XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:14 am 

Peeps:

I have been trying to figure out how to get single photos taken by camera to transfer to my iPod Touch 6/ios10.1.1 . . . without moving all of the photos on the camera over . . . I have the smallest iPod, etc. And, then I'm hoping to use the **free** Instagram app on my iPod to upload the photos to IG.

However, this AM I "enabled" Airdrop, wifi & BT in my iPod . . . and turned "Airdrop" on, and wifi, and BT in the 10.9 partition of the MP . . . the Bluetooth File Exchange app opened, it showed the pairing number/code on each of the devices, I selected the photo file to "send" . . . the units "connected" briefly, and then when I clicked "send" . . . the "not connected" error showed, with advice window saying "The device does not have the necessary services." ???

Last night I was trying to read the iPod User guide, and there was something about "to use Airdrop" there must be ios10 (there is) and at least 10.10 . . . (which in this case I'm using 10.9). But, in 10.9 there is the "Airdrop" tab in the finder window . . . and the circular symbol is revolving . . . they apparently do "see" each other . . . but, the file exchange fails . . . .

Since I spend most of my time in 10.9 I haven't switched over to 10.12 partition yet, just wondering if there is anything to do from 10.9 to get **one** photo over to the iPod . . . I don't want to "sync" because I move the iPod around from various computers, that have different "Picture" folders, so I don't want to wipe the photos I already have on the iPod, etc????

Any immmediate thoughts?

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I think 10.9 worked until they improved airdrop & iTunes. :bonk:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I think 10.9 worked until they improved airdrop & iTunes. :bonk:

OK, so that means I'll have to try to reboot to 10.12 . . . latest/greatest to get "full" function?? That usually is the case with OSX . . . .

Thnx,

e..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:55 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I believe so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:06 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I believe so.

OK, I can do dat . . . . Later, after DU "finishes" calibrating or whatever it thinks it needs to do . . . . :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:09 pm 

Well, this seems to be one area where "12" is not better than "9" . . . or is possibly "worse." One thing I hadn't done was to "enable bluetooth sharing" in the Sharing folder. I tried to do that in a user account, as well as admin account. The MP and the iPod "see" each other as "discoverable" . . . one time it showed the passcode numbers . . . but, if and when they "connect" within a second or so they "disconnect" . . . and there is an error, "make sure your MP is turned on and close by" . . . .

I'm sitting at the desktop and I'm holding the iPod over the keyboard . . . I'm within 12 " from the computer, etc. Doesn't seem like they are "pairing" . . . and in 12 this time the "Bluetooth File Exchange" app didn't open like it did in 9 . . . I manually opened it . . . but the "send" button stayed greyed out . . . .

This is another one of those "proprietary" apple deals, whereas the iPod doesn't seem to show up as a "disk" on the desktop that things can be drag/dropped into, etc . . . but, whatever the procedure is to do Airdrop . . . must be something that needs doing?? Or, um 12 doesn't recognize the iPod6 . . . it needs the iPod7 . . . but, the 7 isn't available until next year???

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:59 pm 

I just saw that there is an iOS 10.2 update for the iPod, and in theupdates listed is something about "improving BT" connectivity with "third-party" items . . . like the Mac Pro . . . I guess???

I'm downloading/installing it now . . . probably get back to this sometime tomorrow . . . .

e.e.

Edit: Next morning; nope, new update doesn't appear to have fixed the issue with Airdrop/BT connectivity for file exchange between the iPod & the MP . . . guess I'll have to try to find more info in the "guide"???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:18 pm 

More than likely its third party hardware like speakers, styluses, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:32 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
More than likely its third party hardware like speakers, styluses, etc.

@MB:

Yeah, that's probably it, "other" stuff . . . . Was about to post that I spent some more time with it today, with no luck on it. Figured out that the "AirDrop" service is part of iCloud, and both the iPod & the MP were seemingly having "issues" connecting to iCloud . . . due to the new "dual security" process . . . but, even after multiple "passwords" were sent back and forth, and one machine was used to "OK" the other . . . still, hours later the process was "not completed" on the iPod. Even worse, after entering the password for the iPod to "complete" the iCloud process, the window moved to iPod iCloud page . . . which was "frozen" . . . none of the controls responded to any fervent tapping . . . only the "Settings" link worked to get back out of the frozen iCloud items . . . .

There have of course been times when some aspect of Apple stuff hasn't worked as advertised . . . this is yet another one of those deals. And, even on the BT front, they still will "connect" . . . up until I try to send the photo via BT file exchange--then that breaks the connect. Also, on the MP front, I guess in the AirDrop window I'm supposed to see images of those items who might be AD friendly around me . . . nothing shows up there either . . . . We're talking the latest update of 10.12.2?? . . . cutting edge stuff here. I guess I could ask Siri how to deal with it . . . if I need someone else to say, "I'm not understanding your question . . ." . . . she does that well, too well . . . .

Merry Christmas to all . . . going off channel for a few days . . . I'll pick this up next week . . . .

e.e.p.