XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 am 

I still have my old 7500 and the 17" Apple screen. Thinking about firing it up just to see what is on it before it goes to the trash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quadra 630 here, still runs, but have many earlier computers that weren't Macs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm 

I had a IIci in the basement until a year ago when I finally decided it was taking up too much room and hadn't been started in 15 years. Recycled it plus a bunch of cards and probably a drive or two. My first Mac was a IIcx but I was introduced to Macs on a SE (yes, the original SE -- Apple is getting lazy about naming things and it is confusing me). I do have a supposedly working G3 beige in the basement, a G4 notebook. My Quicksilver is purring away on the floor of my room, and of course my early 2008 iMac with too little RAM (4 GB), broken display and booted off an external drive over USB2 which is my main computer right now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 pm 

The first computers I used were macs, and soon after I bought a secondhand Macintosh Classic which I used for a few years and then sold. Late last year I had a big clean out and tossed out all the 3.5" disks I had including the System 7 OS disks that ran on that first computer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm 

The first Apple computer I personally owned was a PowerMac 6100/66 though the first Mac I used was a either an original Macintosh or the Fat Mac (512K).

Took a journalism course in high school where I used this crazy photo typesetter that you entered up to a paragraph of text and format it so it fit into a particular spot and then hit print. It exposed the text onto film, developed it, and a short time later spit it out in all its smelly glory. Compared to that the Mac was a lot less fragrant, though I wasn't particularly keen on swapping disks every 15 seconds, and to get anything better than a dot matrix printer you had to hand it off to a teacher so they could take it somewhere to have it printed on what I later learned was a laser printer.

The first Mac I was able to drag home from work periodically on "vacation" was a IIsi (that I bumped from 20Mhz to 25Mhz with a clock crystal, some passive heatsinks, and thermal epoxy).

The first Apple computer I used was either an Apple II or an Apple II+. Probably the former. My K12 system invested heavily in Apple hardware, and early. They had some of the first IIe systems sold to K12 schools.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 pm 
Master

My own first Apple computer was hand-me-down II+, but the family had an Apple IIe well before then. My First Mac was a hand-me-down Mac Plus. I don't have either anymore because the II+ died and I sold the Mac Plus 1994.

Interestingly, I was working as a tech in a Mac store in 1996 and that year someone brought a Mac Plus in for repair, and promptly abandoned it. I think the cost to repair it was more than it was worth, and the person didn't want to spend the diagnostics fee to pick up a dead computer. Since it was abandoned, I took it home and fixed it, then kept it for another eight years. I finally got rid of it when I had to move out of my apartment on a very hasty timetable and simply didn't have room in the car to take it with me. I wish I still had it.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:33 pm 

I honestly wish I still had my PM 7500 (in an 8500 chassis). I want to play Cobra Gunship so badly, but games just stutter like mad in Sheepshaver. Especially Ferazel's Wand, which Shitbrosia Software never ported to OS X.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Interestingly, I was working as a tech in a Mac store in 1996 and that year someone brought a Mac Plus in for repair, and promptly abandoned it. I think the cost to repair it was more than it was worth, and the person didn't want to spend the diagnostics fee to pick up a dead computer. Since it was abandoned, I took it home and fixed it, then kept it for another eight years. I finally got rid of it when I had to move out of my apartment on a very hasty timetable and simply didn't have room in the car to take it with me. I wish I still had it.

- Anonymous
My first "real" job after moving out of the house and halfway across the country was, in part, replacing the analog boards of Mac/FatMac/Plus that had been baked to death. I pulled them out, handed them off to a guy who actually did the repair work, then installed a previously-repaired one in its place. All to keep the company running. After a while we ran out of parts to repair analog boards and the fanless units became slow enough to not be worth keeping working.

Though I do miss Daniel Boone. He was a Mac Plus with a 68020 processor, handed out to developers during Mac II development. I shoulda looked out for him. Last I saw him he was in a dark corner of the warehouse before it was shut down, after which everything product-related got packed up and shipped off to the new outsourced warehouse... but where did all the old hardware, left over from decades of software development for every platform under the sun, go? All kinds of prototypes.... Macs, Amigas, MSXs, consoles, development kits, even proprietary pre-standard CD-R burners... I'm pretty sure it all ended up in the dumpster. I had my hands full getting the IT infrastructure online at the new building. Poor Daniel, he deserved better. To my knowledge he was still fully working when he was put on that shelf, we just didn't need him to run the floppy duplicator anymore, since it was cheaper to pay someone to duplicate them for us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 am 

Macintosh SE with dual floppy drive. And a year later an external 40 MB hard drive. Fan was quite loud, but it was my first computer. Way too late, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 pm 

My first computer was a Performa 630CD around 1995. This was our family computer. My sister and I used ClarisWorks a lot to do our school work; we also played Wacky Jacks, recorded and manipulated sounds with sound edit 16, and used a crude Photoshop like program called Flying Colors. My Dad and I liked flight sims with the joystick Gravis Mac MouseStick II: A-10 Attack!, Hellcats over the Pacific/Leyte Gulf, Falcon (F-16 game), and F/A-18 Hornet. My Mom and I would play Chessmaster 3000. I played a lot of games on it: Doom II, Star Wars:X-wing, Spectre, Pac-in-time, Spin Doctor, After Dark Lunatic Fringe, Glider, Tetris, and Marathon.

