XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Seems the holdup must've been on pickup by the date??

Phone doesn't power ON, charging battery now, but you'd think it would come charged!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 pm 

Fingers crossed.

Some phones come pre-charged and others have a partial charge. With this brand I don't know what the norm is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, I think it was partially charged & the ON button needs to be help a few seconds to work.

Hmm, today is the 15th... there was no construction vehicle around here yesterday/// I think maybe the driver needed mor overtime.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:45 pm 

Ever since all those fires in planes they've started shipping batteries with less charge in them. A fully charged battery is basically a bomb, all it needs is the right impact and it can catch on fire or explode.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:30 am 

How's that phone?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, the phone is bit disappointing, I can't hear it ring & can't hear the other end unless I click on the speaker & hold the phone backwards to my ear. On the good side, it does have a flashlight, clock, & a little external LED tht flashes when ringing or missed calls.

Still no reply to my 2 emails from Customer Service, though they have sent me directions on how to Auto Py.

Maybe there's someway to hook n amplified speaker to the hearing aid port or whatever it is?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28 am 

Difficult to make a recommendation. I know that your hearing loss is pretty substantial, but don't know just how severe, and if anything is going to help. That said, I did a search and came up with https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Speaker ... JRRFTZ2K2K

Gets pretty decent reviews and an A rating from Fakespot, which analyzes the trustworthiness of Amazon reviews.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/wirele ... uter-white

At $17.89 plus shipping (if you don't sign up for the free Prime trial, which you can use without being charged for 30 days), it might be worth a try. Connects via the headphone jack.

A lot of reviews to look through, but reading them all might give an idea if it's going to work for you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Interesting, thanks W! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 pm 

I think the jack on the jitterbug is a headset jack and not a headphone jack. Headset jacks are 2.5mm while headphone jacks are 3.5mm. Easy way to check if you have headphone (or external speakers) is to try and plug them into the phone - if it doesn't fit then it's a 2.5mm headset jack.

The reason they're different sizes is because the headset jack is both a speaker and a microphone jack, while the headphone jack is just stereo output. (there's a slightly longer 3.5mm jack on some iDevices that has one more ring connector, so you can get stereo output and mic input, in Apple's quest for infinite accessory dollars it's been omitted from the last few models)

I poked around a little just now and didn't turn up anything useful about loud cellular headsets. I stumbled across this guy who's trying to sell you everything Plantronics:
https://www.headsetsdirect.com/headsets ... g-headsets

And while I think there might be something useful in having a standalone headset amp to make the headset louder, that's not going to be mobile, and the guy's discussing in in combination with an office phone. I suspect there may be a frankenstein combination of cables and adapters that could make it work, though that's just a guess, and it could still end up not being loud enough.

I wonder if there might be something bluetooth intended for use in the shower that could work? My tiny little bluetooth shower speaker gets quite loud and I imagine if you spent more (mine was only $12) it could get louder still, and I know they have units with microphones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, the hole didn't look 3.5mm, so I didn't order that one, I have no headset or speakers other than 50 year old ones.

I'd like something that I didn't need to wear for it to be useful, so maybe Bluetooth is the answer.:)