XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:33 pm 

AARGH,

I just installed Firefox 60.2.0esr - moving up from v52x esr.
Everything looks good, however...

I can get bookmarks to take me to a website which is how I got here.
But not when I try to go via Google.

I must be doing something wrong.

I put in the item to search for, no problem, it gives me results, but the search items can't be clicked and go anywhere - the google address bar stays with google's address and seems to add to it the addy of the place I'm trying to get. So I go nowhere.

If, for example, I search for accelerate your mac, and click on it the address bar shows:
https://www.google.com/search?complete= ... cXQHSL4SbM

This is my home page google - which does not do auto complete:
https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0

If you look at what clicking the site I want to get to gives me, it's the home page google addy with the new sought after addy connected.

HELP!

Last edited by Mrs H on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:20 pm 

Do any search engines work? Restart FF in safe mode.Quit FF, then Option key down at startup. Select startup with all addons disabled and test google. Or if Option start no longer works in FF 60, enter about:profiles in address bar and select restart with addons disabled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:56 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

If you copy the search link & paste it in the URL bar & hit enter, does that work?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:56 pm 

It sounds like you have something configured in FF that is blocking redirects, which is how Google works. It's either via an addon you have installed or a variable somewhere in FF that's doing it.

I don't have 60 on my system (or any version of Quantum for that matter) because it looks and feels like absolute hot garbage mixed with flaming shit, but perhaps do a keyword search in about:config for something like "redirect". Either way, something you've got running or configured is blocking Google. Would probably block Bing too. That'd be a good test - try Bing and DuckDuckGo and see if they work. If not, at least you've narrowed it down to something that is purposely blocking Google's redirects.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Do any search engines work?....

Yes Duckgoduck works fine.

I haven't had a chance to test your other recommendations yet - will do later this evening, dinner time now.

btw searching in Google maps also doesn't work - no search bar even offered.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
If you copy the search link & paste it in the URL bar & hit enter, does that work?

Yes, that works.
And bookmarks all work in Google.
As I just reported to WZZZ, Google maps doesn't work either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:46 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
It sounds like you have something configured in FF that is blocking redirects, which is how Google works. It's either via an addon you have installed or a variable somewhere in FF that's doing it....That'd be a good test - try Bing and DuckDuckGo and see if they work. If not, at least you've narrowed it down to something that is purposely blocking Google's redirects.

That redirect sounds like a good thing to search for, will do so later this evening - don't know where to begin though.
Duckgoduck works just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm 

Poking around online, I found folks with a search problem getting the advice to
"delete the search.json, search-metadata.json, search.sqlite file in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed"

I do have these files in my profile - since they came over from the older 52esr.
I'm not going to try something like this without running the thought by you all first.
Thoughts?

We get the search items shown, just clicking on them doesn't produce.
Here's what we see if I put apple into google search,
apple - Google search (in little tab thingie on top of menu bar) but links don't link

Gotta go to dinner.
Be back later...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:32 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
WZZZ wrote:
Do any search engines work?....

Yes Duckgoduck works fine.

I haven't had a chance to test your other recommendations yet - will do later this evening, dinner time now.

btw searching in Google maps also doesn't work - no search bar even offered.

If you're not even getting a search bar, your adblocker is blocking its element. Noscript can do that as well, so check there too. Disable the adblocker for google maps and see if you get that bar back. I bet if you do, it's also interfering with Google search as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:23 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
If you're not even getting a search bar, your adblocker is blocking its element. Noscript can do that as well, so check there too. Disable the adblocker for google maps and see if you get that bar back. I bet if you do, it's also interfering with Google search as well.

search field isn't there for maps, but is for Google. It's with Google that the items aren't clickable.
Here's what we get when I put apple into search field - the search box name?:
Attachment:
search google for apple.jpg [354.79 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

But if we click on any item as we used to do, it doesn't do anything except add the website link to the google search bar along with the google url but it doesn't know where to go so goes nowhere.

I tried disabling ublock Origin or noscript- neither helped - still not certain how the new noscript works.

Your idea about redirecting not working is interesting, but the prefs are the same as they were before updating and redirecting wasn't blocked. Don't know where to look for it.

IF I RIGHT click on the item and select - open link in new window that works - but still maps doesn't.
I don't like having to do the right click, there has to be a solution.

Last edited by Mrs H on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 pm 

This is what we see when we open Google maps - the place on the left where we used to be able to enter search items is missing.
It shows New England because that's where we are - it usually focuses in on our city, but I zoomed out in the name of caution.