The computer also got me into sysadmin type stuff. I used ResEdit a lot. I used to break it and my dad would make me call 1-800-SOS-APPL. Eventually I could do what they told me without calling them. I actually wanted to do a similar type of job when I grew up, and I did! My Junior High, high school, and university all used macs. I got to expand a lot of what I learned through sneakernetting software back to the house and later using the internet to get software.

My parents spent a lot of money on the performa they probably didn't have! I fired it up not too long ago and it worked, but it sounded like the hard drive was going out.

Have you guys tried these type of IDE to CF adapters with old macs as a hard drive replacement? http://a.co/bREhaqI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 pm 
he who stacks pork

The first Apple computer in my household was a Macintosh 128K back in early 1984. The first Apple computer I ever used was an Apple ][ back in gradeschool, around 1979 or 1980.

I still have a Mac Plus connected to a DataFrame 20MB external hard drive (still boots up!!!) that my dad and I upgraded back in 1986.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 am 

Mine was a Mac II running system 6 and had Aldus PageMaker on it. Just one disk drive though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 pm 

MacPlus - model M0001A - 1986! Still have it sitting in the corner - too cute to throw away - but it stopped working a few years ago. It needed a separate HD which we have since recycled.

Then we got a PowerBook 170 - 1991. Mr H still uses every morning runs system 7.5 I think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:56 pm 
Master

I loved the PowerBook 170. It was brittle, as in the case (especially the motherboard screw anchors) was prone to breaking when handled roughly, but the screen, battery, performance, trackball, expansion, and were spectacular for the time. The interconnect boards between the motherboard and display were also prone to failure, and expensive to replace. The 1-bit active-matrix display was wonderful because you could use it without a backlight in good lighting. There were a at least two LCD panels for them: the one to have was the one with pixels that were transparent when not active (like the active-matrix displays I remember on the Mac Portable). The other screen was black when the power was off, but would turn clear when a pixel was selected. (I figure the difference was probably down to the orientation of one of the polarizing layers plus a controller on the panel itself that swapped the meaning of 1 and 0 for selected pixels.) The first screen was better because it was easier to use without the backlight.

With the backlight turned off, and a battery in good condition, you could literally run the computer for seven to nine hours without external power, and use it almost the entire time. My 2015 13" MacBook Pro can almost manage that runtime. Almost.

The Mac Plus was pretty finicky about external SCSI hard drives. I think it would be difficult to find a drive today that would work with it. You probably could, however, fix the computer itself without too much trouble. The only thing that ever seemed to fail on them was the analog board and floppy drive. The analog board wasn't as robustly designed as it should have been, but it's also pretty easy to repair if you're handy with a soldering iron and have basic knowledge of electronics and aren't afraid of CRTs (which are actually kind of scary).

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 pm 

Well, I was an Atari guy so I didn't bite the bullet on my own Mac until Atari went belly up. I got a 8600/250 Power Mac. I got it because Power Computing went out of business about 7 days after I got my Power Tower Pro. Fortunately I sent it back for full refund and got the 8600 instead. I upgraded that 8600/250 with an XLR8 Mach Speed G3. That was a fun time in computing!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:38 pm 

Man, Apple hated CPU upgrade cards.

I remember my Newer Tech G3 card, the only one which didn't need patching software to avoid that low level issue that affected devices (everyone else to implemented a software workaround for it rather than use hardware). Only problem is Newer's inherently simpler software tended to eat itself after a while (leading to the software being completely disabled, which I think disabled the L2 cache), so I ended up using XLR8's software because it allowed you to disable the workaround. And didn't eat itself every 6-9 months.

Good times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:21 pm 

My first Apple computer was my first computer. I'd been using Macintosh SEs at work (we converted our art department and typesetting) since 1987. On December 15, 1989, I bought my own Mac SE: 68000 processor, one 20MB HD, one floppy drive, 2MB RAM and "System 5" OS: $3000.

In addition to transitioning me from analog to digital audio recording and editing, the SE also helped me quit smoking. So excited to own the Mac, I'd light up a cigarette, take a few puffs and then put it down in the ashtray to focus my attention on the computer, and then I'd forget about the cigarette. After about two weeks or so, I realized I was buying twice as many cigarettes as I was actually smoking. Right about that same time is when the first nicotine patches hit the market. A new clinic opened directly across the street. They started me on the patch and, in less than a month, I was done smoking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Well, I was an Atari guy so I didn't bite the bullet on my own Mac until Atari went belly up.
Same here, only went with Macs because of MagicMac that ran Atari emulation on Macs better than MagicPC rn on PCs. :)