XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:41 pm 

I've got the new iPhone set up with the basics - nothing fancy - and nothing downloaded - no new apps, no photos, no music - just mostly what it came with a few contacts.

1. For the first iTunes backup, do I get it to a 100% charge, connect the USB cable from the charger to the MBP (the one we'll be traveling with) and go to iTunes?
2. Approx how long will this take? In other words, will a 100% charge last through the first backup?
3. In future, is it better to do a backup via wifi? (I've read this can't be done for the first backup)
4. What about encrypted backup? we're not using the health thingie (yet? ever?) - but is there an advantage to encryption (saves passwords? but we don't have any on the phone except for the phone itself) - does it just cause issues?
5. At this point should I save just the basic phone to iCloud as well or is it just unnecessary and not worth it? (at this point we are well under the 5GB - I'd never want to pay for this service)

6. Any pointers for a newbie to iPhone - what you wished you knew when you began??

7. Finally - why am I getting messages from healthcare.gov about last minute sign-up? Who gave them my addy?
Like this:
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/851782 but I'm on Consumer Cellular (cheap AT&T connection)
Will I often get these unwanted/mystery messages - and what do they use to find me, my email addy? (no one knows my phone number yet)

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:08 am 

2. Shouldn't take long since basically you have nothing new to back up.
3. No reason to as far as I know (I don't own an iPhone). No faster and probably slower.
4. General information about IOS backups, including encryption: iTunes: About iOS backups - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946
5. Might as well use the iCloud backup. It's free and if you are traveling you have access globally (theoretically) vs a backup stuck on a computer at home. If you take a ton of photos you may wish to select what gets backed up because it's not hard to go over 5GB these days. You can also cache photos in Photstream for short term storage (just don't forget them). iCloud backup is wireless so be near a speedy connection.

Realize with iOS backups things are different to computer backups. Apple is even more controlling over what is actually backed up and what would simply be replaced with something new from a download from their site should you need to restore 2 years from now. For example, you might be forced into upgrading the phone's operating system.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:20 am 

Limnos wrote:
...iTunes: About iOS backups - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946
5. Might as well use the iCloud backup. It's free and if you are traveling you have access globally (theoretically) vs a backup stuck on a computer at home. ...

Anon has warned me against iCloud backup for iPHone (elsewhere) - and I don't want to pay extra and only 5GB is free.

Eventually I suspect we'll have more stuff to backup than will fit. I don't expect to use the phone for many photos - we travel with 4 cameras which we backup to the computer and 3 external portable HDs (I might use the phone to photo meals - Mr H hates it when I get out one of the big cameras to drag to dinner!)

We travel with a 13" MBP (and a netbook hackintosh) so we'd copy any photos onto the MBP thence to the HDs (Once I learn how to use the camera and move the photos that is!!) in addition to having the MBP available for backups to iTunes.

Perhaps, doing backups onto the MBP (iTunes) and iCloud will be OK until I run out of iCloud space.

I have looked at that support KB page - but still wasn't sure about my main concern - how long it takes - esp once I actually have stuff on the phone. IF you have to use the one phone-to-computer cable for the transfer there seems to be no way to have power to the phone whilst backing up - but (I'm trusting 100% charge should do it - but I'm sure I read somewhere someone took 3 days to do a backup - but they had a phone for a year and this was their first backup - so shame on them!)

Thanks Limnos for the reply. I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:43 am 

If you stay away from backing up photos and videos, it's very, very hard to go over 5GB on iCloud.

The gist of his problem with iCloud I remember as being the same with all cloud-based backup systems... you're placing your data on someone else's servers. As a general rule this is a bad idea.

That being said, there really is no replacement for an iCloud backup in terms of cleaning out "Other" data from an iOS device. iTunes backups restore Other data. How fast Other grows depends on what you use the iOS device for, since its caches of thumbnails and websites and god knows what else because Apple defines Other based on what it isn't (Documents, Apps, Videos, etc. are all defined categories, Other is data that isn't defined).

