XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 pm 

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8398&p=109915#p109869
describes the physical layout of the network.

I'll try it with those numbers but I have never needed to do any configuration of this network, it has always been plug and play, even when we switched ISPs 2 years ago.

Actually when I checked that computer an hour ago I have it running over Airport right now but under ethernet it was saying it could not detect a cable. I was dusting wires in that area and I really wonder if it is a connection somewhere. I tried with a different cable and a different port on the switch but still no cable detected. My iMac is plugged into that same switch and the connection has been rock solid, so I really am thinking along the lines that the port itself is starting to go. Earlier this morning it was saying it detected a cable but couldn't get an IP, now it is just saying no cable.

Last edited by Limnos on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 pm 

If a computer gets assigned a 169 address it by definition will never have a default gateway because it only gets a 169 address if it can't contact a DHCP server.

Although I once saw some ISP-provided equipment that was configured to use 169, that's almost never the case.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:17 pm 

Are you able to temporarily try connecting the cable coming from the ONT in the basement directly to the QS and see if it gets an IP lock? Eliminating devices from the equation seems to be the best way to tackle this. I know it means lugging the QS + display to where the cable to the ONT is but it's a necessary troubleshooting step. If it works when directly connected to the ONT, then try plugging the QS directly into the router. If it works there, then it can only be one of two things causing the problem: One of the ports on the router is now dead, or the switch is malfunctioning. If it works in all locations except where the QS normally sits and you have not yet changed cables, then it's the cable that needs to be replaced.

Just a warning for the future: Snaking an ethernet cable through an air duct instead of alongside it subjects it to some rather extreme temperature variations, which can cause damage to it over a much shorter timespan than would normally ever happen in room temperature environments.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm 

And if you run it through an air duct you should use a plenum cable and not a regular cable. In some places it's required by fire code, but its always a good idea even if its not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:39 pm 

This is the return air duct. No extreme temperature variations. Basically whatever temperature the house happens to be at that time of year. The cable is actually traveling up through the interior of the return air duct, entering in the basement through a small hole that already existed in it, then exiting through the grate on the floor of the second level after traveling maybe 16 feet (10' of which is a vertical run).

This is not a plenum airspace as it is outlined in https://www.lanshack.com/pdf/PlenumVsRiser.pdf where the airflow is through the structural components, unless you include the actual metal duct interior as plenum.

I reported earlier having tried connecting the main feed from downstairs directly to the QS but no change in performance. It isn't the switch or its ports. I have my iMac running off the switch with no issue and I even swapped the QS to the port my iMac was using.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 pm 

So your air return is completely vented to the outside? Plenum refers to plenum ceilings, which (if its used) is normally a return air path because otherwise (if it's an exhaust) you're paying to cool/heat the ceiling in addition to the livable space. I currently work in, and have worked in, buildings with plenum ceilings - and given my job I kind of have to know this stuff.

Before I leave this thread (tired of attitude), I figured I'd leave these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173538199164
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

Though you could probably fix it with a 10/100 switch for less. Buy one, the other, or hell buy both, and find out. It's not like 10/100 is crazy expensive.

G4 -> 10/100 switch -> cable run to other switch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 pm 

This is a longshot, but have you tried flushing your DNS cache yet?

You'd use this command in terminal and (preferrably) reboot:

Code:
lookupd -flushcache

Assuming no actual hardware or cable issues, this might do the trick seeing as your DNS/gateway settings aren't working properly on just that one Mac.

You also never mentioned the model of the router, or at least I didn't see it. Knowing this might help us figure out if something got thrown out of whack, such as a MAC address filter somehow being triggered.

