XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:11 pm 

I know Firefox is going to EOL 60esr sometime soon, so I figured I'd better learn about 68 which they also offered when I updated Ff to 60.8.0esr

I read this:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... oss-fears/
and haven't a clue.

When I finally get around to switching - or am forced to because I delayed till 60 is just no longer available - what do I do about the profile currently in v60.8.0?
Before I do each update I always make a copy of the entire Profiles folder found in Application Support/Firefox.
in the past with Ff I have simply replaced the older version of the app by dragging the newer one into my Applications folder.

But this article puzzles me.
A. Should I just replace 60 with 68 by dragging the app when switching to 68?
OR s
B. Should I keep 60 as a separate app until I install and run 68 as a separate app (can this be done?)
AND
C.How does 68 get the profile from 60 if you tell me that that A. above is what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:06 pm 

First, no emergency. There is still going to be a FF 60.9 released at end of August, when it will really be EOL in October sometime.

Attachment:
FF Release Schedule.png [124.77 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I already got a 68esr (68.0.1) from my 60esr profile, can give you directions for the way I did it, but didn't know about the method at bleeping, which may be preferable. Can give you directions if it doesn't work out using their method.

Seems simple enough. You enter "about:profiles" in the address/URL field and follow what they suggest. Seems like you just replace the profile that comes with the new 68esr with the old 60.8esr by making the old one the default.

FF has gone to separate profiles, which means you can run the 60.8esr side by side with the 68.0.1esr.

Link for the 68.0.1esr: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... 0.1esr.dmg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:43 am 

This is what about:profiles will look like. More or less, since the profile names will differ. My current 60.8esr is named "Test Q." Yours will be whatever it currently is. Your new one should also appear, like mine, as "default-esr."

Attachment:
about profiles example copy.png
about profiles example copy.png [ 115.32 KiB | Viewed 2579 times ]

After you get the new FF 68.0.1esr, you will enter "about:profiles" in its address field. Next, you will see the current xxxxxx.default-esr is listed as the default profile -- this is the new 68.0.1esr (it's not empty, as the author states, but it doesn't contain all that much.) You will also see there your older FF 68.8 (or 68.9 depending when you decide to do this). Simply select that older one which has all your current data, addons, logins, bookmarks, everything, as the default profile, by hitting "set as default profile." You can then either quit the new FF, and reopen, or just hit "Restart normally."

Note: I haven't tried this method, and won't since I don't want to start messing with what I've already accomplished. And remember the article also suggests that you may need to try this several times before it sticks. Hope it works for you. If not, I can give you directions for how I did it.

And you do have backups, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:49 pm 

Thanks, WZZZ, I knew I could count on you.

I'll test this all out later this week - too hot to do any serious work for the next few days. Hot and HUMID - not what VT should be.

Sounds like I can run both 60 and 68 Ff while I get this sorted out. The main thing is to get my Profile from 60 over to 68.

I'll be back if I can't sort it out, but it sound clear to me what you say, except...

WZZZ wrote:
After you get the new FF 68.0.1esr, you will enter "about:profiles" in its address field. Next, you will see the current xxxxxx.default-esr is listed as the default profile -- this is the new 68.0.1esr (it's not empty, as the author states, but it doesn't contain all that much.) You will also see there your older FF 68.8 (or 68.9 depending when you decide to do this). Simply select that older one which has all your current data, addons, logins, bookmarks, everything, as the default profile, by hitting "set as default profile." You can then either quit the new FF, and reopen, or just hit "Restart normally." ...And you do have backups, right?

Do mean my current 60.8 or 60.9 (not 68 here)?

And, yes, I have loads of backups - 4 or 5 at the least.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:31 am 

Quote:
You will also see there your older FF 68.8 (or 68.9 depending when you decide to do this).

Yeah, mistake. Should be "your older 60.8esr or 60.9esr, depending when you decide to do this." That's the profile you want to bring over to the new 68esr, or whatever it is by the time you get around to doing this. Shouldn't change until next release, unless there's suddenly some new security patch that results in a new version.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:36 am 

Thanks, WZZZ.

At least it shows I'm reading the stuff you send out and have figured it out enough to ask the question.

Did you say I can install into the Application folder Firefox 68x esr and have it available along with keeping for the time being Ff 60x esr? Choose keep both rather than replace when it asks a question something like there is an older version of Firefox in that location, do you want to keep both or replace? A

And both firefoxes can sit in the app folder without causing issues?

