XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:11 pm 

About a year ago, I became puzzled by what appeared to be excessive drive activity on my Time Machine drive... even at times when it wasn't doing a backup. I'd occasionally notice the drive activity light blinking rapidly for long periods (±30 seconds or more; I never timed it) before ever-so-briefly pausing and then continuing. It became very frustrating when it would occur as I was trying to shut the computer down, and even sometimes during start-up: it would delay those processes until it was damned good and ready to allow things to continue. Baffled the crap outta me.

But I recently discovered it wasn't only the Time Machine drive. My Audio 1 drive was also doing it... at the same time as the TM drive. I'd never noticed it because the Audio 1 drive is hidden from direct view unless I scrunch down to see it. So, because both these drives' activity lights would furiously blink in unison, what they have in common is that they're both on the Firewire bus. The issue hadn't gotten any worse, but today there was a new development.

I'd begun to notice, when launching Disk Utility, that it seemed to take a long time for the app to find and list all attached drives. And there are currently only three, besides the startup disk. Not knowing whether one had anything to do with the other, I thought, "Why not" and decided to use Disk Warrior to see if it found any issues with the startup drive (maybe something was causing the inability to find the drives). I restarted the computer with the Disk Warrior flash drive and launched it. Disk Warrior, too, was taking a long time to find attached drives. A LONG time. Actually, it never found them, but kept looking. I looked over and, sure enough, the activity light on the Time Machine drive was blinking away like crazy. And it went on for several minutes before I'd had enough. But I couldn't stop Disk Warrior from looking for disks, and I couldn't quit it. Nor could I restart or shut down the computer. So... I had to yank out the Firewire cable. Maybe I should've instead forced a shutdown? I dunno. I'd had enough, but I realized the two Firewire drives might now be toast.

Within seconds of yanking out the cable, Disk Warrior found attached drives, and it showed no issues with my startup drive. But, the notion crossed my mind that maybe one or both of the Firewire cables was bad and causing the random and excessive drive activity. I replaced both cables and restarted normally.

It's too soon to tell definitively whether that fixed the problem of excessive drive activity (or what appeared to be) but, after restarting, the first good sign was that both Firewire drives immediately showed up in Finder windows. AND, when launching it to confirm that, Disk Utility found all attached drives within seconds, and a Time Machine backup has since taken place without issue.

I don't know enough to understand how a faulty cable would apparently consistently pass good data to and from these drives, while at the same time, possibly cause what appeared to be excessive drive activity... but only occasionally. However, that's where we are at the moment.

And just in time to shut down for an approaching thunderstorm. Yay!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work I'd say. :)

Maybe ths thread?

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... =spotlight

Or...

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6& ... ht#p106156

Passing data will do many retries comparing the data.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:44 am 

OK, so I learned last night that the furiously blinking activity lights on the two drives on my Firewire bus takes place NOT when I put the computer to sleep, but shortly after I log out of my user (Admin) account. So, I thought I'd solve that by just not logging out and letting the computer sleep. But that (which will require veering off to another thread) caused my Water Break app to stop working. Thus, to keep everything happy, when I retire later tonight, I'll remain logged in and just put my display to sleep.

But I just remembered that I MANUALLY unmount and eject those two drives BEFORE logging out and putting the computer to sleep. So, after having done so, it's now even more puzzling to me that I see what appears to be activity on these drives. Again, I'll stress that, apart from the lights that blink furiously for what can sometimes be several minutes, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong, at least with regard to the drives and their content. But, when this furious blinking does take place after logout, it has several times kept the shutdown process from moving forward and, I believe, at least once or twice delayed startup.

Googling this weirdness turns up nothing. The mystery continues.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd open Console & search the logs for theTime or later of the sleep or logout or dismount.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:10 pm 

I don't know how to use Console. Which of the reports or logs should I be looking in? And I'll guess it's best to check as soon after the event as possible to avoid having to scroll through many events to find what I'm looking for, yes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Depending on OS version choose All Logs or Computer at the top left, then the Search bar at right for the Time, I forget what time you had, but search like...

02:30

Or what ever the time was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 am 

OK, Thanks, BD. I'll give that a go and see what I can find.