :D One of cource needs a mouse that has a removable cable, so that might limit it's use in wired mouses. And hey, it has non-blinking LED! That is extraordinary here.

The product is designed for mobile devices, and I will try one with my phone too. Not sure if the magnetic adapter is a too big 'wall wart' (a few millimetres) in the phone, I'll find it out when the package comes from China. It might just be small enough to be unnoticeable when one has a phone cover, dunno yet.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/fonken-micro-usb-cable-quick-charger-magnetic-cable-1m-2m-magnet-fast-charging-wire-android-mobile-phone-tablet-led-data-cord-i333352427-s644110824.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:49 pm 

What is 114 (can't make the currency symbol with my keyboard, looks like a B with a vertical slash through it). Hmmm, google tells me it the Baht, and that's about $3.76, pretty cheap. BUT by far my favorite about that listing is this image:

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 4.43.14 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 4.43.14 PM.jpg [ 30.38 KiB | Viewed 51 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:31 pm 

Apple takes magsafe away, third parties bring it back. Apple angrily stamps its feet because some people won't be trashing laptops as often.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 pm 

Yes the Thai baht symbol ฿ looks much like Bitcoin :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_baht

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol