XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:42 pm 
he who stacks pork

OK, so the phone model is a ME296LL/A version 9.2.1 (13D15), and it works just fine. Every time I turn it on, it is bugging me to upgrade to iOS 10.3.3. I am skeptical and believe that not only will this bloat the phone storage-wise, but also cut off my legacy support for Mac OS 10.7.5 (WHICH WORKS JUST GREAT, THANKS!). Any/all advice y’all may have welcomed.

Thanks!

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:11 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Any help here?

http://osxdaily.com/2016/01/04/stop-ios ... ification/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 pm 

iOS 10 requires a minimum of iTunes 12.5, but I can't tell what the minimum version is for iOS 10.3... probably the same but Apple makes it so &*(@#&*( hard to find out.

I think they expect everyone to run out and buy a new non-upgradable system after they upgrade their iDevice to a version too new to be supported by their old hardware. Psst, Apple - it's cheaper just to buy an Android phone.

If the update isn't on the device yet, you could put enough videos/movies/pictures/etc. on the iDevice that it lacks the space to download the update. This is usually around 2-3GB so if you keep less than that free it will still nag you about updating, but it will never be able to download it. If it's already downloaded the update and you want the space back you'll need to block appldnld.apple.com and mesu.apple.com in your router's DNS, perform an iCloud backup, then reset the iDevice and restore the iCloud backup... only problem is you may lose some apps. If the apps in your Mac's iTunes you can put them back on the iDevice after the restore, otherwise they'll be lost. I don't know why developers pull old versions from the App Store but some do, which is why they can't be restored with the backup. An iTunes backup is basically an image backup, it will restore the downloaded update, but an iCloud backup is smaller since Apple doesn't want to provide 8, 16, 32, 64, etc. gigs of space out of the gate just to backup the device, so it's just a snapshot of select app data and settings while movies, music, apps, etc. are downloaded from iTunes Music Store infrastructure on the fly. Any data not from iTMS won't be restored (like, say, most of my music and all my movies), so you'll have to use an iTunes sync to put it back on after the restore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:04 am 

the last version of iTunes OS X Lion supports is 12.2.2.25. as MB pointed out, this iTunes version doesn't support iOS 10.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 am 

I wouldn't change anything until something forces you to update. I left my Mini 2 on iOS 8.2 simply because everything was (and still is) working well.
I get the nags too but upgrading will be a bag of hurt as it would need a newer version of iTunes and therefore a newer system.

It gets to me that iTunes on Windows supported right back to Windows XP while the Mac version would cut off older systems more quickly.

The system is snappy though just as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:06 am 
he who stacks pork

mc68k wrote:
the last version of iTunes OS X Lion supports is 12.2.2.25. as MB pointed out, this iTunes version doesn't support iOS 10.

12.2.2.25 is the version on my Mac, just confirmed that.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm 

About 10.3.3 - you might want to look here - https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8125

I haven't done the update yet because my back up is still backing up, but it reads as if this is something one ought to do.