XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Safari Databases
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:26 am 

Every now and then I clear out the muck that accumulates in Safari - the stuff I find in: Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data…

I select all then click on 'Remove'. Of 495 items in the list, 117 stubbornly remain and defy attempts to remove them. They all refer to 'Databases'. E.g. 'allmusic.com' has 'Databases' underneath.

Any idea how I could remove them? I'm sure they have no value for me personally.

I have found dtabases here: ~/Library/Safari/Databases/_IndexedDB (129 folders - not 117 ! )

Is it safe to trash them? I assume this stuff gets rebuilt according to the surfing that ensues.

Post subject: Re: Safari Databases
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:27 pm 

Found the following at ASC, which I believe I used successfully some time ago.

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Local Storage.

Delete the contents of the folder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:55 am 

Thanks, WZZZ, that cleared the Databases out.

What, specifically, do the databases contain? Surfing history, number of visits to sites? More/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:55 am 

Good question. I rarely use Safari and only encountered this on one occasion. But searching around, found
https://mac-optimization.bestreviews.ne ... ming-back/

Scroll down to What Are Those Database Files

Haven't gone too deeply into this, since as said my Safari use is minimal, but looks like certain things, mainly JavaScript it seems, get cached to speed up site loading on the next visit. I have the Develop option in my Safari by which I can empty caches, among other things. Don't remember if this Database crap wasn't removed by doing that. Probably wasn't, since I had to find the instructions I gave you. Forget now how I got that, but should be easy to find.

(Btw, would stay far, far away from totally worthless and dangerous CleanMyMac, MacKeeper, or anything else recommended there--malware or pure data destroying garbage.) The site, while giving some information on the topic, seems to exist to shill these garbage products.)

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.51.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.51.33 AM.png [ 152.11 KiB | Viewed 34 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:34 am 

Thanks, WZZZ.

Somehow, the way it's explained in that article, it doesn't sound too creepy, but I'll bet that I'd have preferred not to have some of that stuff stored on my machine. You will get the correct impression here that I don't entirely know what I'm talking about. It's just my cynical, suspicious nature that guides me.

As for Mac K … mustn't even write its name! … no worries. I have been well warned about that. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:33 am 

Yep, basically if I can't really identify what it is, and/or can't see any real benefit, I just get rid of it. In fact, whenever I quit Safari I get rid of everything it picked up for that that session, and for all time, since it's my single use browser.

My thinking is that Firefox is the safer, least privacy intrusive browser -- with the caveat that all the "telemetry" -- data sending shenanigans to Mozilla-- I can find in ”about:config" is disabled. Btw, besides still supporting all the older addons, none of that crap is enabled by default in the Waterfox fork.