XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 pm 

Looks like at 5pm Friday a certificate expired in Firefox which causes most extensions to refuse to verify, which causes Firefox to then classify them as legacy extensions that it will refuse to allow to be enabled.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/03/a-gli ... xtensions/

Boy I'm sure glad that Mozilla is looking out for my best interests and not allowing me to enable extensions that Mozilla disabled due to a lapse in judgement/oversight. It certainly wouldn't make any sense to allow users to override this function in situations like this.

Being a nanny only works when you're responsible.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, I wonder if that is why FF's User Agent Switcher won't switch since Thurs sometime?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Nope User Agent Switcher works, User Agent Overrider quit, but once I used User Agent Switcher to undo Windows Phone FF then told me some Add-ons couldn't be verified... Youtube Video Downloader & Classic Theme Restorer, which it never bothered about telling me when it thought it was a Windows Phone.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 am 

What sucks is this may never get fixed for FF versions prior to 60 and the ESRs. Some of us have to have older versions due to needed extension support (in my case 1password, as the new version is subscription based and incompatible with 1p v4 or v5).

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:56 am 
Benevolent Dictator

In 51.0.1 I just used about: config>xpinstall.signatures.required>False

Attachments:
FFdevFix.gif
FFdevFix.gif [ 16.64 KiB | Viewed 2367 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:10 pm 

Just back home from Japan.

Open Firefox on iMac - told I need to update - currently on 60.5.2esr which is where it was when we left home in March.

I too am getting the warning about extensions being disabled and sure enough when I go to Add-ons Manager, all 5 of my extensions are listed as Legacy with (in red) could not be verified by Firefox and disabled.

NOW what?
Do I do the update even though it won't fix the problem? Stick with the older Ff and wait and see?
Just start using Chrome?
Gulp!

I found this:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/03/fir ... d-on-cert/

which may give hope? Wait and see what happens with a fix???

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:14 pm 

Yes you can disable signature checking in a lot of versions but unfortunately not the latest versions because their nanny mode is enforced now. Frankly I think the ultimate fix for this cockup is to create a setting that allows you to override that behavior. No matter how much it makes some people in Mozilla cry and pout and have temper tantrums, giving control to the user is always a good thing.

Looks like you have to share data with Mozilla and participate in "studies" then wait up to SIX HOURS for the update to get distributed to you.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... n-firefox/

Let's be honest. They forgot to renew a certificate. They want everyone to send them data to try to find some excuse to cover their ass. When you don't renew a certificate there's not much of an investigation needed. You forgot. It's your fault. Release new certs. Issue a full-on patch and be done with it.

Looks like you can avoid the six hour wait by just installing the XPI yourself:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19826903

Just did it myself and like magic all my extensions became enabled.

Mrs. H, I would set your system's date back to 5/1 and wait for a real fix to come out. You will also have to disable syncing the clock via the internet (it's also in the Date & Time system preference). Because you've traveled back in time the certificate is still valid and everything still works. Mostly. Except everything on your system will use the wrong date.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Anybody know why Waterfox 56.2.9 (64-bit) isn't complaining?

User Agent is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_6; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.20.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.4 Safari/533.20.27

While Firefox 21.0.1 did complain?

User Agent is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_6; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.20.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.4 Safari/533.20.27

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:13 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Looks like you can avoid the six hour wait by just installing the XPI yourself:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19826903

Just did it myself and like magic all my extensions became enabled.

Mrs. H, I would set your system's date back to 5/1 and wait for a real fix to come out. You will also have to disable syncing the clock via the internet (it's also in the Date & Time system preference). Because you've traveled back in time the certificate is still valid and everything still works. Mostly. Except everything on your system will use the wrong date.

I am assuming you know me well enough to know that I don't act hastily.
So - your second suggestion - addressed to me above - is the way to go.
Just by changing the date back I will get back to having the extensions un-disabled (is that a word - spell check doesn't think so)
"Because you've traveled back in time the certificate is still valid" - you are referring here to my resetting the clock - not my recent crossing of the international dateline - and I'm not kidding here, my brain is mush with jet-lag and I don't want to do anything wrong.
I thought if the system date was wrong - the computer freaked and caused other problems.

I opened my Waterfox - and all is still good there. I haven't updated in a while - gone since March - and it's not often used and is at 56.2.7.1 and it's nagging me to update (as is Firefox) but at least on Wf I have the extensions. WZZZ told me NOT to update the extensions there, so they are old - I'm worried esp about noscript and ublock origin, but even if old - they work.

Which should I use until this gets fixed??? No extension Ff with date set back, or out of date extensions working on Wf?
Thanks! I'm off to bed now - so no rush to answer though I'd like to resolve this by tomorrow morning if you have a chance.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:37 pm 

Setting your date back to 5/1 is euphemistically called "travelling back in time" - sorry, its geek humor gone awry.

If you set your clock back all your extensions will start working because the issue is entirely time & date driven. You can even set it further back but I imagine Mozilla will be pushing out a fix fairly soon for this with a major browser revision and not this stupid study patch thing. Which is still working fine on my system but I've read of reports of it not working so (sigh).

The downside to setting your date back is that everything on your system will think it's 5/1, so for a while your emails will get sent with the wrong date, files will be created with the wrong date, that kind of thing. Not the end of the world since it's only a couple days.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:33 am 

Mrs. H, no problem to do the WF update to 56.2.9 + the uBlockOrigin (that one should be kept updated) and NS there -- the NS 5.1.9, which should be the end of the line. As for any other addon updates in WF, depends, case by case. But anything not marked "legacy" should be considered for updating.

