XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:35 am 

I was using my iPad 2 this morning, and then put it to sleep and set it down to have lunch. When I attempted to wake the iPad up, the display comes up normally (showing the clock, etc.) but iPad would not unlock. I powered down, then up and tried it again, with no luck. Then did the reset process. Still no change. It's never been dropped or had anything spilled on it, so I'm puzzled.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am 

Was that one of the slide to unlock ones? Was it the full boot (press home and turnoff button for a LONG while, with the logo then appearing and it seeming to take forever to really boot)? Did you have it backed up?

I have recently had occasion to want to talk to someone @thefruit... you DO have to fidget around on the support site, but eventually I got a screen where they promised a call back, and in less than 5 mins I got one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:26 am 
Benevolent Dictator

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen...

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up
If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
While your device is connected, follow these steps:
iPad models with Face ID: Press and hold the Top button and either volume button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Connect your device to your computer while holding the Top button. Keep holding the Top button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
iPhone 8 or later: Press and hold the Side button and one of the volume buttons until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Connect your device to your computer while holding the Side button. Keep holding the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold the Side (or Top) button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Connect your device to your computer while holding the Volume Down button. Keep holding the Volume Down button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold the Side (or Top) button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Connect your device to your computer while holding the Home button. Keep holding the Home button until you see the recovery-mode screen.

When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 am 

At one point after making my initial post, I was told (by a screen notification) that iPad needed to be updated. The process began and then stopped, saying it could not complete. It suggested shutting the computer down, plugging the iPad directly into a USB port on the computer itself and then trying again. After doing that, it was revealed, when iPad unlocked completely by accident, that iPad iOS was now up to date. But, since that time, iPad refuses to unlock again. The screen will slide a little, but not all the way.

Is the camera (or any other) icon supposed to be visible on the lock screen (where the clock is shown)? I can't imagine why it's there; I rarely use the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:11 pm 

How bizarre. When iPad suddenly unlocked and, clicking Settings revealed that the iOS had been updated, I assumed the process was complete and disconnected iPad from and restarted the Mac mini. But I then discovered that iPad was still not unlocking. So I just went through the entire update process again and, this time, a progress bar appeared on iPad, as well as one in iTunes on the Mac mini. This time, I was actually notified that the process had completed, and now everything seems to be fine.

Although, I still don't understand why the Camera icon (and none others) are on iPad's lock screen.

Thanks, as always, for the quick responses to my calls for help. It is much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:17 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

WHEW... good work. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:15 pm 

The camera icon is there so you can have instant access to take picture with the device without having to unlock it. I don't understand it but then again I almost never take pictures. I guess some people are so impatient to take their selfie that they can't wait to unlock their device, they have to take the photo NOW.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Some people have to check often to see if they're if they're still alive... needs confirmation from others though.