Attachment:
google map page.jpg [134.62 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

those 3 little dots keep alternating as if it's waiting... (as am I!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:50 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Do any search engines work? Restart FF in safe mode.Quit FF, then Option key down at startup. Select startup with all addons disabled and test google. Or if Option start no longer works in FF 60, enter about:profiles in address bar and select restart with addons disabled.

YES!
Brilliant.
Google works as it should and Google Maps allows me to search with a place to type in what I'm looking for - just the way it used to.

Now what?
Figure out by disabling each add-on which one is causing the trouble?

It might be that mystery plugin I didn't ever see before:
Widevine Content decryption module provided by Google inc (Play back protected web video) - this showed up after the update to 60.
Only other plugin is disabled:
Open H264 video codec provided by Cisco Systems Inc, disabled (an ancient Mozilla plugin that appeared ages ago that I disabled ages ago and am still carrying for no clear reason)

Only extensions:
Exif Viewer
NoScript
uBlock Origin
(Adblock Plus is disabled)

EDIT:
NoScript is the culprit - I completely disabled it from add-ons manager and Google works.
Now I have to figure out what part of it is the problem since I hope it's not the whole bloody thing.
I tried it last of course. Nothing else when disabled made the slightest difference.
Bedtime - tomorrow's job is to sort out noscript problem and I bet if I could find the source of the redirect problem I'd have it solved.

This is the best I could find by looking through the many fewer options on noscript from the older version.

I don't know if this helps in figuring out why things don't work:
Attachment:
google prefs on noscript.jpg [93.39 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Can anyone (WZZZ??) check their noscript settings to see what you have for the google stuff. These all came as is when I did the update either they are defaults or left over from pre 60esr (from 52esr)

Still Google doesn't work here - fine on duck though and using the right click open link does work for the suggestions on the google search page.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:48 am 

There's more, but something to get you started. Since I'm now using the 60.2 much more often than before, I'm still finding my way with some of the definitions for presets (below). Good place to ask further questions (I'm no authority) https://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=7

Once you get the hang of the new UI, not that much different for basic use than the earlier NoScript 5 versions.

SCREENSHOTS

What you set in Options are the presets. Default, trusted, untrusted, custom (see below for custom.)

Available from NS icon at top -> Options

How my Google is set:

Attachment:
NS per site google.png [92.13 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Default, used when nothing less restrictive is set.

Attachment:
NS default.png [72.44 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Trusted, automatically used when site itself (not all its scripts) is allowed

Attachment:
NS trusted.png [83.53 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

From the NS icon in menubar, hover mouse to see what each is for

Attachment:
NS buttons tooltips.png
NS buttons tooltips.png [ 19.79 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]

Attachment:
NS custom access (if wanted).png
NS custom access (if wanted).png [ 85.28 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]

Attachment:
NS custom preset.png
NS custom preset.png [ 34.58 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]

DEFINITIONS OF PRESETS

script - JavaScript, e.g. <script> tags

object - plugin objects

media - HTML5 audio/video

frame - subdocuments, e.g. <frame> and <iframe>

font - remote fonts

webgl - WebGL

fetch - whether other sites can make XMLHttpRequest and Fetch request to this site

other - requests where Firefox cannot identify the request type (ref https://hackademix.net/2017/12/04/noscr ... ment-39964)

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:04 am 

Continued:

Attachment:
NS Untrusted preset.png [80.31 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:06 am 

Thank you WZZZ, I'm still going through your stuff. I also read this last night which helped me understand what the icons are, but still no luck for a fix:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/13/noscr ... irefox-57/

When I compare yours and mine for per-site permissions for google, I see we don’t even have the same “sites” (I’m saying we because Mr H is experiencing the very same issues and has the same settings.

your first one https://ajax.googleapis.com in green! - we don’t even have
my …maps.googleapis.com is green (I don’t know the dif between red and black type and red and green lock icon yet)
my …google.com is green

And I have a few more google sites - my attachment is in the above message just following my red note.

I have looked at options before but didn’t know what to make of them, which is why I asked - and thank you so much for giving me - for a copy of what to enter.

I’m going to copy what I have and change them one by one to your settings to see if it helps.
I’m recording here also how things were at installation before I changed things to your settings.

For DEFAULT - your screen shot shows TRUSTED as it does under trusted as well. I couldn’t find your default.
On mine, just other is checked in Default setting and who knows what other is - maybe other is a problem, based on what you say it means.

Your TRUSTED frame, font and fetch.
Mine fetch and other are checked (again, what could other be the problem?)

Our UNTRUSTEDs match.

I’ll try matching yours first for the above.

