XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Home network
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am 

We have three iMacs in the house, all connected wirelessly to an AEBS. Up until now I've been able to use 'Go > Connect to server…' in order to be able to drag and drop files between any two of them as required.

Two of these machines are the late 2015 models now running 10.14.2 while the third is a mid-2007 Intel Core 2 Duo running Snowie, 10.6.8.

I can connect from the newer machines to the older one using afp://xxxxxxxx-imac.lan.
I can connect between the two newer machines using smb://xxxxxx-imac.lan

My understanding is that smb is the only way to connect now, with machines running Mojave.

However I can't connect from the older iMac to either of the newer ones. I keep getting a message to the effect that the name or password is incorrect, irrespective of whether or not afp or smb is used.

It's an irritation more than anything and I'm curious to know why the impasse exists. Can anyone say why this happens? Of course I can get files from the older iMac as described, so it's not completely out of reach over the network. I think I remember this being discussed here but can't find the thread. :oops:

Post subject: Re: Home network
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Did you disable AFP on Snowie?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm 

More than likely it's due to Mojave's CIFS server not supporting unencrypted SMB, which Snow Leopard requires. Windows 10 similarly has this restriction although it allows you to optionally install SMB 1.0 support and make it work. I very much doubt Apple cares at all about backwards compatibility.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
More than likely it's due to Mojave's CIFS server not supporting unencrypted SMB, which Snow Leopard requires. Windows 10 similarly has this restriction although it allows you to optionally install SMB 1.0 support and make it work. I very much doubt Apple cares at all about backwards compatibility.

Anything that contradicts Apple's walled garden ecosystem is being systematically removed from the OS. They want to force you into apple everything, but only modern apple everything. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 pm 

To be fair, I puzzled through adding SMB 1.0 support to Windows 10 on my own, since enabling 56-bit encryption and similar tricks from Windows 7/8 didn't work.

The problem with Apple is they stopped using Samba for CIFS/SMB support so there's a very minimal well of information about their closed-source CIFS/SMB implementation. At least if it was Samba you'd know which configuration file to modify where to revert their stupid change. Which is probably half the reason they dropped Samba.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:44 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I very much doubt Apple cares at all about backwards compatibility.

Ditto that.

On the bright side, at least I can use afp from within Mojave to get into the Snowie machine. Then I can drag/drop stuff between the two. It's only a one-way street as far as connecting's concerned. They haven't squeezed the life out of that capability yet.
Using thumb drives to transfer stuff back and forth is the long-winded way around, but if that's what's needed eventually, so be it.

The reason for all of this is that my wife has an iPod that I bought her in 2003. As well as a 30-pin-to-firewire lead it has great sentimental value for her. The Snowie machine has firewire. The newer ones don't. To put stuff on her iPod from CDs, I fire up the Snowie machine, attach an optical drive*, transfer albums to iTunes, attach her iPod … yawn … etc. Then I use drag and drop wirelessly to copy the albums to the newer iMacs.
We still have the Dock Connector that came with her iPod. If I attach a 30-pin-to-USB lead (the one that came with my last of the line iPod Classic) to the Dock with her iPod attached, then connect the USB end to my newer iMac, iTunes opens up but her iPod doesn't appear on the Desktop nor in the iTunes sidebar. Maybe it should/could but the iPod's battery holds little to no charge these days. It spends its useful life attached to an Altec Lansing twin-speaker dock - and sounds good.

(* The optical drive in the side of the Snowie iMac hasn't worked since 2013 when I had to send the machine away to have its failed hard drive replaced. I tried to get the outfit that did the deed to admit fault but got nowhere. The new HD is still fine.)

The bottom line is that I can still connect and drag and drop, so what am I beefing about? I tend to sweat the small details too much I guess.

Thanks for all of your replies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:45 am 

Oh I get it, I had a few weeks of having to do reverse connections from Windows to Mac using SMB sharing on Mac and it wasn't quite as convenient. Your tasks flow a certain way and when you change the flow it doesn't always work as fast and simple as it used to.

I like to be able to connect to anything from anything and when formerly open Macs become closed systems akin to Fire Sticks or iPads which can only make connections outbound you've really lost something of value.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:01 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I like to be able to connect to anything from anything and when formerly open Macs become closed systems akin to Fire Sticks or iPads which can only make connections outbound you've really lost something of value.

I see it as another turn of the ratchet, closing in on the point where the old Snowie machine will be isolated wirelessly from the other two. Doom!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:18 am 

I see it as a reason not to buy a new Mac. I already have all the closed systems I could ever want and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.