Another test you could perform is to create a new user account with administrator privileges and see if you can get the ethernet working that way. If so, then you've got some work ahead of you figuring out just what in your user folder or system prefpanes is screwing you over on your primary account.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:15 am 

The heat/cooled air comes out of the furnace through ducts to vents in various locations in the house. On the opposite side of the room are other vents with a separate set of ducts that go back to the furnace (it is through one of these the cable goes and then exits in the basement through a hole in the duct before it gets close to the furnace). So the treated air is just recirculating and the air in the return air duct is what was in a room being sent back for reheating or re-cooling. In theory no circulation takes place in the spaces between the floors-ceilings or walls -- there is no plenum. We're talking a 100 year old house here so the system isn't 100% tight and there's probably minor circulation there and of course some air loss to the outside through gaps, and what is lost through the furnace chimney. There is also a fresh air intake in the basement but it is just a piece of ductwork leading to the outside of the house and ending with an open end in the basement area. I doubt there air loss through it because in winter you can feel cold air entering to replace what is being lost.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:53 am 

Squishy Tia:

Tried the flush command, rebooted, no change.

It is now consistently showing the 'no cable connected' message. I yet again tried plugging the main feed directly into the computer, taking the switch completely out of the path, and still 'no cable'. I tried an old cable labeled "category 5e patch" and still nothing. Since things have been progressively getting worse and it isn't even occasionally showing the 'cable connected' message now I really think it's the port itself getting worse and worse. Internet work fine over airport, just not ideal given that it only offers WPA security. OTOH I am not doing anything with that computer that really needs any security.

It's a CenturyLink C2100T router. In the devices window it does show the QS as being connected now by wireless, and in the "inactive" window it shows the QS as having been connected by Ethernet.

I stopped running my scripts in the other account on my iMac and the display sleep issue seems to have gone away. It's kind of annoying fast user switching in Mavericks allows activity in a secondary account influence display sleep when it isn't part of what is happening in the currently active account. It may have been the "frontmost" command I had to introduce into a script since apparently the "activate" command no longer worked the same way it did in Tiger OS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:20 am 

This is how the Ethernet cable leading through the house is labeled. Black print on yellow cable.

E321660 S(?)U AWM 2835 24AWG 60°C 30V TIA/EIA 5688 2 UTP CAT6 Rapid Conn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:37 am 
Master

As long as you house doesn't burn down, plenum vs. non-plenum won't matter. If your house does burn down, it also might not matter.

In large commercial spaces smoldering cable can generate lots of dangerous noxious fumes that you don't want getting pumped back through the air circulation systems. In your house, the circumstances where fumes from a single Ethernet cable would be seriously worrisome are probably dwarfed by the circumstances that would cause it to start smoldering in the first place.

IANAFM* let alone your fire marshall. As always, you should follow all local fire regulations.

Also, it sounds like the Ethernet port is toast. I'd try a PCI card.

I haven't kept up on this thread. I trust you've reset the PRAM? I've had PRAM problems cause Ethernet ports to behave oddly.

- Anonymous

* I Am Not A Fire Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:06 am 

You mean don't sweat in consideration of all the knob and tube wiring we have upstairs? I like your way of thinking.

Will do PRAM in a bit. Right now have in-laws arriving to distract me from fossil Macs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:16 pm 

Issue resolved.

Reset PRAM but didn't help.

I bought a Startech ST1000BT32 1 port gigabit Ethernet card for $10. It has taken me a while because I didn't want to have to pay for shipping so it waited until we had accumulated enough items for free shipping with Amazon. The Amazon description says it is compatible with Mac OS 10.4, but the manual in the box makes no mention of Macs and says very specifically the driver installation directions are only for Windows. For a second there I thought "Uh-oh" and was getting ready to send it back, but it turns out the card needs a Mac driver which I am not used to with Mac cards. Again, the manual makes no mention of this. There was a CD in the box but I assumed it only had the Windows drivers as mentioned in the manual. Anyway, after poking around Startech's support page for a bit I finally noticed Mac drivers (for 10.4 and 10.5) and downloaded one (maybe there was one on the CD but it was easier to just download one). Installed, rebooted, and after that it took about 20 seconds with System Preferences > Network and it was recognized and fully functional.

Thanks to all who helped!

[Edited for better clarity.]

Last edited by Limnos on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, great work, thanks for filling us in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 pm 
Master

Good to hear it's working again.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:17 pm 

Good ol' Realtek. :coffee:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
In particular, the RTL8139 series 10/100M Fast Ethernet controllers reached their height during the late 1990s, and continued to take up a significant, and eventually predominant share in the worldwide market in the following years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realtek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:09 pm 

Their little crab logo is so easy to spot.