XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EOL for Firefox 52 esr?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 am 

Am I reading this correctly - is Firefox 52 esr finished as of tomorrow?
(2nd paragraph of the original post)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1214886

If that is the case, is it time to upgrade to 60esr? and waterfox (?) as WZZZ suggested (copying/saving profile and bookmarks before I leave 52esr)

Any easy way to do this?
Bookmarks will survive the upgrade?
I suspect add-ons won't and I'll have to come back and ask how to get uBlock origin and NoScript working again, if that's even going to be possible...

Thanks for any help on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:27 pm 

Would be EOL as of 9/03, when the 62 is released, my understanding:

Attachment:
FF Release Schedule.png
FF Release Schedule.png [ 40.32 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Because of constant hangs from CPU spikes (probably some addon, but too lazy to investigate), I've hardly been using the 52.9esr. I have the 60.1esr (spent countless hours last winter customizing that using various CSS (userChrome.css--mostly Aris of Classic Theme Restorer https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSfor ... /tag/2.0.3, and earlier versions, and some other CSS found in various places), so that it mostly resembles the 52.9esr--not a rabbit hole you want to go down, believe me, and Waterfox, which I like as it continues to support all my older XUL addons, and which I've also managed to have resemble the FF52--not just nostalgia, I think it functions better. I alternate between the WF and the 60.1esr. WF is completely safe (and fast--no hangs) until it needs a security patch, which usually takes a week or two. In the interim I just stay with FF.

Anyway, not much more time left for the 52esr.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 pm 

Depending on what extensions you're using 60 may be fine, although it looks quite different (and like Chrome uses substantially more RAM with each tab you open). There's nothing to be lost by backing up your profile, downloading 60, copying Firefox to the desktop, renaming it Firefox 60, then putting it in Applications and running it. You will have to sort through your extensions, they all need to be updated to a WebExtensions version (assuming the developer didn't throw up their hands in frustration at Mozilla's lack of foresight). If you find its too frustrating then dump Firefox 60, delete the existing profiles, copy in your backup, and try Waterfox. I think they use the same profiles, or Waterfox can import the FF profile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:35 pm 

WF uses its own profile. Been a while, but remember giving pretty complete instructions. Should end up looking more or less like the 52esr if you follow those instructions. Since it’s based on FF56 (but now modified to take advantage of the speed and other improvements of the 60, or maybe 61), it can use the 56 versions of addons. Remember, 56 just preceded the Quantum, which started using Web Extension addons. This means it still supports all the older addons now known as “legacy” addons.