When you can, can you take a screen shot of Default for me

Thank you so much - this is such a bummer and I hope I’ll solve it with your help!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:14 am 

For Google per site. Just go to google.com, click on the NS icon and set the following. This should get Google search and maps (gstatic) working. (My other settings shown for Google came about on different occasions, I suppose.)

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 12.11.56 PM.png [94.96 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:22 am 

Thank you for this, I tried, but no luck.

WZZZ wrote:
For Google per site. Just go to google.com, click on the NS icon and set the following. This should get Google search and maps (gstatic) working. (My other settings shown for Google came about on different occasions, I suppose.)

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 12.11.56 PM.png

My 2 - same words - were green with black writing - I clicked on each of the 2 to make them red to match yours -
Still no luck.
I can get to the search terms, but clicking on any of the links just doesn't do it - the addy is added to the google addy in the bar.
Maps doesn't show a search option either as described above.

:confused: :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:28 am 

Still fussing with the options for trusted as you have them - fetch etc,

What is your Default - (you didn't show a screen shot above - confusing trusted with default which I just did as well I think)? mine was just other - but now it shows fetch - I think I thought I was changing Trusted, but changed default which I noted above was only Other checked off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:47 am 

The only quick workaround I've found (besides the right click to open in a new window for google searches) is an unsafe option I suspect.

If I click disable restrictions for this tab - Google works, and same for Google maps.
But I don't think this is a good idea - esp for going to links on searches which is what we are doing ...
Attachment:
enable restrictions.jpg
enable restrictions.jpg [ 10.74 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]

lunch time.
This is soooo frustrating. Mr H is now learning to use Safari!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:49 am 

Sorry, my Default screenshot above was posted in error. Think it was the Trusted. My Default has nothing checked or allowed.

Not sure what's wrong or where to go from here. Going to google.com gets me the search page with a field to enter an item. Allowing google.com and gstatic.com should have gotten it working. Also, since your NoScript settings should have been imported from the 52esr, open the 52esr up and see what's allowed for google in NS Options -> Whitelist. Somehow, I don't think you've quite learned how to allow those two google domains properly in NS 10

Unless I can think of something else, I'm out of ideas. Best bet now would be to ask over at the NoScript forum linked above.

EDIT: actually, even if I set google search, google.com, to Default (nothing allowed), or Untrusted (same thing) it still works, except I get the non JavaScript page.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:24 am 

SOLUTION FOR GOOGLE ONLY ON iMac NOT on Mr H's MBP and MAPS still doesn't work.
Well, I fixed Google on the iMac, but maps still isn't working. And what fixed it on the iMac was already installed in per-site permissions on the MBP and yet it doesn't work there.

I saw you had one google listing in per-site permissions on your google list above that I didn't have:
ajax.googleapis.com

I researched what it was (necessary to make google work) added that to my list of per-site permissions, made it to match yours in color and Google now works!

Your Google maps doesn't look like this with the left side of the page blank, with no search bar or info??

Attachment:
google map page.jpg [134.62 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Can you, please, look at your per-site list and see if anything else has to do with maps other than maps.googleapis.com which I have.

WZZZ wrote:
... Going to google.com gets me the search page with a field to enter an item. Allowing google.com and gstatic.com should have gotten it working....Also, since your NoScript settings should have been imported from the 52esr, open the 52esr up and see what's allowed for google in NS Options -> Whitelist. Somehow, I don't think you've quite learned how to allow those two google domains properly in NS 10...

I don't know the difference between red and green little locks in the list of per-site permissions.
I made my red ones green and green ones red and it didn't change anything.
I kept things as you have them - red or green.

I don't know if that has anything to do with allowing maps.

How do I open 52esr? I do have a backup of the iMac before I updated to 60, but I don't think that's what you mean. I didn't keep 52 running on the iMac since I thought you folks had said not to - but maybe my memory was wrong - and when you mentioned vulnerability with 52, I wanted to ditch 52 asap. I don't have both running here. I do have the profile for 52esr tucked safely away in a folder in documents, but I can't open that and find anything useful.

I did check my screen shots taken of setting for noscript before the update, and have my white list copied, but it just shows what was whitelisted. I made sure that all the items related to google were on the update (but there was no ajax.googleapis.com in the original and that missing thing caused the problem with google it seems.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:51 am 

Several things:

-what version NoScript are your using in the 60esr? Check for updates and update if necessary.

-get latest version here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

-latest is 10.9.1 even if you are using that, reinstall it from top of that page.

-just a guess, flush the dns cache for el cap. In Terminal sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
Hit enter/return, then give admin password, which you won't see in any form in the window, then hit enter/return.

