XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 pm 

I have two iPads, an older iPad, 4rd Gen 32 GB (IOS 9.3.5)and a new one I received at Christmas, iPad 9.7 5th Gen 32GB Gold (IOS 11.2.2). I just completed a data transfer to. the new IPad using backup data from the iCloud to set up the iPad Gold. My problem is when I open the iPads, I receive different Notifications. Attached below are screen prints, Image 0003 is the old is the Old iPad, image 0004 is the new iPad.

As you can see 0003 has fewer notifications than 9004. Why is that? Theoretically, they both should be the same. I am not concerned about 00003 because, I will be phasing out the old iPad and will be using the new iPad as my primary device. What I am concerned about is one of the Application notifications that appear in 00003 but does not appear on 00004. Since I have had the old iPad for over 5 years and I have forgotten how I even set Notifications up and the Settings look appear to look the same, but apparently are different from each other.

Any help would greatly appreciated :emphatic-eek: .

Attachments:
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg [ 32.3 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg [ 24.78 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 am 

My issue was resolved after I contacted MacNost Q&A because I had not received replies from this forumn or ASC, MacMost provided a Link, http://macmost.com/forum/how-do-i-edit-notifications-in-ipad-devices.html and explanation as to possible discrepancies between my old and new iPad Notification differences.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the tips link, I looked at your problem but have no iPad, as well as always turning OFF all notifications on my macs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm 

When you restore a backup onto a new device some, but not all, settings will come over. When the OS is different the settings are often called something different internally, so even though you and I may think they're the same thing, to the OS they're different.

As a result you have to go through the settings on the new iPad and configure them the same as the old one, even though many (or most) will already be set how you want them there will be "new" (or genuinely new) settings that didn't get set.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm 

Thanks MonkeyBoy,

I thought the backup from iCloud data transfer was a mirror image of what saved the iCloud came was sent to the new device. Are you saying when I changed the device ID to a new name, that might have affected the notifications on the new device? I know , I was instructed to check the Apps because IOS11.2,2 added some new Apps that did or could not be loaded on to my old IOS 9.3.5, the App icon appeared on the display screen, but when selected, the App did not launch the program because the program was not loaded onto the new IOS. Apple Doc never said anything about either. If it was not for the Support Groups, I would be struggling in trying to figure out what was going on

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 pm 

The iCloud backup isn't an image backup. Its a backup of the files that were on the device and the OS settings.

When the name of some of those settings are changed a restore that contains old settings won't apply to the new iOS version. It doesn't back up the apps on the device, it simply notes which apps were on the device at the time of the backup so when you go to restore the iCloud backup it will install those apps, fresh from Apple's servers, onto the device.

I had two iPads that were the exact same version, the only difference was that the iOS on one was upgraded to a newer version. When I restored the iCloud Backup from the old iPad OS onto the new iPad OS many settings didn't transfer over. I had to go into Settings and set them manually. Even though they do roughly the same thing, they aren't the same thing to the OS itself.

Remember, the first thing you did was to restore an iCloud backup from the old iPad onto the new iPad. At this point the two diverged because some settings didn't apply (weren't installed) to the new iPad. If you attempt to do the reverse, restore a backup of the new iPad onto the old iPad, the same thing will happen - internally in the OS the name of the settings are different between OS versions, even if they do roughly the same thing.

I infrequently reset my iPad to defaults and restore from an iCloud backup in order to reclaim space ("Other" tends to grow over time until most of the space on the device is "Other"). Only some of the apps will restore because a version compatible with my iOS version is no longer present on Apple's servers. This is how I know the iCloud backup isn't a byte-for-byte exact image of my device stored on Apple's servers, but merely a looser collection of files that's stored there with references to other files that Apple normally stores on their servers (e.g. individual apps).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 pm 

And furthermore, just one other thing, the two screen shots you took, show two different media apps, one EPSN and the other USA Today. If you want to get your old USA Today back in play, check it in Notifications, or if it is not there then re-download the app. But really they are both just news headline announcements and are 'here today gone tomorrow' in the ephemeral 24 hour news cycle. I wouldn't worry about their absence. Going to either of their websites will give you their latest feeds.