If I make the OLD Ff 60 the default, will that mean both are active and if I add a bookmark into 68 it will also be added into 60 - or will each Profile operate separately, it's just that I will have 2 versions of Ff in order to get used to and test 68 to be sure it has all my stuff??

Confused...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:27 pm 

Yes, keep both in Applications, no problem. The new 68.0.1esr will be named Firefox 2.app, I believe (you can rename it to something else, but let's leave that alone for now.) You can run them side by side, even keep both open at the same time, since the new one has its own separate profile. If the procedure above works properly, everything bookmarks, logins, passwords, you name it, will be moved from the current 60.8esr into the new 68.0.1esr. The original 60.8esr will not lose anything by doing this. But no, because the profiles are separate. Once the new one is established, doing something in one will not affect the other. Later, if you like, you can move bookmarks and some other items from one to the other when they change to keep them in sync. But for now, let's keep it simple and not get into that.

Use the link I gave you above to get the 68.0.1esr.

When you open the new one for the very first time, before moving anything over, it will show a second Firefox icon in the Dock. I would recommend keeping it in the Dock, so you don't have to go into /Applications each time to open it. Right-click -> Options -> Keep in Dock. As I already said, you can keep both open at the same time, if you like, and go back and forth from one to the other, just by clicking on its icon.

My 60.8 is above the newer 68.0.1.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 4.18.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 4.18.57 PM.png [ 51.56 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:34 pm 

Thanks for the explanation.

Hope you are having some of the nice weather we are having here in VT after that brutally hot spell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:36 pm 

Yeah, things got much better here. Btw, I made some edits, so be sure to look at the latest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 pm 

Update: realized that I could test the method recommended at bleeping by booting to one of my clones (and then restoring afterwards.) The takeaway: this method absolutely works, quick and painless. Wish I had known about it when I first moved everything over, a bit clumsily, from my FF60esr. Only thing is, this wouldn't take from a restart at about:profiles. Needed to manually quit then restart FF, and then everything from the selected profile was there.*

Btw, there is a small bug fix update to 68.0.2esr. But you can still use the link above, and then update.

*On further thought, could be, maybe, as the author reported may need several tries before it stcks. Still, would recommend using the manual quit/reopen procedure, before the about:profiles restart.

Last edited by WZZZ on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:42 pm 

Thank you SO much WZZZ.

I am going to do this this weekend.

We have been tied up with our ISP - they are doing a big switchover to fibre optic cable - put in the lines last summer - using a ditch witch to make a trench from our house down to the road for underground line (long driveway!).
Now it's time to hook it all up - and of course, there are problems.

Thanks again for the update and thanks for trying out the system.

You still can have both Firefoxes available, yes?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You're a champ W! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:25 am 

UPDATE:

Sorry, I spoke too soon when I said absolutely use this bleeping method. Yesterday, when I tested, I moved over/made default the already finished in-use profile from the 68.0.1esr, which deceptively made me think this would work properly, since everything had already been moved over there. Today, after trying again, but this time making the 60esr profile the default in the new 68esr, things turned out quite differently. For example, to name one thing, all my extensions/addons were present where they should be, and appeared to be working, in the navigation toolbar, but looking at the underlying Profile folder, "Extensions" shows up as zero KB. Nothing there. Very weird.

Besides that, compared to the Profile folder for the 68.0.1esr I've been using, there is a very truncated listing in the "new" 68.0.1esr. Not many items there. In addition to that, and I realize that this is most likely something you won't care about (but might sometime in the future) the CSS I'm using in userChrome.css and userContent.css (CSS modifies the appearance of things, like whether tabs are below or above the navigation toolbar) is kind of hit or miss.

Basically, a lot of funkiness and things that I can't explain. Not good. Definitely not good enough.

That said, you may be satisfied with the results of doing it this way for now, but longer term I think it may cause problems, and I would highly suggest NOT using this bleeping method. Instead, here's what you should do.

