XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

Just for one iMessage message to one person, I'd like to change the "start new conversation from..." addy to an email address and not have it be my phone number.

If I make the change in settings, set the email addy as "start conversion from" send the message and then reset the start conversation from back to my phone number will that cause problems?

I have 3 email addies plus my phone number set to "you can be reached by iMessage at..." so receiving it shouldn't be a problem.

Will this screw things up? It's a long story why I don't want to use my phone number, I can if I have to, but I'd prefer not to.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 pm 

I don't believe it'll cause any problems, although any replies you make may or may not come from that alternate address. The last iOS I'm really intimately familiar with is 6.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:22 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I don't believe it'll cause any problems, although any replies you make may or may not come from that alternate address...

I'll try it then. Once I send the message (I'm waiting till tomorrow to see if he does get and respond to the email I sent to his photography company - this is all to Japan btw)
The receive part for iMessage will be OK since the email addy is set to be a receiver of messages send there.
If I need to reply to the message from this fellow, I'll just change it to the email addy again so that will be the send address he'll see.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 pm 

Problem solved.

I heard from him via email - along with a photo, so it seems as if I can avoid changing the settings.