XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: iPod Classic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:59 am 

I find that along with the departure of house guests after Christmas I am without the Power Adapter that I liked to use to charge up my iPod Classic. I'm sure it was 5W as shown here. I bought mine over four years ago and can't remember exactly the spec for it. This is a UK plug, hence the clunky look.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/M ... er-adapter

The thoughtfully provided compatibility list doesn't include any iPod Classics, but that might not mean they're incompatible, just that Apple ignores such older kit.
Does anyone have an iPod Classic along with a USB power adapter so I can confirm that this is the correct power?

Post subject: Re: iPod Classic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:20 am 

Looking at 30 pin adapter right now: "10W USB Power Adapter" Output: 5.1V/2.1A Still using it to charge older iPod and iPad2.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 pm 

Yes. That would be a 10W adapter. I still need to know if that's too much. I can't remember if it's 5W or what.

What model is your iPod, WZZZ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:27 pm 

I have an old iPod classic 160GB.
The USB power adapter charger is a small square thing with a USB plug in like the one you show in the link except it has US plug and the plugs are foldable.

It says on it (in tiny grey print) 50-60 Hz Output 5V ====10A
The .pdf user guide says you can also plug the USB cable into a computer to charge iPod.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mrs H on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:29 pm 

Generally the adapter negotiates with the device to determine how much wattage to send down to it. An Apple 12W adapter doesn't appreciably charge a 5W device faster, however it may have trouble with the negotiation if the adapter is substantially newer than the device (adapters tend to only work backwards so far).

How old of an iPod are we talking here? Did it come with a USB cable or a Firewire cable? Did the adapter you lost have a USB or Firewire plug?

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:30 pm 

Just checked my 2008 invoice for the part number for the charger:

APPM9837/n: Apple iPod USB Power Adapter

On the charger itself it says A1102

It's this: https://www.ebay.com/p/Original-Apple-P ... 2254397930

It definitely says 5V on it, but I don't know how to convert that to W (you say:" I'm sure it was 5W as shown here.")

When did you purchase the iPod?

Last edited by Mrs H on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:12 pm 

RodF wrote:
Yes. That would be a 10W adapter. I still need to know if that's too much. I can't remember if it's 5W or what.

What model is your iPod, WZZZ?

Does this help:

Model: MC027LL Version: 1.0.2 Mac

It's a Nano, not sure which gen, but probably from mid-'10. Uses 30 pin to USB connector.

Getting into some really advanced stuff here--from my high school physics: 5.1V X 2.1A=10.71 W

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:21 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
How old of an iPod are we talking here? Did it come with a USB cable or a Firewire cable? Did the adapter you lost have a USB or Firewire plug?

My iPod is a 160GB (7th Gen) Classic, MC297LL/A (Black). It has a USB cable to connect to my iMac.

When I bought it, I also bought the adapter. I wanted to be able to charge the iPod when a Mac with USB port wasn't available.

Mrs H, I looked at the adapter you mentioned (APPM9837/n: Apple iPod USB Power Adapter). It looks like the one we have for the iPad.

WZZZ, yes Volts x Amps = Watts. Where did you find the info you quoted, volts & amps?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:58 am 

Quote:
WZZZ, yes Volts x Amps = Watts. Where did you find the info you quoted, volts & amps?

On back of Apple charger that came with iPad2. Use it to charge the iPod as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:16 am 

RodF wrote:
My iPod is a 160GB (7th Gen) Classic, MC297LL/A (Black). It has a USB cable to connect to my iMac.

When I bought it, I also bought the adapter. I wanted to be able to charge the iPod when a Mac with USB port wasn't available.

Mrs H, I looked at the adapter you mentioned (APPM9837/n: Apple iPod USB Power Adapter). It looks like the one we have for the iPad.

Mine is described on invoice as APPMB145/n iPod classic 160GB Silver - must be older than yours.

The adapter was purchased on the same invoice at the same time specifically for the iPod - I don't think iPads even existed when we got it!!! :shock:

I found this but it doesn't help with model number or generation:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204217

Mine definitely was purchased in 2007 and definitely is 160GB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:41 am 

Mrs H wrote:
Mine is described on invoice as APPMB145/n iPod classic 160GB Silver - must be older than yours.

Yes, yours was current from Sept 2007 until Sept 2008.
WZZZ wrote:
On back of Apple charger that came with iPad2. Use it to charge the iPod as well.

Wow. Thanks, WZZZ. I did manage to find that info on the charger/adapter we have for the iPad2. Who ever thought up that micro font size, in grey, on a white background? Even with a magnifying glass I found it a bit of a challenge. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 am 

I had to use a jewelers eye loupe! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:18 am 

Mrs H wrote:
I have an old iPod classic 160GB.
It says on it (in tiny grey print)50-60 Hz Output 5V ====10A...

RodF wrote:
...Who ever thought up that micro font size, in grey, on a white background? Even with a magnifying glass I found it a bit of a challenge. :shock:

My eyes must be better than both of yours - but I doubt my eyes are younger! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 am 

WZZZ wrote:
I had to use a jewelers eye loupe! :mrgreen:

Thank you WZZZ!

Your comment jogged my memory … :bonk: … and … I actually have something similar I've used on geological field trips.

Like this - http://www.geologysuperstore.com/index. ... -lens.html

Just dug it out. I'll never have to squint at those tiny characters again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:51 am 

Did you find a suitable charger?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:48 pm 

As someone who had to start using reading glasses this year, let me uncategorically state that I'm wit chu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9di0yPrwRHE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:24 pm 
Master

For what it's worth, the wattage rating on an adapter should refer to the maximum wattage the adapter can deliver. The power source must be rated to deliver as many watts as the receiving device draws, but it can be capable of delivering arbitrarily more. The actual draw will depend on the demands of the connected device, although newer more sophisticated adapters are able to negotiate with certain devices. If the charger and/or device are dumb, and they don't burst in to flames (rare), they'll usually fall back to pulling power at the old USB maximum of 500mA, which will usually work, just rather slowly.

Compatible adapters will allow the device to draw more power. I bought a whole bundle of misc 5V 2A (10W) 3rd party chargers a while back and they all seem to work with everything that I've connected, and I haven't even been electrocuted yet. I haven't, however, tried a classic iPod, but instinct tells me that in the worst case (barring a massively defective charger) you'll just get slow charging.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 pm 

Before we got the iPad2, with a decent charger/adapter, we used to charge the iPod with a charger found in a 99 cents store. Took much longer, but worked. Even the adapter from a cheap, temporary French cell phone works. Might take forever, but would probably charge the old iPad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
The power source must be rated to deliver as many watts as the receiving device draws, but it can be capable of delivering arbitrarily more.

That's my concern.

I've taken a punt and ordered the 5W adapter.
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It'll be fine …

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm 

As I recall the USB 2.0 chargers that Apple used deliver 500ma over the normal USB power lines (2 of the 4) and then negotiate with the device to deliver additional power over the other 2 (data) lines.

Since USB 3.0 supports over 500ma 3.0 chargers will deliver the additional power over whatever lines USB 3.0 specifies, but only to USB 3.0 equipment. Unless you have Lightning or USB-C I don't think there's any worries here, and if you do, then you probably have the necessary cable to handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 am 

Just to end this thread - I got a new adapter, the 5W one, and it works fine. I find I'm getting more and more paranoid about stuff. The fact that Apple didn't include the iPod Classic model I own in the compatibility list for that adapter made me suspicious. Must relax a little …

Thanks to all of you who replied.