First, proceed as originally planned by getting the new 68.0.1esr, but don't do anything with it at all. Just open it (most likely "Firefox2.app") and quit it. Then go to its new Profile folder in your User Library->Application Support->Firefox->Profiles and open that up. It will be the one that's just been created, with a long string of characters "xxxxxxxx .default-esr" (mine was, for example, "5nb2jkzq.default-esr." With it open, select and move everything there to the Trash (empty the trash later.) Next, either from a disposable backup or, much preferred, from a duplicate of the original (right-click -> Duplicate), open up the Profile (same location) of the older FF60.8esr. This is the one you want to show up in the new 68esr. Select everything there -- from first item at top then Shift key down to last item at bottom, and move/drag everything in to the now empty 68esr Profile. After you see that everything's been dragged over, close it up. Next, open up the new FF68 (you can find this in /Applications or in Recent items), which should now be populated with everything you just moved over, and should be working. This is the way I originally did it. The duplicate Profile from which you dragged everything over will now be empty and you can also move it to the Trash.

Note: you may also see a file "xxxxxxx.opml" on the Desktop. This is a list of RSS feeds "live bookmarks" (if you had any). These are no longer working in the 68. You can just trash that.

Hope this is clear enough, and works for you. I dreaded having to describe this method, since it's not as simple as the bleeping one, and hope it won't introduce too much confusion. This is basically, if I recall, how I told you to get everything from FF into Waterfox. So you have that one under your belt.

Attachment:
duplicate.png
duplicate.png [ 60.12 KiB | Viewed 2468 times ]

Screenshot duplicate Profile with everything (as much as can be shown) top to bottom highlighted/selected. Note: items in yours will differ from mine -- to be expected.

Attachment:
profile copy highlighted.png [315.21 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by WZZZ on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:34 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
UPDATE:

Sorry, I spoke too soon when I said absolutely use this bleeping method. ...

Basically, a lot of funkiness and things that I can't explain. Not good. Definitely not good enough.

That said, you may be satisfied with the results of doing it this way for now, but longer term I think it may cause problems, and I would highly suggest NOT using this bleeping method. Instead, here's what you should do.

Yes WZZZ - as BDA said - you are a CHAMP!

This is to be my weekend project - and I will definitely follow your directions for the WZZZ method rather than the bleeping method!

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:40 pm 

The WZZZ method worked.

I am now running 68.2.0 esr with my old bookmarks from 60 in place thanks to you WZZZ!

It all went quite smoothly and was just the same as what you taught me in getting to Waterfox.

Looks like uBlock Origin and NoScript and exif viewer - my only 3 extensions came over with the new install when I brought along the profile - so everything seems to be in place as it was before!!

Now I just have to learn about the other browser (Brave) you suggested in the 2 weeks I have before Japan. I'll get back with questions in a day or so - probably write my question here where you said you had further info once I installed Brave.

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8703&p=114291&hilit=brave#p114291

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:21 pm 

Cool, you're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:49 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Yes, keep both in Applications, no problem. The new 68.0.1esr will be named Firefox 2.app, I believe (you can rename it to something else, but let's leave that alone for now.) You can run them side by side, even keep both open at the same time, since the new one has its own separate profile. If the procedure above works properly, everything bookmarks, logins, passwords, you name it, will be moved from the current 60.8esr into the new 68.0.1esr. The original 60.8esr will not lose anything by doing this. But no, because the profiles are separate. Once the new one is established, doing something in one will not affect the other. Later, if you like, you can move bookmarks and some other items from one to the other when they change to keep them in sync. But for now, let's keep it simple and not get into that....

I ran into Trouble when I updated Firefox on the road, as described here:
https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8770

I'd like to prevent this from being a continuing problem.
We just got home. When I updated the at home Macs, I used the update button in About Firefox and it worked smoothly and very quickly.

Firefox is working now on the travel MPB, where I had lots of problems initially as described in the other thread, and Mr H's MBP and my iMac at home, but what can I remove/delete as a result of my updating errors?

I have 2 copies of Firefox: Firefox (version 60 on the at home Macs, and a second copy of 68.3 on the travel MBP where the problem began) and Firefox 2 (the newer version, that I downloaded when I updated to v68)

Can I just delete Firefox (the old one) and rename Firefox 2 to Firefox? Will that allow me to download the update and drag it into the app folder and it will find Firefox (rather than Firefox 2 which it didn't find)?

When I am sure I've figured out which profile goes with the current, newest version (see the other thread), can I delete the older - not used now - profile?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 pm 

I know this isn't much of an answer, but reading through your question, profiles, versions, applications, my head is spinning. Just can't keep it all straight in my head. What I would do is keep the latest FF68.3, and if everything is there and working, its associated profile, whatever that is, plus the application, get rid of or archive everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:38 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
... my head is spinning. Just can't keep it all straight in my head. ...get rid of or archive everything else.