-or if not wanting to use Terminal, get Onyx for el cap (or sierra) from here https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html and download/install the version you need

-Open it, let "important information" page load, the quit that and hit cancel when it asks to verify disk structure. No need to go through that. Then go to
Attachment:
onyx.png
onyx.png [ 124.32 KiB | Viewed 38 times ]

For example:

Attachment:
google x704.net.png [327.84 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Also, what do you see in what's left of the status bar in 60 when you get a google search result? If you hover the mouse over the result to you see it below in the now very truncated status bar? And then when you click on a link from a result, what happens. Do you get "javascript void" or "done" immediately, or do you see "read..." then "waiting" "transferring...." go by very quickly? Try this on some other links.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:46 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Several things:

-latest is 10.9.1 even if you are using that, reinstall it from top of that page.

-just a guess, flush the dns cache for el cap. ...get Onyx for el cap (or sierra) from here https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html and download/install the version you need...

Also, what do you see in what's left of the status bar in 60 when you get a google search result? If you hover the mouse over the result to you see it below in the now very truncated status bar? And then when you click on a link from a result, what happens. Do you get "javascript void" or "done" immediately, or do you see "read..." then "waiting" "transferring...." go by very quickly? Try this on some other links.

I noticed that google.analytics wasn’t in the list of per-site permissions and I remember that I deleted that a while back, so I put it back - no change.

Weirder that Mr H’s MBP did not take to the solution for Google (not maps) that worked on the iMac - adding your ajax.googleapis.com

I did have the most recent NS version - 10.9.1 - but re-upped it as you said - "add to firefox" from the link.
It took a second, I don’t know that it did anything, but it shows on prefs page in add-on mgr for extensions as updated Sept 7 - so it did something.

I’ve downloaded onyx.
DNS cache?? Showing my ignorance here: we use our ISP locally. I know BDA keeps talking about changing the DNS numbers to something else to speed things up - does this have anything to do with any of that? I certainly don’t want to change any of our internet ISP settings. It won’t effect anything else by deleting the cache, will it???

To answer your other questions first.
"Also, what do you see in what's left of the status bar in 60 when you get a google search result? If you hover the mouse over the result to you see it below in the now very truncated status bar?"
I don't see anything - but I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.
When I hover the mouse - it looks like a cursor - over the search result line, it doesn't show anything at the bottom where the status info usually flies by.

"And then when you click on a link from a result, what happens. Do you get "javascript void" or "done" immediately, or do you see "read..." then "waiting" "transferring...." go by very quickly? Try this on some other links."

status bar on iMac, which now works for google shows very quickly:
Waiting.../transferring.../looked up.../transferring...

ON the MBP, it's a different story.
When I click on a link in the apple search results, in the status bar it shows https:// google..... and goes through the google addy and then adds to that the addy for the link I'm trying to get to - I keep using Apple as my test site. So it shows - and it doesn't change or go anywhere quickly in the status bar because it's not attempting to link to anything - it just shows the google addy followed by the Apple addy.

AND maps, just doesn't work unless we click the "disable restrictions for this tab" button - or start in safe mode - for both of us.

Thank you so much for taking the time for helping with this. I'll move on to ONYX once I hear further from you. I bet you knew I'd choose that rather than terminal.

I really wonder if there is some sub-site (are they sites?) like that ajax thing that just got lost and that's what is causing the problem. But I don't know how to find what or where. It was just lucky that I spotted it in your screen shot of per-site permissions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 pm 

flushing dns cache has zero effect on whatever your isp is doing. Completely local to your particular machine. Only a guess, no idea if it will help, but can't hurt.

I strongly suggest you register and start asking all this at the NoScript forum. I really don't think I can go any further with this.

https://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=7

mod. barbaz over there is very knowledgeable and always willing to help. I'm betting that he can figure out what's going on and set things right.

Don't get into all the weeds right away. Start by saying that google search results don't go anywhere when clicked, but do when NS is completely disabled or or set to restrictions disabled for this tab.

Hint: since you may decide to go somewhere else, stop using the term "addy," it's not employed or recognized everywhere. Can lead to confusion in this context. Better "URL" or just plain "link."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm 

Plugging along I fixed MAPS!!!
Custom (for google.com) and I checked webgl and the maps search bar works on both the iMac and the MBP.

Thanks for all your help - I'm not giving up on my own resources yet. One more night of trying to fix Google on the MBP and then I'll turn tothe forum as you suggest. It may be a google thing more than a noscript thing - but I'll follow your advice (and use your words, and leave out my favorite term "addy")