XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:03 am 

This is really more a FYI should you ever encounter this:

I have been trying to set up Messages (iMessage) and Facetime on an iOS12.4 iPhone SE with no cell service for quite some time now. I would get as far as turning it on in settings and it would then just display "waiting for activation" for hours on end. So I would assume it wasn't working and then try again a month later. This wasn't helped by an Apple Support document which depending upon how you read it seemed to suggest that maybe you couldn't turn on those services on an iPhone without SMS active. However, it turns out it was working for my purposes (wifi use). The activation waiting message was referring to the cellular part of the service, but I could still use it with wifi as was my intention all long.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

LOL, thanks Limnos... I think Apple expects us to have the whole hog & the best of everything, like the equipment they test with!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:49 am 

Indeed. My wife's 5S very quickly and unexpectedly passed away over the weekend. Saturday morning it was behaving a bit quirky and might, or might not, respond to touching the screen. By Sunday it consistently would not, nor respond to pressing buttons except for volume. Plus the icon saying rotation lock was set suddenly appeared without having set it. So Sunday we go to the Apple Store and she tells them she has the 5S backed up on her computer at home. It's a good thing I was there because of course the sales people immediately assume she is running a computer with all the latest software and tell her to simply attach the new iPhone 8 to her computer and use Finder to restore the content. My wife has never upgraded her computer from Mavericks so I know this is going to involve a detailed set of upgrades of both macOS and iTunes (we decided on El Capitan so it still uses iTunes).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Like all the new "Features" that are buggy but prevent updating/running on perfectly good older equipment!

I'm a bit surprised I can still help out with Mojave & Catalina problems without being able to "upgrade" any of my Macs that far. :coffee:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 am 

Limnos wrote:
...So Sunday we go to the Apple Store and she tells them she has the 5S backed up on her computer at home. It's a good thing I was there because of course the sales people immediately assume she is running a computer with all the latest software and tell her to simply attach the new iPhone 8 to her computer and use Finder to restore the content. My wife has never upgraded her computer from Mavericks so I know this is going to involve a detailed set of upgrades of both macOS and iTunes (we decided on El Capitan so it still uses iTunes).

Important info here. Thanks.

Does the 8 play nice with El Cap?
Image capture still works?
And it sounds like iTunes still works for the backup.
I am anticipating the day when my 6s says goodbye.

Limnos wrote:
...Apple Support document which depending upon how you read it seemed to suggest that maybe you couldn't turn on those services on an iPhone without SMS active. However, it turns out it was working for my purposes (wifi use). The activation waiting message was referring to the cellular part of the service, but I could still use it with wifi as was my intention all long.

One other question - am I reading you correctly? Does your phone work without a SIM card and without a cellular contract to connect via WiFi and successfully use Messages and FaceTime??

The camera still must work without cellular service. Can you download photos via Image Capture to a computer without the phone being a phone?