XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:50 pm 

I don't see much of this talked about, so maybe it isn't a big deal?

I noticed some check marks next to a number that called me today, seems like it is this feature-

Attachment:
C6DABC78-F85B-4E17-B4C0-AC5CCA19838A_1_201_a.jpeg [307.3 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Carrier Verified Calls
A check mark is displayed next to calls in the recents list when they are verified by the carrier, so you can be sure that a calling number is accurate and has not been spoofed. Supports the STIR and SHAKEN standards.

There are also all kinds of notifications about apps wanting to do stuff like access your BT, your location, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:13 pm 
Master

What phone carrier are you using? I didn't think SHAKEN/STIR were very widely supported yet.

I personally never answer calls from unrecognized numbers anyway. I just wish they didn't go to voicemail. Fun fact: I'm probably public enemy number 1 in China based on the number of voicemails I've had from the Chinese consulate about legal concerns and indictments on the mainland. (My mandarin isn't very good, but I've gathered this is the gist of the calls.)

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 pm 

They're very angry that you keep posting & viewing pictures of Winnie the Pooh.

But just look at him. Isn't he adorable?

Attachment:
Xi the Pooh.png
Xi the Pooh.png [ 524.85 KiB | Viewed 47 times ]

Oh piglet, it's another fine mess you've gotten us into.

On topic though... yeah I thought STIR/SHAKEN were just proposals at this point. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the only ones with checkmarks were spammers who are exploiting bugs in the proposal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

So only 1 number was verified?

Is that number in your Contacts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:38 am 

I have Verizon. Maybe they're trying it out or something? I also don't have my phone ring through unless you are calling from a number in my address book.

Yes, only one number had the check! It is not someone in my contacts. I suspect that was plumbers calling as they were coming over yesterday. I forgot to ask them, but that is my guess. My cell is my only phone, so the outgoing message is something like 'You've reached Richard at Prescott Coffee Roasters...' and a bit about calling my distributor if you're ordering coffee. Since the number used to be my shop's number I get all kinds of spam calls. If you search the numbers on the web you'll see a lot of them are listed on sites that have more details on them being spam. The number with the check didn't have results on those sites.

I wouldn't doubt that if there's a way around it spammers will figure it out!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:06 am 

Know of a landline type phone that can do that? I use the VOIP service that comes from Spectrum that I get my internet from... and they have a contract with NOMOROBO. Previously, I'd get a single ring meaning it was blocked, BUT now, blocked numbers are getting listed as "missed call." Which kinda means I am also reporting calls already blocked. My phone CAN block calls to where they never even ring, BUT with only 30 slots, useless as I'd have hundreds in there.

Hmmm, wonder if there is a landline phone that can block thousands of numbers you feed into it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 pm 

I have a contact called Jack Ass on my phone that I add all the random numbers who call but don't leave me a message. Since it's tied to a google account I can add as many numbers as I want to the contact. I have at least 50 numbers tied to the contact now. Any calls coming into that contact have a silent ringtone so I don't even hear them when they call. I add a number every 2-3 weeks to the contact but for the most part I appear to have finally blocked most of their pool of numbers because the overwhelming majority of them don't disturb me.

If Verizon is this hot and bothered to implement STIR/SHAKEN there must be some financial incentive for them to do it, and I really dread what it'll be when we finally find out what it is. I'm guessing they own a patent.