So long as you have a unique password for your AppleID, that's reasonably strong, with non-personally identifying security questions (I generally set them to nonsensical answers and make a record of what I used), and take care to keep as much personal data as possible out of iCloud... it's a reasonable compromise.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:37 am 

Thanks MonkeyBoy for the help.

Lots more questions - some indicated by italics. Sorry to be so lacking in knowledge.

Not sure I understood Other data - what's backed up and restored - I read this on KB articles and elsewhere and it's clear as mud.

SO, I'll go with both kinds of backups I guess...

iTunes backup info here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977 shows an image in the iTunes section that looks like it's for iCloud. :confused:
I assume you have to click on "Back up manually" for iTunes and click "Back up now", though they show iCloud highlighted in the desc for how to use iTunes.

Still have to try the camera and learn how to move photos from phone to MBP & HDs

Yes, our PW is very unique and long, the security ?s - I can't remember what I set up, but I'll review.

•What about encryption? (necessary??)

•I assume I can delete old messages and they won't take up space. Apps - none as of yet besides default - I'm mostly interested in Japan maps and transit system and translate - hope that this is usable when not connected, but doubt it. More research necessary.

•UPDATES? Will I get notices? I happened to see update available when I was cruising around settings (maybe settings, not sure where I was) but I never was notified. I'm on 10.1.1 but I saw that 10.2 was out on Dec 12 - but I just found this by chance and haven't done anything about it yet - want to do the backup first.

•Any thoughts on my last question in my post -
"7. Finally - why am I getting messages from healthcare.gov about last minute sign-up? Who gave them my addy?
Like this:
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/851782 but I'm on Consumer Cellular (cheap AT&T connection)
Will I often get these unwanted/mystery messages - and what do they use to find me, my email addy? (no one knows my phone number yet)"

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:41 am 

If you're a doctor with patient records, encrypt. If you store credit card and social security numbers, encrypt. Otherwise I don't bother. If somebody wants to look at my holiday snaps then they are welcome. On my computer I do have a small list of secure things such as credit card numbers. I keep those in an encrypted disc image, otherwise the rest of the stuff is in the open.

With iCloud I meant might as well use it in addition to iTunes backup.

As for the email address, those are pretty much everywhere these days. Mine has been on the web for 25 years now ever since a well-meaning colleague posted a scientific discussion in which I participated on his site so it would benefit others in my field. I know it comes from there because the discussion is still on his site and I get spam using my address with a domain name format my mail providers hasn't used since 1995. Ever sent anything to somebody with a Yahoo address? Yahoo just got hacked again with billions of accounts compromised. Target's been hacked. Likely one of your friends has been hacked. People send stuff to groups of people without using blind carbon copy and they send it to others who get hacked. I only have one email address that does not get spam and that's because I have never sent anything to anybody using it nor given it out to anybody.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:27 pm 

And the phone just pinged - the gov again - the health care thing has been extended.
I'm not even eligible - GO AWAY you foul messages! STOP!
And it pinged again for the same message - not a resend just wants to be sure I saw it I guess, I've gotta sort this one out.

I have 5 email addies, I don't know which one this message is using - not sure how to figure it out. Our local ISP has a great SPAM filter so I never see it, or just a few that sneak through so this is weird - but I know this isn't ISP controlled.

I don't know how the GOV got my addy - well maybe through SS? - but I don't think I gave it even there.

Re encryption - I do no banking online and expect to do none on the phone. I have no credit cards stored online nor will I on the phone. (I don't know about mileage plus X app, but that connects to your United MP account for Credit Card for deals - not sure if it's safe so not signing up yet - if ever) So I guess I can skip that step!

VPN? I've read a bit about it in Dummies - and don't know if I can use it when connected in Japan - or if it is just for work networks - or what. Again, more research. It's a good thing I've got several months before we head back to Japan, where I can use the phone with a portable wifi connection (rented with a local sim card installed) but where no voice is allowed - except of course with facetime via wifi (I'm guessing) though the Japan sims are data and text only - some sort of security idea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:23 pm 

It may not be healthcare.gov but one of the healthcare firms who provides services and insurance through healthcare.gov. Though I imagine if you ever gave federal or state government your email address for social security, etc. then it could have been tied into healthcare.gov for notifications. There should be an opt-out link near the bottom of the email to stop future messages.