In my jet-lagged lack of sleep, sea sick feeling mind, I feared what I wrote was unclear - as you say it was.

However, you have answered the question - keep what works and I CAN get rid of all else - I just have to be sure which is the working profile.

I can do this for all 3 computers which now have Firefox 2 as the good, useful and uptodate FF and the older v60 Ff left over from before the big update switch to 68.

Thanks for cutting to the chase!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:40 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Yes, keep both in Applications, no problem. The new 68.0.1esr will be named Firefox 2.app, I believe (you can rename it to something else, but let's leave that alone for now.)

TROUBLE!

I hope I'm explaining this clearly. The main question is - can I ditch my current and older Firefox apps, install a fresh app and move the profiles from the old profile folder as you taught me to the new one? Is there anything else I need to move?

Now, you can read all of this if you want to know why and what's happening.

I made 2 backups of the iMac and made 2 more copies of the profile folder (which has 2 profiles just to confuse me, one default and one default-esr (one from 68 and one from v60) I should have listened to you before and deleted/archived everything that wasn’t being used.

I deleted the “2” on Firefox 2 hoping to prevent the update problem I had with the travel MBP. That sent the profile back to the older version of FF - the profile called default, which ended with bookmarks in October, which is how I could tell something was wrong.

So - for an easy fix - I’m hoping I can do this, but want to ask before I DO ANYTHING dumb.

Can I just put the 2 Firefox applications into a folder I name ‘old firefoxes’ or something else in the Application folder - and install a new Ff application to start from scratch with a new profile folder which I will then populated with my profile folder from the 68x Firefox (as you taught me) The 68 profile worked just fine until I removed the 2 in the name of the application that was 68.

If you say yes to my idea to start with a new app and a new profile name, the only other question is - what about all that other old info in the Firefox application support folder - see attachment. The only thing I can see that contains info is the crash report besides the profile, of course. I don’t know what is one the other docs. Should/could I copy the list of crash reports and bring it into the new application support folder as well? Do I need the old info?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:40 am 

Not sure I'm ready to wrap my head around all that, and I'm guessing that you are overthinking this. But if I understand correctly (and I very well may not), simply trash the two FF apps. They are no longer needed. Leave the current FF 68.3esr (or 4?) Folder with enclosed Profile completely alone where it is (in your user Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles. See screenshot below) Then install and open the latest FF 68.4.1, which includes a VERY important security patch against a critical vulnerability (a Zero-Day, the worst kind) which is being actively exploited. And by the way, STOP using Waterfox until it gets a patch.

Here is the new FF installer to download, open and then install the latest FF 68.4.1. You shouldn't have to do anything else.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... 4.1esr.dmg

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.35.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.35.07 PM.png [ 23.18 KiB | Viewed 1788 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52 pm 

Well, I sort of explained it well enough. Thank you for trying to make sense of my long explanation.
Trying to summarize my questions:

1.I really need to know if Firefox now needs the name default-esr on its profile folder. Since I got rid of the 2 it is now called Firefox and I hope when I come to do the next update I can drag the .dmg rather than using the updater.

2.And - maybe - can I drag the bookmarks from the folder that was working until yesterday into the old folder (default profile folder without the -esr)

The problem is the update running as it should be and I can use Firefox,
BUT the profile it is using (and I can tell by the missing bookmarks from the time we came home in December until yesterday) is the old one from v60xxx.

It shows me the bookmarks up until October 2019 but nothing beyond. And it is called default, not default-esr.
I don't know if the name makes a difference (with or without the -esr) but it began being the default apparently yesterday when I removed the "2" from the newer Firefox and put the old Ff version (60) into a folder in the applications folder so it wouldn't get updated when I dragged the .dmg to applications.

