XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 8GB iPod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 pm 

Saw an 8 GB iPod for sale today in a garage sale, $10. Seemed to work. The owner said it was about 10 years old. I was wondering if this would be an acceptable starter device, or a waste of even $10. I have never owned an iPod before. This one had a screen, with apps, presumably no cellular service (good), but did work with wi-fi. I thought it might be handy if I was traveling, for sending email etc. Obviously can't upgrade software anymore but as long as it generally works it's okay.

Probably need to get the owner to change the password? Can one still restore a device that old? I know Activation Lock won't be an issue.

Let me know what you think and if I should see if it is there tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: 8GB iPod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:36 pm 
Master

I'd risk $10 on a first generation iPod Touch. I had one, but my housemate's daughter claimed it from me so I don't get to use it anymore. (She doesn't use it much either, but still treats it as her own.) I haven't tried syncing that one with iTunes since Ye Olde iTunes, so I don't know if it's still compatible. You certainly won't find many programs that still run on it, but for playing music it will still be OK if you can sync it successfully (I'd be surprised if it didn't sync, but you know Apple). The last problem you're likely to have is that the battery will probably not be in good shape, and they're not easy to change.

The first generation iPod touch is still, in my opinion, a better music player than my 2015 era Android phone.

If it's not an iPod Touch, like an iPod Nano, Mini, Micro, ItsyBitsy, Tiny, etc., it's not a great deal. The iPod touch had a lot more life in it than the other iPod models. The iPod Touch is easy to identify: it's about the size of your palm, a little smaller than most of today's smartphones, but it isn't tiny. The screen is big enough to interact with comfortably, and of course it has a touch interface.

Email will mostly work, but don't bother trying to browse the web with it.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:35 am 

You should be able to put it into recovery mode and wipe it out and put a fresh OS on it - something I'd recommend everyone do to any used iDevice purchase (in theory it should knock out any jailbreak muckery).

Provided you have a copy of iTunes new enough to support that model, it should be able to download and install whatever the last iOS version was that supported that model. If I wipe out my iPod Touch I can restore it to iOS 6 using iTunes under 10.5. The 5th generation though would restore iOS 9 which requires something newer than 10.5, and 6th generation is current so good luck using it without a fully up to date Mac.

If you want to avoid the firmware recovery mode and the guy can unlock it for you, you should be able to go into settings, general, erase, erase all data/content & settings... path kind of changes from iOS to iOS but look for reset/resets and it should be an option. This isn't as complete as a recovery wipe but so long as its not iOS 8 or newer it shouldn't get iCloud locked to a particular Apple ID. He may need to enter in their information one last time before it agrees to wipe the device in a sort of last-ditch block to you wiping it out. If its jailbroken though this may not remove the jailbreak.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:40 am 

This was a Touch. Not quite the size of a smartphone but definitely touchscreen. It had various Apple standard apps on it such as Safari which is why I thought it might be handy in a travel scenario.

If it's still there, and I can go by there (volunteering all day today), I'll get it.

I still use iTunes 7.5 because I have had no reason to update to anything newer and definitely don't want Apple's latest and best because it will break a bunch of scripts I use. I could figure out some way to use a newer version but actually I am more interested in its other aspects.

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:38 am 

iOS 6 requires a minimum of iTunes 10.6.3, which, coincidentally, is the last version that runs on 10.5.

The only real issue I've had with 10.6.3 is with movie sharing, but near as I can tell newer (and older) versions are equally broken in this regard. Once your library grows beyond a certain point it just... falls down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 am 

Moot now. Went by on Saturday and the guy wasn't there. Was told to try Sunday but went by at 11 am and wasn't there yet so I left a note but never heard back so presume not interested in selling or sold.

My wife has an iPhone 4s she replaced with a 5c a few years ago. The external speaker doesn't work and the last time she used it was for a 3 week trip to New Zealand 2 years ago when we bought a NZ 30 day SIM. Maybe I can talk her into letting me use that instead. I think it still runs iOS 5. I remember when we unlocked it from AT&T I was able to do so without a full restore which would have automatically resulted in it being updated.