Regarding the apple.com link if you choose "Use iTunes" then look at the screenshot the first selection is "iCloud" but below it is "This computer." That's for automatic backups though, you can choose to "Back Up Now" to immediately back up the device. Since you're going to be travelling the idea of using WiFi for backups isn't really a viable option, since it's based on you returning home with your phone, connecting to your home WiFi network, then connecting to the Mac to perform the WiFi backup. While traveling you're not going to have a single solitary WiFi network to use and WiFi backup system will require you to basically do a lot of steps every time you move to a new spot. And if you're on a hotel WiFi or something along those lines, I would not, under any circumstance, trust the WiFi to handle your backup. It requires you to open your Mac so the iPhone can connect to it, which means someone else on WiFi could also connect. When you're on an untrusted WiFi network, you shouldn't trust it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:26 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
I have 5 email addies, I don't know which one this message is using - not sure how to figure it out.

On iphone go to 'settings' and scroll down to 'messages' & tap it...on the next screen scroll down to 'send & receive' and tap it. The next screen shows your apple id, phone number and email addresses associated with the device. You can add emails or to delete one tap on the 'circled i' to the right of the address in question and select 'remove this email' on the next screen.

'Messages' can receive text using phone number or email addresses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 pm 

That's an option. If this is a new phone number, the previous owner of that number could have signed up for healthcare using it, and you'd be receiving their notices.

This is why I get calls in the middle of the night from guys looking to hook up with the woman who had the number before me. Usually they just hang up as soon as I answer but if they're really, really drunk they'll persist and ask for her, in which case I trot out the Ghostbusters line ("there is no <name>, there is only Zuul."). That usually confuses them long enough for me to hang up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:35 pm 

I figured out how to delete the messages, which were from heathcare gov - and I did delete them. Got sick of seeing them on the lock screen page.
Got 3 - deleted 3.

BIG weird problem now - when I go to settings button (and I have to say I have trouble with the home button and my finger's touch, so with Applecare's help the first thing we did was set up Accessibility so I have a button on the left of the screen that gives me a button on the screen for home, siri, notifications etc.

Anyway, going HOME I touch settings and it seems to be stuck in the last screen I was at - and I can't get it to go anywhere - no way to go back and settings wasn't offering me the long list it did before, when I got stuck here.
I'd like to see General - or just about anything - but I don't get it - swiping right, left, up (brings up a box, by nothing I want there - notifications, siri etc)
I was simply trying to get rid of widgets I didn't want, to turn off news I looked here - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-disa ... in-ios-10/
The thing is - I can't get into anything in settings.

Now it's T'ai chi time - tomorrow I'm calling applecare again.
I think I've done something weird or something weird is happening, but I don't know what.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:03 pm 

Looking BETTER - Finished T'ai Chi quickly.
Woke up phone, entered passcode (haven't done fingerprints yet - for Mr H and me) - and settings was back to the way it should be - with all the options to see and do fixed and there.
I wonder if the phone had gone to sleep when I put it down for a second, but then why would it let me into one page, but not all?

Anyway - it reminded me to do a backup - which I haven't done as we've been dicking around with which way to go.
iTunes for home and travel (onto travel MBP)
iCloud for home but NOT for travel.
Right?
More on iCloud - I didn't set it up for the phone on initial setup, but should - it should be easy? (says she naively) Messages obviously works (without it???) but perhaps not iMessages.

More on WiFi and using it whilst traveling later.

I can't check to whom the healthcare message was sent - I couldn't find it on the message and I hadn't read your notes here before I jsut went ahead and deleted the messages, but I'm sure I'll get another tomorrow. I'll try to reread what you've written and sort it out.

I checked the phone number online and it was an active (comcast!) number in 2006, but it hasn't been active recently so far as I can tell - but that's not to say... Thanks for that suggestion.