I looked at the contents of the 2 profile bookmark folders and the old bookmarks folder (and currently the one that is being used) begins with Sept 9 2019 (why it doesn't go back further I have no idea) - and goes to Oct 21 2019

The until yesterday, current folder (from the profile folder with the default-esr name) goes from Oct 5 to Jan 3.
For a few days the name of the bookmark document (is it a document?) is identical - numbers & letters everything. See attachments please
Attachment:
File comment: This is what has become the default bookmarks folder for Firefox (without the 2)
OLD bookmarkbackups folder now default.jpg
OLD bookmarkbackups folder now default.jpg [ 95.57 KiB | Viewed 1782 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: These bookmarks don't show up now with the updated version of Firefox (without the 2)
NEW bookmarkbackups folder but no longer default.jpg
NEW bookmarkbackups folder but no longer default.jpg [ 103.72 KiB | Viewed 1782 times ]

My first thought was to keep things as they are and drag the contents of the more complete bookmarkbackups folder into the other one and hope all gets moved OK.

But I don't know if doing so will effect anything else - and I don't know if it is important for the profile that is attached to the current v68 be titled default-esr, because the one that is working now with version 68 is the OLDER profile folder called default - and all of this is why I wondered about starting from scratch with a new v68.4.1 and copying the entire profile folder (from the one with the fullest bookmarkbackups) as you taught me when I first did the update.

Totally different question - Mr H asks: if Waterfox is off limits until the update, is there something out there I can download for him to use for Google maps. Firefox works fine for him for everything except Google maps for which he uses Waterfox. And we are in the throes of planning Japan for spring and he could use maps - I'll have to give him the iMac to use :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 pm 

Still not sure I'm getting all this. It may be clear to you but it isn't to me.

1. Do you have the xxxxx.default-esr profile anywhere, the one you were using before whatever you did in /Applications, or a copy somewhere? Or perhaps, even better, the entire FF folder with that xxxxx.default-esr profile before you did whatever in /Applications?

--Important, get the 68.4.1 dmg installer before you do anything, since you still need a working browser to get it.

2.If yes, then after getting the new installer, trash everything FF in /Applications (you are going to install a new FF app there -- no need to save anything there) and trash the entire FF folder, only if it's the one that doesn't contain the xxxxx.default-esr profile that you were using pre-screwup (see my screenshot above)--don't empty the Trash just yet. Then move the pre-screwup/good or whatever-happened-entire-FF-folder that contains the xxxxx.default-esr profile into your user /Library/Application Support.

3.Next, install and open the new FF68.4.1 from the link I gave you above. That should do it.

4.If the bookmarks aren't all there when you open the new FF, simply option-drag "places.sqlite" (only that file--this is where all the bookmarks live) from any desired profile backup to the current FF (with FF quit) to replace the current/lacking "places.sqlite"

Hope this helps.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 5.09.36 PM.png [99.31 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

As for Waterfox google maps, what about Chrome or Brave?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 pm 

WZZZ wrote:

1. Do you have the xxxxx.default-esr profile anywhere, the one you were using before whatever you did in /Applications, or a copy somewhere? Or perhaps, even better, the entire FF folder with that xxxxx.default-esr profile before you did whatever in /Applications?

--Important, get the 68.4.1 dmg installer before you do anything, since you still need a working browser to get it.

Yes, I have several copies of the good profile (up to date as of when I did the stupid name change) on desktop and in folders and on 2 HD backups and yes I downloaded the update 68.4.1 and have saved it as well.

I will try to follow your instructions early tomorrow morning and get back to you.
The reason for starting with a new Firefox is to get a new profile name that has that default-esr at the end of it - and to get a firefox that is just called Firefox. Having Firefox 2 really got things confused.

Thanks for telling me how to do what I hope will work - it should, because you know what to suggest, even if you can't understand my explanation of the mess.

Ill be back tomorrow if I have questions.

Thanks for the Chrome suggestion. His MBP is slow but Chrome should hopefully work for maps.
I found I had to resort to my Chrome 2 days ago, when a hotel I was trying to book in Japan wouldn't work on Firefox but easily accepted the data on Chrome. I do love the instant translate that chrome provides when I'm stuck with a Japanese hotel reservation page in Japanese only. The rates are better than going to their "English" pages sometimes!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:10 pm 

>>The reason for starting with a new Firefox is to get a new profile name that has that default-esr at the end of it - and to get a firefox that is just called Firefox. Having Firefox 2 really got things confused.

No, the new 68.4.1 will not be creating a new default-esr profile. It's going to be using the good "old" profile you move in before you even open it up. You won't give it a chance to create a new profile. This way you take care of 2 issues: your confusion about what to do with the existing FF apps -- you just trash them. Plus you get the newly patched FF app.