XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am 

I think Apple Continuity is finally working, but I am still experiencing some issues with iMessage. According to an Apple Doc, https://www.apple.com/macos/continuity, there is the description the Doc provided regarding Messages:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 11.18.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 11.18.04 AM.png [ 62.61 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]

The issue I am having is that although all messages sent from my Apple devices to other Apple devices appear on my iMac, iPad and iPhone, Messages sent/received from my iPhone appear on other Apple devices, BUT Messages sent /received from non Apple devices do not appear on any of my Apple devices. Am I misunderstanding the statement in the Doc, that says I should be able to receive/transmit a message from any Apple device, regardless of what platform I am communicating with?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm 

Uhhh, I don't think so. Just got a fruity-fone and I did catch some pref about allowing texts to show on other devices, so I selected it. There DOES seem to be some synergy with my iPad but nothing at all on my desktop. AND my iPad is NOT a cellular model, wifi only.

Another oddity. I have 2 conversations that had to be only SMS as both people do not have any apple products. In one I see what I write in green bubbles, BUT on of them had blue bubbles. I THINK I can actually reply ON my iPad to someone who SMSs me.

Last edited by paulc on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:23 pm 

Continuity really only works reliably for Apple device to Apple device communication. They like to claim so long as you have all-Apple hardware it just magically works but once you start interacting with people who (gasp) don't have Apple devices the continuity comes to an end. It really only works if you restrict yourself to only communicating with people who have Apple devices. Like, say, you would find on the Apple Campus. Even then though its got issues.

So, basically, what you're seeing is exactly what I'd expect from Continuity. Overpromised and underdelivered.