(The big headache with WF is on the way for the end of summer, when it stops using the 56ESR and goes to the 68. This will means that by default, it will no longer be able to use the older "legacy" XUL addons, the main reason I use WF. The dev and maybe some others will be porting over some of the most "popular" ones (not all of mine can be considered "popular") so they can continue to be used. No idea yet what's involved in coding those to continue working, and whether it's something I'll be able to do.)

MB: re. setting the clock back, realize it's temporary, but won't that interfere with https connections, thus breaking a lot of sites, or anything else secure requiring certificates?

Doesn't look like WF is affected.

Just checked Firefox 60ESR. After enabling studies yesterday, looks like it's now fixed.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:40 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
In 51.0.1 I just used about: config>xpinstall.signatures.required>False

Unfortunately that didn't work. Still has µBlock and Flash video downloader disabled. Nothing seems to restore either and using a later µBlock causes problems (it's a µBlock issue that was never fixed).

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

What version of FF?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:18 pm 

Can't give the links at the moment, but there are updates to 60.6.2esr and 66.0.4.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Code:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/60.6.2/releasenotes/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/66.0.4/releasenotes/

Android...

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/66.0.4/releasenotes/

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:31 am 

BDAqua wrote:
What version of FF?

52.0.1. If I move to the newer versions I need to also move to the newer 1password X extension, which requires a subscription to work as it only works with the newer 1password 6+ versions. This may force my hand in exporting my 1password data into an excel CSV file and importing it into Lastpass. Bit of a bitch considering how well integrated 1password is, but they're getting greedier and greedier and I'm sick of subscriptions. Too many to manage nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ouch... I don't care for subscriptions either, but seems the way the world is headed full force.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:10 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Mrs. H, no problem to do the WF update to 56.2.9 + the uBlockOrigin (that one should be kept updated) and NS there -- the NS 5.1.9, which should be the end of the line. As for any other addon updates in WF, depends, case by case. But anything not marked "legacy" should be considered for updating.

(The big headache with WF is on the way for the end of summer, when it stops using the 56ESR and goes to the 68.
Just checked Firefox 60ESR. After enabling studies yesterday, looks like it's now fixed.

Has all been fixed now for Ff? uBlock and NS work in Firefox esr? I read Squishy Tia’s report and wondered.
Time to update Firefox??

WZZZ wrote:
Mrs. H, no problem to do the WF update to 56.2.9 ... and NS there -- the NS 5.1.9, which should be the end of the line.

I did the WF update to 56.2.9 as you suggest.
You know things - so, please, let me ask…
The WF update solved the legacy/disabled add-ons which were listed as disabled in WF until I did the update.

BUT - when I clicked check for updates, it didn’t show any for NS.
My NS in WF is stopped at 5.1.8.4 and showing ‘no updates found’ in the add-ons manager.
Am I missing something?

When I search for NS updates for Waterfox, Google’s entry found this for me:
Attachment:
Noscript add-on link from Waterfox.jpg
Noscript add-on link from Waterfox.jpg [ 86.29 KiB | Viewed 2317 times ]

but it’s info is about Firefox - and my Ff is v60.5.2 at the moment. So it’s more or less correctly reading info from Waterfox which is the browser I was using, but it's not right about that version (telling me I am using Firefox 57) and I don't know what to do next???

Were you able to update WF's NS to 5.1.9??

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I get this for WF 56.2.9, but have...
Classic Add-ons Archive Catalog of classic Firefox add-ons created before WebExtensions apocalypse.
Turns out it's not really No-Script.

Attachments:
WF56noScript.gif
WF56noScript.gif [ 54.28 KiB | Viewed 2315 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Might try LuLu in it's place, not Browser specific...

https://objective-see.com/products/lulu.html

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:34 pm 

I found this via reddit here - last post I think:
https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... t_for_old/

Is it the way to get the version you refer to WZZZ?

https://noscript.net/getit#older

Scroll down to:
You can still download NoScript "Classic" (5.1.9) for Palemoon, Seamonkey, Waterfox and possibly other "vintage" (pre-Gecko 57) Firefox forks here: we'll do our best to provide security fixes as long as supporting browser still guarantee their own security updates.

Notice: you may need to open about:config and set your xpinstall.signatures.required preference to false in order to install NoScript 5.x, since Mozilla doesn't support signatures for legacy add-ons anymore.

I don't exactly understand where I do the about:config thing but someone here will certainly tell me, if this is, indeed, the way to go.

Thanks BDA for the suggestion. Before I try to learn a new blocker - and then pass on my new-found knowledge to Mr H - I'd love to see if there is a solution for NS first.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:01 pm 

Link for NoScript 5.1.9. Will install directly from this link after you allow it.

https://secure.informaction.com/downloa ... -5.1.9.xpi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:05 pm 

Quote:
Classic Add-ons Archive Catalog of classic Firefox add-ons created before WebExtensions apocalypse.

It comes up as noscript lite, whatever that is, because you searched for "no-script", "no hyphen script." Try entering "NoScript", no hyphen. Works for me, except doesn't offer any of the newer versions. No 5.1.9. For that, link in post above.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks W, spot on. :coffee: :D

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm 

BDAqua wrote:

Heh. Looks like the CA Archive only installs on Waterfox. Firefox is preventing installation regardless of my settings because it can't be "verified". Fucking mozilla.