XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:46 pm 

Already asked at ASC, with zero replies.

Even if an account, or all accounts are turned off, made inactive, does Mail still connect to the server (here it's Verizon POP3) anyway, but just not display any messages in the UI? I'm asking because, although I have a VPN, it takes a few seconds or more (can be much more, in fact) for that to become operational, and during that time if Mail (SSL, which encrypts data and passwords, but which still sends email addresses in the clear) even with all accounts disabled, still connects, there will be an open window during which time someone sniffing on a public network can acquire those addresses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:56 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

IMAP seems to check no matter what, but for POP… Mail>prefsAccount>Advanced, is check auto checked?

Using Connection Doctor or Mail Prefs seems to test them all no matter any setting. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:15 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
IMAP seems to check no matter what, but for POP… Mail>prefsAccount>Advanced, is check auto checked?

Using Connection Doctor or Mail Prefs seems to test them all no matter any setting. :(

No Connection Doctor or network diagnostics. Nothing like that on the iPad.

Edit: but do have an app on the iPad, System Status, which gives loads of information, much more than I can understand or use. Part of it is similar to Activity Monitor. The same dev has an app, Network Analyzer. But with the latest app store malware scare I hesitate to get it. Besides, no idea if it would give me the information I need for this.