XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm 

Any recommendations for a dock/speaker unit to suit a new iPod Touch?

My wife's ancient 3rd Gen iPod, purchased in 2003, is on its last legs. She has an Altec Lansing dock/speaker thing that has worked well with it. It means she can easily carry it around the house as a combination to listen to audiobooks and music. Her birthday's coming up, so …

I have looked, but frankly, the things on Apple's site are way more than she would need, or indeed want. Something in the $50 to $100 dollar range (or maybe a bit more) would do the trick. I've looked at several such items, but am wary of trying to guess what might be worth the money - a sign of ageing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 pm 
Master

I know it won't be a very desirable option for everyone, but I use an Apple Airport Express connected to my main stereo, then just wirelessly connect to it to stream music. I can charge the iPod at the same time through a cable plugged in to a wall wart next to the kitchen counter. Total cost, including 3rd party charger + cable, and refurbished Airport Express, but excluding my stereo, was < $100.

The stereo isn't, however, very portable and won't run off battery without an expensive UPS.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:41 pm 

The only speaker docks I've used are basically bedside clock/radio/dock alarms.

Speaker docks do seem to have fallen out of vogue. I saw one on Amazon that looked kind of small and neat:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRPIWQ

That isn't very portable though, unless you want to cart around the entire wall wart + dock + iDevice combination.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 am 

Thanks, both, for your replies. It seems that you either have to go with the very expensive, or the fairly cheap with these things.

After mulling over the options I settled on this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KX8UR2U/ ... 11_TE_item

It looks like it's just the job. We'll see. I'm more and more hesitant about buying stuff these days in case it proves a disappointment. Getting longer in the tooth does this to you, maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 pm 

Good news, hope you're happy with it.

I just noticed the dock I linked to had batteries in the base as well as an AC adapter. Ah, the things you notice when you're not sleep deprived.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:48 pm 

I'm going to advise that we use the 3.5mm line-in port to connect the iPod to it for listening. Run on the iPod battery until it's depleted, then attach to the lightning docking point to charge and listen (otherwise charge from USB wall socket).
We got lazy over the years with her current 3rd gen iPod, leaving it on the Altec Lansing speaker dock all the time, so the battery became unchargeable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:30 pm 

Unfortunately that's going to happen anyway, LiIon batteries lose effectiveness over time, they originally lost 1/3 their charge and therefore runtime each year of their life, so after 3 years from manufacture they weren't useful - however I think newer designs (like LiIon polymer) lose less effectiveness over time, but they still lose. That's whether you use the battery or not. I have an iPod Touch at home whose battery is really wacky, claims it's at 100% charge then 2 minutes later it's at 10% then 2 minutes later its at 50%, but at this point its 6 or 7 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 am 

Yes, having read about memory effect, I see that the situation is complicated. I suppose that the fact that my wife's 3rd gen iPod (bought 2003) still functions, with occasional irritating cut-outs, and only while attached to the dock/speaker, is quite remarkable. It did have a new battery put in some years ago, but that soon started to show the same symptoms as the original one.